Won new iPad2 from work. What should I do with it?

Pre-dawn raid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Like the title states, I won a brand new iPad2 from a drawing I was entered into at work. I don't have any Apple products ('cept an old Nano for gym) because I'm more of an Android guy. I'm struggling in my mind with what to do with it once it arrives. Here are the options I've come up with:

1. Sell it on Craigslist and get the iPad mini.
2. Keep it and use it and see what Apple/iOS is all about.
3. Sell it and add some cash and spring for the iPad4
4. Sell it and pocket the money.

My current devices are: rooted Android smartphone, rooted Nook Color (basically a 7" tablet).

So, what would you guys do since you know much more about these devices than I? Thanks and this is my first post on TiPB.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like the title states, I won a brand new iPad2 from a drawing I was entered into at work. I don't have any Apple products ('cept an old Nano for gym) because I'm more of an Android guy. I'm struggling in my mind with what to do with it once it arrives. Here are the options I've come up with:

1. Sell it on Craigslist and get the iPad mini.
Why sell it and get the mini? They almost identical except for the size.
2. Keep it and use it and see what Apple/iOS is all about.
Apple is a brand and I'm sure you've heard about its products. Still, this is a good option to consider.
3. Sell it and add some cash and spring for the iPad4
Why spend money on a similar product? Yes, the 4th generation iPad is technically superior, but does it make sense to not use what you got for free and arguably doing the exact same things you would be doing if you paid for the newer version?
4. Sell it and pocket the money.
This is another good option to consider.

My current devices are: rooted Android smartphone, rooted Nook Color (basically a 7" tablet).

So, what would you guys do since you know much more about these devices than I? Thanks and this is my first post on TiPB.
If you are true to your word about being an Android guy AND you are content with the devices you currently own, then I would go with option 4. However, if you actually want to experience Apple, then I would choose option 2. Options 1 and 3 would not even register with me if I were in your shoes. Anyway, I hope I was helpful. Take care...:)

Pre-dawn raid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Why sell it and get the mini? They almost identical except for the size.

The reason for this option is I like the size of my Nook Color at 7" and I feel the full size iPad might be too big and heavy to hold for long periods. True, I am an Android user, but I am also a fan of technology and gadgets in general. My live-in girlfriend has ALL Apple products including the iPhone 5 so I am aware of their build quality. Thanks for your feedback and voice of reason.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason for this option is I like the size of my Nook Color at 7" and I feel the full size iPad might be too big and heavy to hold for long periods. True, I am an Android user, but I am also a fan of technology and gadgets in general. My live-in girlfriend has ALL Apple products including the iPhone 5 so I am aware of their build quality. Thanks for your feedback and voice of reason.

I understand. Anyway, good luck on whatever you choose and have a great evening.

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to see what Apple is all about, you can definitely do that with the iPad 2. The only thing you'll be missing is the breathtaking retina display and faster speeds. It is fast already though. I want the iPad mini myself and I have the 2 now. The only difference is size and camera therefore I see no reason for you to go through the hassle and try to sell it for the mini being that you are a new iOS user. All that being said and if I were you, option 2 would be my choice.

Pre-dawn raid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Went to the Apple store in Durham today and put the iPad2 and 4 next to each other. While I could definitely see the difference in screen res such as the edges of the icons, I don't see it as worth an extra ~$200 (difference between sale of iPad2 and iPad4). So therefore, I eliminate option 3 on my list. The ipad mini on the other hand...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Went to the Apple store in Durham today and put the iPad2 and 4 next to each other. While I could definitely see the difference in screen res such as the edges of the icons, I don't see it as worth an extra ~$200 (difference between sale of iPad2 and iPad4).
If you were a photographer or videographer, you would.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got the mini and love its form factor- I have the ipad 3 and see the screen resolution difference but its so light and comfortable to hold... I would chose door number 1

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
OP - I you want a smaller form factor, something you can use to read in bed, and/or something that is more easily carried around, trading for a mini makes good sense.

I had a 2, then sold it for a 3, but sold that to get the mini and zero regrets. For me, the mini form factor is so much more useful and in turn I'm actually using the mini more - where before I was finding the full size iPad under utilized... Anyways... My 2 ?

Pre-dawn raid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well it finally came in the mail and I'm not entirely sure what version I have. All it says on the box is 'iPad'. How do I know if I do, in fact, have the iPad2 like my company rep told me? My barcode scanner app couldn't quite focus on the barcode.

eric6052

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted Nook Color that I got as my first tablet. For the price it is a pretty neat little gadget. I use an Android phone as well. I ended up getting an iPad 3 when they came out since I wanted a larger tablet and most of the larger Android tablets didn't interest me. I really enjoy the ipad experience and the quality and number of apps available is unbelievable. That being said i played with a Mini at the Apple store and my next iPad will be a Mini. You really are getting the iPad experience in a smaller package. It is obviously up to you what you do but if I were in your situation I would get the Mini.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR