iPad 2 specs, Good Enough?

Gorilla

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 that i got used for xmas, and it has worked out very well for taking notes, and being my computer at college..

But I worry that the specs are outdated...

512 ram

1024x768 screen.

DO you all thing the screen is bad on the ipad 2? I mean i think its fine, for my uses, but im really envious of the newer iPads with the retina display.

also i worry about the ram being a bottleneck to speed...

I dont game hardly on my ipad, just use it for web/apps/notes so maybe i should just sit tight.

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To answer your initial question, yes, the iPad 2 should be sufficient for the uses you mentioned. I have an iPad 2 and have had it for quite some time and I have no intentions of upgrading to a newer iPad until it craps out on me. Period! Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the newer iPads that have the retina display. The display is gorgeous and those iPads are indeed powerful, but, are they what you "need"? Based on what you've posted, I would say that you don't. Still, it's your money, your time and your choice. Choose wisely...:)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 that i got used for xmas, and it has worked out very well for taking notes, and being my computer at college..

I bought the iPad 2new last April when the "New iPad" came out. Eould I have preferred the new one with the Retia display? Absolutely. Do I regret not getting it? Only for displaying photos.

Side by side comparisons have shown an effective zero difference in device speed. All of the spec boost from the larger RAM and better CPU goes to driving that Retina display leaving apps with the same amount of resources as the iPad 2.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had an iPad 2 for 15 months now and had no issues with it and it's plenty "Good Enough" as my daily mobile work device. It runs the apps I use fine - bear in mind most 3rd Party apps were designed for the lower spec iPad in the first place - and that includes work apps, some games, TV streaming apps, etc. Though frankly, I've yet to find the quintessential word processor for it. But that's an app lapse, not an iDevice one.

As long as it's battery is still strong and its storage is large enough for your needs, it will be fine. Bear in mind, during the last iPad refresh, it was the 'New' iPad Apple dumped in favour of holding onto the iPad 2. And it was the iPad 2's specs used for the Mini. The retina 4 is lovely, but almost entirely unnecessary for 99% of real-world use.

bbsadaj

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i also got my iPad 2 last may after the "new iPad" came out and also have used mine for school. there's always going to be a newer something in the pipe. as long as its functional you're good.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind, during the last iPad refresh, it was the 'New' iPad Apple dumped in favour of holding onto the iPad 2. And it was the iPad 2's specs used for the Mini. The retina 4 is lovely, but almost entirely unnecessary for 99% of real-world use.

"Dumped"? I know Apple replaced the Dock Connector with the new Lightning connector, and maybe upgraded a few other items internally. But there isn't enough of a spec difference to "allow" Apple to sell the 3rd gen device at the lower iPad 2 price.

I'm somewhat surprised that the iPad 2 is still available new. I'd have thought that Apple would "dump" it in favor of the Mini.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
"Dumped"? I know Apple replaced the Dock Connector with the new Lightning connector, and maybe upgraded a few other items internally. But there isn't enough of a spec difference to "allow" Apple to sell the 3rd gen device at the lower iPad 2 price.

I'm somewhat surprised that the iPad 2 is still available new. I'd have thought that Apple would "dump" it in favor of the Mini.

People still like the full size. That's why it wasn't dumped.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
To answer your initial question, yes, the iPad 2 should be sufficient for the uses you mentioned. I have an iPad 2 and have had it for quite some time and I have no intentions of upgrading to a newer iPad until it craps out on me. Period! Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the newer iPads that have the retina display. The display is gorgeous and those iPads are indeed powerful, but, are they what you "need"? Based on what you've posted, I would say that you don't. Still, it's your money, your time and your choice. Choose wisely...:)

Exactly the same situation as me. I have the 64Gb 3G iPad 2 and it suits my needs absolutely perfectly. Like JustMe'D, I won't upgrade to the newest one until this one craps out on me either, as there is simply no need. I only use mine for reading text, internet browsing and the occasional game. To be honest, all the games I do play on it are not very graphics intensive as I have god's own PC to game on should I want to do that.

Gorilla, unless you NEED the Retina display (or just must have the latest shiny), from what you say, the iPad 2 will be more than adequate for your needs.

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had my iPad 2 since launch, and it has never let me down. It still hums along and handles everything i throw at. Its a very versatile device. It will be a while before I replace it.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I keep thinking that I should upgrade my iPad. But I think that I'm going to wait for the iPad 6. It should come out the same year as the iPhone 6. I will get them both at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox