iPad 3 this October *Updated - DELAYED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
So *if* there is one coming in Oct, what will the pricing be?

Will the iPad 2 still remain on sale, and the new version will be more expensive? Or will the iPad 3 knock the iPad 2 out, and keep the $499/$599/$699 pricing? What do you think?

Chris

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If they do release this year I'll be pretty miffed as I have a 3 day old ipad 2 64 3G!!! It would be wrong of Apple to release this year, these things are too expensive to churn out 2 per year.

Apple need to take a look at BMW and what they did. They had a pretty good thing going with a few series (3, 5, 7 and possibly include 8 series) on offer with high level performance models as the pinnacle of each series. A nice niche area in high quality high spec cars that attained a level of exclusivity. Now, in my opinion, they have a bloated portfolio which has diluted the marque and lost that exclusivity.

I'm not saying that Apple or BMW should only be within the reach of the elite, far from it. i'm pointing at the word diluted. Seriously, who in the right mind is going to go out and spend ?660 GBP for device that is going to be replaced in LESS than six months.

Don't buy the top model? Well I got this model so I can do away with my laptop (except for extreme applications), my CD player and I wanted 3G for true portability and the GPS chip.

Now to think that ipad 3 could be here inside 4 months has me shouting I want a refund. i work in IT and see thing come and go at a staggering rate, but this is ridiculous.

I agree with the above comments on retina display. The difference between ipad and my iphone 4 is astounding. I'd love retina display on ipad but I'm not going to rush out in October to buy one. Apple, you need to be careful with this strategy. I'm no Apple fan by any means, but I have two of your products based on the quality of the product, not the quantity. Leave that to other brands, you'll be respected more in the long run........

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If they do release this year I'll be pretty miffed as I have a 3 day old ipad 2 64 3G!!! It would be wrong of Apple to release this year, these things are too expensive to churn out 2 per year.

Wrong.

They may be too expensive to BUY to per year, but for Apple to make them, there is nothing wrong with that.

If someone feels they need to always have to newest and best model, then yes, they will end up paying more.

But Apple certainly doesn't make anyone do that.

I'm not saying that Apple or BMW should only be within the reach of the elite, far from it. i'm pointing at the word diluted. Seriously, who in the right mind is going to go out and spend ?660 GBP for device that is going to be replaced in LESS than six months.

But you act like it HAS to be replaced. Like you are being forced to, for whatever reason. Or that the older model suddenly isn't supported, doesn't work, or won't run the apps.

I am still using my iPad 1 - works perfectly fine.

I fully understanding wanting to upgrade each time to the newest model (I wanted to buy an iPad 2 when it was released) but remember, you aren't being forced to. And in fact, by rolling out iOS that will work with the previous generation, you could argue that Apple is saying "hey, it's okay if you don't upgrade - we will still give you some of these great features!".

Don't buy the top model? Well I got this model so I can do away with my laptop (except for extreme applications), my CD player and I wanted 3G for true portability and the GPS chip.

And if a new version comes out in October, does that somehow mean your iPad doesn't replace your laptop, CD player, it suddenly loses it's GPS and 3G?

Now to think that ipad 3 could be here inside 4 months has me shouting I want a refund. i work in IT and see thing come and go at a staggering rate, but this is ridiculous.

The rumors have been around for at least two or three months that there will be another release in October. If it is that important to have the newest model, you should have either waited or simply plan on upgrading. If, on the other hand, you wanted something to replace your laptop, CD player, with 3G and GPS (as you stated) - well, the iPad 2 still does all that.

Chris

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Chris - it was known to the Apple community, I personally had no idea untill after I ordered my ipad. Then I only knew of the possibility of ipad 3, I only started to seriously look into it this week through posts like Jeremy's. With ipad 2 only a few months old it's not something I'd of expected so soon. I even asked Apple a week after I ordered so I could cancel the order and wait but Apple refused to comment on an unanounced product, which is fair enough.

I would of liked the choice. I'm not into having the latest hardware, the laptop it replaced is a 2003 Dell item! I have all the power I need at work. I can see how my post may seem somewhat materialistic and only interested in top line, but trust me I'm not. The CD player ipad replaced wasn't even remote control! I like quality products that last and, although software will still be supported on ipad 2, retina display would be too much to pass. When I saw the iphone 4 display it blew me away. My ipad 2 is fantastic, I can't believe how slick it operates but like I've said, retina display seals the deal for me.

Yes, they are cheap for Apple to make (though I doubt their R&D would ssay not) but they still have to sell them regardless of cost and if they start to get a reputation for churning pads out twice a year then I think sales may drop. Look how many products HTC and Samsung are releasing. Nokia, once the giant of mobiles started to churn handset after handset out that was half finished (n97) or production development units (think n900), and they've just done that again with n950 and meego....... After the announced that they are going Microsoft.

Job's has said on TV that apple doesn't ship junk. That may start to happen, in fact it probably already has:

Iphone 4 signal issues and problems with yellow screen (glue not given time to cure because of mass volume manufacturing pressures)

Ipad 2 light leakage problem

With the exception of the signal, which is a design flaw, the other problems are down to QC problems through and not having enough time spent on testing and development. If you start increasing new product releases then quality will suffer, it's unavoidable.

Also, I don't have a clue behind the logic. Why not just hold off releasing ipad 2 untill the year end and launch the ipad 3 technology as the ipad 2?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So *if* there is one coming in Oct, what will the pricing be?

Will the iPad 2 still remain on sale, and the new version will be more expensive? Or will the iPad 3 knock the iPad 2 out, and keep the $499/$599/$699 pricing? What do you think?

Chris

I have zero clue as to what the price will be but I'm assuming it will be the same and a slight price drop with the iPad 2. Just a safe speculation.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I had a long response typed up, but I didn't want to get into a flame war or anything on Jeremy's thread. :)

I apologize if this post (or the previous one) sounds harsh or "dick-ish". I don't mean it that way. I am just saying that you dictate your own purchasing schedule - not Apple. If you want to buy, go ahead. If you want to wait, then wait. If you want to buy, then upgrade again shortly, it's your choice. No gun is being held to your head in any scenario. Either way, the device you purchased still will do whatever you purchased it for (and maybe more) even if a new model comes out.

Any "need" for a new model is your decision, and you can't fault Apple for your desire to upgrade, regardless of whatever reason you want to. And if you decide you do want to get the iPad 3, you can either wait, return yours, or upgrade when it comes out again - again, your choice.

Chris

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have zero clue as to what the price will be but I'm assuming it will be the same and a slight price drop with the iPad 2. Just a safe speculation.

I am just wondering since it was so close to the release of iPad 2 if they would add a new tier (iPad "Pro" or something). Just curious.

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Chris

Nope, didn't come across as dickish. You hold view as strongly as I do mine. It's all good.

Jeremy

You are obviously held in high regard on this forum and from reading of what people have said regarding your posts on here, your inside info is reliable.

Are you able to speculate if ipad 3 does have retina display and if so, what resolution are we talking?

Thanks
Darren

nyanyanmeow

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
retina display would be 50/50 i'd say.

all i can say is perhaps they'll bring out an ipad with :

i) better camera with led flash
ii) since the a5 is a big chip with still an abundant place to be filled with, maybe we'll see a new variation of the a5 (quad core perhaps with bigger ram)
iii) LTE

that's just my 2cent yo~

still my sources are kinda correct as well most of the time but we don't hear anything regarding the ipad 3. even my sources in the so called "assembly factory" says there's no item shipment yet for them to assemble.

remember, the iPad 2's production starts on September '10.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
With iPad 2 demand still high and expected to grow in Q3, and supply still an issue, there's no way iPad 3 is coming in Oct... I don't care about the sources, there's no way apple will do that... If anything, and if iPhone 5 is a sign, apple is moving to slighty longer (than exactly yearly) timelines between releases

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Chris

Nope, didn't come across as dickish. You hold view as strongly as I do mine. It's all good.

Jeremy

You are obviously held in high regard on this forum and from reading of what people have said regarding your posts on here, your inside info is reliable.

Are you able to speculate if ipad 3 does have retina display and if so, what resolution are we talking?

Thanks
Darren

100% positive that the display has been improved greatly but I am not sure of the resolution or what Apple will call it though I'm sure they will give it the "Retina" name.

I can also see them discounting the current iPad a good amount and keeping that in circulation as the "lower end" iPad. Hence Apple shipping so many in the 3rd quarter...

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

An interesting twist to this story... that Apple has most of the major manufacturing players tied up with iPad/iPhone upgrade parts and keeping those suppliers to busy to supply the competitors parts for their tablets... smart move... build a huge lead and then lock out the competition however you can.

Love him or hate him, Jobs is genius.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's important to remember that it was not Apple's intention to release the iPad 2 the way they did. It was pushed out to satisfy Verizon.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How so? What was behind it the push from Verizon?

I wouldn't say he's a genius, a pationate visionary yes.

The reason the next iPhone is coming in October is solely based on Verizon getting the iPhone 4 so late. When they got the iPhone they asked for an iPad with their 3G connectivity. Now enter a half baked iPad 2. The iPad 2 as we know it is thanks to Verizon. I can tell you that is 100% fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.