Ipad 2 Power/Sleep/Wake Button Powers Down But Can't Sleep

xxcarlosxx

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced an Ipad 2 screen and noticed the power/sleep/wake button allows me to power down the Ipad, but I am not able to put it in sleep/standby mode. I was able to do a reset by holding down the home and power button, but no luck putting the Ipad in standby mode. Because I am able to power down, doesn't that mean the button is actually working? Is there something in the software that recognizes it has a single click versus a hold down? I tried restoring via itunes with no luck either. I am right now relying on the auto lock feature to put it in sleep mode, but was curious if anyone had seen this issue before. The iPad won't even go to lock screen through assistive touch..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that the screen does not go dark when you press the power button? If so, is it possible that you failed to connect something properly when you replaced your iPad display? If possible, can you not retrace your steps? If your certain that everything is connected properly and you've restored your iPad as new then I suggest you take it to a nearby Apple Store and have a genius troubleshoot it for you. They may replace the entire iPad for you.

xxcarlosxx

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that the screen does not go dark when you press the power button? If so, is it possible that you failed to connect something properly when you replaced your iPad display? If possible, can you not retrace your steps? If your certain that everything is connected properly and you've restored your iPad as new then I suggest you take it to a nearby Apple Store and have a genius troubleshoot it for you. They may replace the entire iPad for you.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, the screen does not go to sleep when I press it. The weird thing is that when I hold the same button, the turn off slider option comes up on the screen. It also works to take screenshots with the home/sleep button combination. So I'm pretty sure it's not hardware related. I will try to check all connections when I have time but I am considering taking it to the apple store, the only problem with that is that they only have appointments available in like 4 days and I'm in a hurry to fix it, as it is not my iPad.

Any other suggestions or specific cables I should check?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand. Well, you can connect the iPad to your computer, fire up the computer's iTunes app and then select to restore, but instead of restoring from a backup, set it up as NEW. Afterwards, see if the display will sleep. If so, then it is safe to assume the backup may contain a misconfiguration of some sort.

xxcarlosxx

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I understand. Well, you can connect the iPad to your computer, fire up the computer's iTunes app and then select to restore, but instead of restoring from a backup, set it up as NEW. Afterwards, see if the display will sleep. If so, then it is safe to assume the backup may contain a misconfiguration of some sort.

Already restore as new ipad twice /: I've never had this happen before

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Already restore as new ipad twice /: I've never had this happen before

Well, it's gotta be a hardware misconfiguration of some sort. Would definitely retrace the steps you took when you replaced the display or take it to a nearby Apple Store. Heck, call directly and see if there are any cancelled appointment times that you can slide into. I mean, I don't know what else to tell you.

xxcarlosxx

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
But if it is hardware then why does it not make it go to sleep with assistive touch? It should work through there right? Anyways, I appreciate all the help and I'll check all the cable contacts when I get home. If that doesn't help, then I'll try to visit the apple store.

I also forgot to mention that when I changed the screen, the button wasn't working at all so I replaced the button. Maybe I'll try to order a new cable to see if this one is faulty.

djsin99

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I hate to piggy back off a thread from April, but I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster. I found this thread through a Google search.

I have an iPad 3 that just had the screen replaced and now the power button will not put the iPad into sleep mode or wake it up. However, I can hold the power button down and get the power off slide bar to come up to power off the iPad completely. I can also hold the power button down along with the home button for 10 seconds and get the iPad to reboot. If I open up the Assistive Touch menu and hit the Device\Lock Screen button, it will not lock the screen. It won't do anything when I hit that button.

So, if the original poster found a way to fix it, please post your solution. I am trying to figure out what is wrong and how I can fix it.

Thanks,
DJSin99

djsin99

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, after messing around with my iPad 3 for about an hour, I was able to fix the problem where the button would not put the iPad to sleep or wake it. I am not if the this solution will work for anyone else or not, but I thoght I would post it anyway.

All I did was go into the options and turned off my Passcode Lock (effectively removing the passcode to unlock my iPad). I had an exchange server email account from work that required the passcode feature to work, so I delete that email account before it would let me turn off the Passcode Lock. Once both the exchange account and the Passcode lock were removed, the sleep/wake function of the power button immediately started working again. I then went back in and turned Passcode lock back on and re-added the exchange account and the sleep/wake function still works. So, it looks like the problem was a software glitch (at least in my case). Also, the Lock Screen button on the Assistive Touch menu now works perfectly fine.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else out there that may have problems with the sleep/wake function after replacing their iPad screens.

Thanks,
DJSin99

**** UPDATE / EDIT *****
Well, I started doing some more digging and I don't think it has anything to do with the Passcode Lock or the Exchange email. I forgot that I had turned off the "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" option while I was trying to figure out a fix for the problem. After I got things working, I went back in to turn it back on so my case would sleep/wake my iPad when I opened or closed the cover. As soon as I turned the "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" setting back on, the power button quick working to sleep/wake my iPad again. As soon as I turned the option back off, the power button went back to working normal, so I think it has something to do with either a glitch for that software setting after a screen is replaced or something with the mag sensor being damaged before/during the screen replacement. Anyway, good luck to others trying to fix similar problems.

Last edited:

Luis Trasto

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It had everything to do with the passcode lock. After hours of digging the internet the only thing that worked was turning off the passcode lock. It instantly worked again! Thanks for your help!!

Calin Popoviciu

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me:

**** UPDATE / EDIT *****
Well, I started doing some more digging and I don't think it has anything to do with the Passcode Lock or the Exchange email. I forgot that I had turned off the "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" option while I was trying to figure out a fix for the problem. After I got things working, I went back in to turn it back on so my case would sleep/wake my iPad when I opened or closed the cover. As soon as I turned the "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" setting back on, the power button quick working to sleep/wake my iPad again. As soon as I turned the option back off, the power button went back to working normal, so I think it has something to do with either a glitch for that software setting after a screen is replaced or something with the mag sensor being damaged before/during the screen replacement. Anyway, good luck to others trying to fix similar problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative