My brother has an iPad 2 wifi edition. It has the 5.0.1 ipsw file installed on it. The iPad has been stuck in recover mode for a year now(as you can tell by the 5.0.1) he mistakenly tried to update the software while being jailbroken. I warned him not to, but he had a moment of forgetfullness. I've tried countless ways to try and fix this issue and I've done hours upon hours of research. I felt the need to start a new thread because nothing I do seems to work. I will never get the numerous hours I've spent on this iPad back, but it's become a challenge to fix. Here are the issues and the steps I've taken to try and fix this possessed iPad!

It's stuck in recovery mode.
    Every single time I try and restore the iPad it gives me Error 3194....every.....single....time!

To try and fix this error and update the iPad I've done many different things that I've found online with no luck:
    iFaith
    iReb
    Tiny Umbrella
    Red Snow
    Green(something)
    Deleting the last two lines in my host file created by apple.
    Changing the file "hosts" to "hosts.ics"
    Moving the hosts file to the desktop, turning the firewall off on my laptop and then updating/restoring

I've tried a few others with absolutely no progress. I'm nervous that this iPad is bricked. I can't tell you how badly I hope that isn't true.

Is there anyone here much smarter than me that can help!?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance!
    04-27-2014 06:09 PM
    Yeah. The 5.0.1 ipsw is outdated. Apple isn't signing it anymore. Just hit restore in iTunes and let it download iOS 7.1.1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on it. Make sure the host files are the original ones. You may have to repair iTunes by downloading it again, opening it and choosing the repair option.
    04-27-2014 06:15 PM
    What exactly do you mean when you say to "make sure the host files are the original ones?"
    04-27-2014 07:48 PM
    What exactly do you mean when you say to "make sure the host files are the original ones?"
    He probably means the unchanged versions. Theoretically you should be able to restore the iPad to ios 7.1.1 without an issue. Have you tried restoring the iPad in DFU mode?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    04-27-2014 08:10 PM
    I meant changing this to the originals. "Changing the file "hosts" to "hosts.ics" "
    04-27-2014 08:11 PM
    Delete any old iOS firmwares on your computer, place in DFU mode and update as new thru iTunes.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    04-27-2014 09:24 PM
    Delete any old iOS firmwares on your computer, place in DFU mode and update as new thru iTunes.
    This is what I meant. Thanks!
    rdiddy_25 likes this.
    04-27-2014 09:34 PM
    What you mentioned above like TinyUmbrella, Redsn0w, etc. are all tools that is claimed to exit iPhone recovery mode. There is also a new gadget called Tenorshare ReiBoot that is claimed to fix iPhone that stuck on recovery mode screen. You can just have a try, it is free and safe. Without restoring and connecting your iPhone, iPad, iPod and all iOS devices to iTunes.

You can get it online. In order to get a safe version, you'd better download it from official site or CNET
    04-28-2014 04:59 AM
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will give all of these options a try later tonight after work!

Last night I updated to the latest version of iTunes and tried to recover through iTunes to the newest version. I failed multiple times, kept getting my buddy Error 3194. I may throw this iPad through the window before this is all said and done. I will give these ideas a shot tonight and let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for all of your input!
    04-28-2014 03:13 PM
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!

Tenorshare ReiBoot woked like magic! Me and my brother couldn't thank you enough. It's been a friggin year trying to get this thing back up and running.

My next task is to update my iPad now. I'm currently running 5.0.1(9A405) What is the best version to update to where I can continue to be jailbroken?

What you mentioned above like TinyUmbrella, Redsn0w, etc. are all tools that is claimed to exit iPhone recovery mode. There is also a new gadget called Tenorshare ReiBoot that is claimed to fix iPhone that stuck on recovery mode screen. You can just have a try, it is free and safe. Without restoring and connecting your iPhone, iPad, iPod and all iOS devices to iTunes.

You can get it online. In order to get a safe version, you'd better download it from official site or CNET
    05-12-2014 12:29 PM
    Hi! I know this is over a year now but I would like to ask how we're you able to exit using reiboot? Coz My Ipad2 is jailbroken and I've been trying to exit from recovery mode. Did you completely restored or just exit the recovery mode? I also use Reiboot but it just keeps getting back to itunes and cord. Help pls I need all my files. Thanks in advance.
    04-10-2015 02:44 PM