iPad 2 - strange (software bug?) problem with lock-screen button

iPadUsah

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello All!

I have an iPad 2 and i think there's something wrong with its lock-screen button.
As far as i know, 1 tap on that button should lock and turn off the screen but it doesn't work on my iPad.
I thought "OK, it seems that button is dead"... but NO! It works because when i hold the button bit longer, iOS asks me to slide the bar in order to turn my device off.
I have also tried locking my screen by "software" button available in AssesiveTouch but it doesn't work either.
Just to add - I have tried to reset my iPad, restore iOS from the beginning and it didn't work.

The only way to lock it is to set the auto-lock to turn the screen off after few minutes.
I forgot to add that screenshot (home+lock-screen) works without any problem.

Do you maybe know what's happening?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Assisting you is important to us and there are times when the members of this community who can best provide you with assistance to your particular issue or concern may not be available at the time of your post so please be patient while awaiting a reply. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the various sections of the iMore forum as well as the iMore Blog and check back periodically for a reply to your post. Thank you.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Assisting you is important to us and there are times when the members of this community who can best provide you with assistance to your particular issue or concern may not be available at the time of your post so please be patient while awaiting a reply. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the various sections of the iMore forum as well as the iMore Blog and check back periodically for a reply to your post. Thank you.
Seriously, you put him on hold? :)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello All!

I have an iPad 2 and i think there's something wrong with its lock-screen button.
As far as i know, 1 tap on that button should lock and turn off the screen but it doesn't work on my iPad.
I thought "OK, it seems that button is dead"... but NO! It works because when i hold the button bit longer, iOS asks me to slide the bar in order to turn my device off.
I have also tried locking my screen by "software" button available in AssesiveTouch but it doesn't work either.
Just to add - I have tried to reset my iPad, restore iOS from the beginning and it didn't work.

The only way to lock it is to set the auto-lock to turn the screen off after few minutes.
I forgot to add that screenshot (home+lock-screen) works without any problem.

Do you maybe know what's happening?
No clue what is happening, but a workaround would be to use a magnet. Doesn't have to be strong, the magnet in my Plantronics Voyager headset (that holds the charger cord on) is strong enough. There's a spot on the face, just below the volume buttons, that is a magnetic switch to turn off/on the display. If that works, get a Smart Cover either from Apple or a case that uses the Smart Cover "technology".

iPadUsah

May 10, 2013
Visit site
No clue what is happening, but a workaround would be to use a magnet. Doesn't have to be strong, the magnet in my Plantronics Voyager headset (that holds the charger cord on) is strong enough. There's a spot on the face, just below the volume buttons, that is a magnetic switch to turn off/on the display. If that works, get a Smart Cover either from Apple or a case that uses the Smart Cover "technology".

Thx for your reply.
Now I need to find some magnet :)

Florin Lupascu

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Helleo guys. I have the same problem with ipad 2 i have been changed the glass and i cut the flexible cable and i change this with one new but the power button its not working just wen i tryi to loock screen if i try to make print screen its working power off and on its working. i don't understand why the power button it's not working when i try to lock screen. can somebody help me?
thanks?

Bob Bonob

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Did any of you find a solution?
I also changed the LCD and digitizer glass of my iPad 2. The single click on the Power/sleep button doesn't work anymore to turn on/off screen.
Long pressing it works perfectly. Screenshots can also be made.
Using a magnet to turn of the screen (or smartcover) doesn't work eather. The option to enable the "Cover lock/unlock" can't be found anymore in IOS 7.0.2.
I find some people on the internet with the same problem, but no solutions. As far as I know, I did not damage the power flex cable.
Any more suggestions?
Thank you!

Adrian Byrne

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Clearly something is going wrong with the OS here. The button single press isn't working, but the button itself clearly is I.e. A long press works. Also, the lock screen function in assist I've touch isn't working, but a long press on that gives me the option to switch off. I have a Smart Cover and the magnet on that doesn't lock the screen any more.

What the hell is going on?

insidehardware

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I consider myself a repair technician. I have repaired dozens of iPads. Alls gens, wifi and cellular.

2 Days ago I replaced the digitizer screen on an iPad 2.
I replaced the wifi cable that I tore up in the process. To do so I had to disconnect the battery, and other plug in components to the iPad mother board.

When all finished, I tested it and it all worked fine, so I closed it up.
One of my best jobs in terms of aesthetics. Looks and feels new.

Problem 1. After my initial routine tests, I came back to it later on and... It had a dead battery symbol. Should not have given the previous charge, but I know unplugging the battery can do funny things. Has similar issues in the past. After letting it charge all day, still the same dead battery issue. Finally I plugged it into an iPad charger (the heavier and larger one) and after 10 minutes it powered on. Did my test and all was good. Ready for delivery. Then one last check and:

Problem 2. I do not think its a hardware issued but maybe an i0S 7?
a. iPad will power on after full shut down, by holding it down the power button for a full sec.
b. iPad will offer to power off is power button is held down for 3sec or so.
c. screen shots work (home + power button)
d. volume up, down, and mute work perfectly

e. iPad will not go to sleep mode or wake up from sleep mode using the power button.
f. iPad will not go to sleep mode using assistive touch.
g. iPad will not go to sleep mode or wake up from sleep mode using the apple smart cover case.
h. iPad will not respond to the use of a magnet on the right hand side below the volume switches.

Not sure how to proceed with my clients iPad.

Last edited:

insidehardware

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I be John Brown!

I found a half way solution.

1. I played around with lock setting. Turned off any passwords/screen locks.
2. Turned off the Lock/Unlock feature for the apple smart case.

And now the power button is working!!! Definitely an Apple glitch?

3. However, my client uses a smart case. It was given to me with a smart case. When I turn the feature back on, Im back to no power off/on features.

Makes me wonder if I may have disturbed the screen magnet receiver with heat or tools during screen removal...

abcdol

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I updated the iOS to 7.0.4 and this problem exists. I can't turn off the screen manually now, neither with assistive mode. Power slide and screenshot works well, but the power click to turn off screen is disabled. One of the main reason is that iOS 7 now detects genuine of replacement parts. For example, if you bought power cable, digitizer, or LCD replacement, or wifi cable from eBay or third party, and updated the OS to IOS 7, then most likely you will encounter this problem. There was a trick to turn off screen with assistive mode or disable the cover lock before iOS 7.0.2, but now they removed that too if you update your iPad to latest iOS.

p00ria

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It was driving me crazy after replacing the flex cable and everything and nothing worked.

Do this:

Go to Settings > General > there should be an option saying " Lock / Unlock ".. turn that off. It should fix the problem.:yes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR