After I had a security alarm installed in my home, I can barely get a signal on my iPad 2. Security company has checked signal and says that they do not interfere with the signal that it is my wifi through Time Warner. Time Warner has come out and says my signal is strong, which it is on my Mac, they gave me the strongest modem available. I used to be able to use my iPad everywhere in my house and outside, now it barely gets a signal anywhere. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It's very frustrating to not be able to use my iPad. Could it be a firewall problem somewhere? Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Vicki
    09-22-2013 06:47 PM
    After I had a security alarm installed in my home, I can barely get a signal on my iPad 2. Security company has checked signal and says that they do not interfere with the signal that it is my wifi through Time Warner. Time Warner has come out and says my signal is strong, which it is on my Mac, they gave me the strongest modem available. I used to be able to use my iPad everywhere in my house and outside, now it barely gets a signal anywhere. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It's very frustrating to not be able to use my iPad. Could it be a firewall problem somewhere? Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Vicki
    It’s not a firewall issue. First of all, a wifi signal is not subject to a firewall, and even if it was, a firewall issue would be all or nothing...

Do you know what kind of wireless router you are using? Most of the older (or cheaper) models do not support dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz) wifi - they only do 2.4ghz. The problem with the 2.4ghz is that the band is incredibly crowded - by everything from cordless phones to microwave ovens... if you can pinpoint the start of your problems and can sync that up with any event (like the security system install), you may have found the culprit. Do you have any wireless components in your security system? Things like window/door sensors are sometimes wireless to reduce cost/effort of running wire to standard sensors... and it’s very likely that they are of the 2.4ghz variety that are interfering with your wifi signal.

Is the signal to your iPad any better in any specific area of your home? Is it significantly worse in any area? Try going to the room where your router is and see if it’s any better. I suspect that you have some serious interference in your home - and it’s being caused by whatever changed recently. Despite their assurances, if it coincides with the installation of the security system, it probably is that.

Also, if you could post the name/brand of the security system, we can see if there are known issues with it... or at least check the specs for possible conflicts.
    09-22-2013 07:00 PM