Help! I lost all of my notes!

Jorji

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Help! I lost all of my notes from my ipad2. How did this happen? Did everything go bye bye when I deleted my gmail account...then added it back again? I tried this because I can't get mail..I just keep getting a message that says: " Cannot get mail. IMap.gmail is not responding, verify that you have the correct account info in mail settings". But... I didn't change a thing...so the settings should have been right. But then I tried deleting the account and adding it again. I had no idea it might be connected to my notes. How can I get my notes back?

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on how you had your notes synced... Have you been able to add your gmail account back yet.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Gmail has been having a problem, there was an article posted on the front of imores page:
Google says they're investigating "mail service imap.gmail.com is not responding" errors, no word on all the other errors... | iMore.com

Once you add back your gmail acct your notes should show back up. When & if they do, you should copy/paste each note into one email to your self and keep a copy of it, and add to it everytime you update your notes in your phone. Also check in your email settings for the gmail account, if notes is switched to ON then depending in what you prefer, you could turn it off and re add all of your notes again. When you do an iTunes back up via USB they'll be saved in your back up.

Unless you prefer having them synced with your gmail acct then leave everything as is.

I originally had my notes synced with my yahoo acct back in Nov., I wrote everything down on paper, shut the setting of notes off in my yahoo mail settings and then just retyped my notes all over again.

You also may want to look into an app called Evernote. You create an acct and for each device you dwld it onto, using that same acct, everytime you add/edit it'll sync to every device. A member JustMe'D suggested this to me and I use it between my ipad(1) and my Win7 laptop. Works great:)

Hope some of this has helped you:)

Jorji

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on how you had your notes synced... Have you been able to add your gmail account back yet.
Thank 3cit,
I did try to add the gmail acct back but it still won't get mail...same msg pops up saying iMac serveris not responding. Online w Verizon. ..now with apple tech support....will see what they say. Still on the phone

Jorji

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Gmail has been having a problem, there was an article posted on the front of imores page:
Google says they're investigating "mail service imap.gmail.com is not responding" errors, no word on all the other errors... | iMore.com

Once you add back your gmail acct your notes should show back up. When & if they do, you should copy/paste each note into one email to your self and keep a copy of it, and add to it everytime you update your notes in your phone. Also check in your email settings for the gmail account, if notes is switched to ON then depending in what you prefer, you could turn it off and re add all of your notes again. When you do an iTunes back up via USB they'll be saved in your back up.

Unless you prefer having them synced with your gmail acct then leave everything as is.

I originally had my notes synced with my yahoo acct back in Nov., I wrote everything down on paper, shut the setting of notes off in my yahoo mail settings and then just retyped my notes all over again.

You also may want to look into an app called Evernote. You create an acct and for each device you dwld it onto, using that same acct, everytime you add/edit it'll sync to every device. A member JustMe'D suggested this to me and I use it between my ipad(1) and my Win7 laptop. Works great:)

Thanks Pink...
I sure hope I do get my notes back once apple tech support gets this resolved on th phone here. I can get my mail thru the gmail website...but not thru the iPad app...which ..I assume..is where my notes will come back. I'm not a techie, but I learn as i go..this one is new to me. Sure am on hold a long time with apple tech...maybe they're still having probs with the imap not responding issus?? Will post the resulting resolution to the prob when apple tech gets ot done. ... If my phone charge lasts long enough!

Jorji

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

Creating emil drafts and Emails of important info to myself has been my common practice. I should have made sure I did it with my notes too...as you suggested. Live n learn! Thanks, Pink!

Jorji

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple tech support says there are current problems with imap.gmail server...and to wait about 24 hrs... When the issues resolved, I should have my notes back. sure hope so!

Daniel.Jones

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't got back you notes after resolving of the error of Gmail try some data recovery software for your iPad, it will provide your complete details of all the data stored once on your device storage memory.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your notes are most likely in the Notes folder on your Gmail email account. If you have your Gmail installed back, go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Gmail account> toggle OFF Notes. Then go to your gmail and check the Notes folder. Your notes should be there. See pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404561936.224722.jpg

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, after you recover your notes, leave Notes toggled OFF in settings for your gmail. Then toggle Notes ON for iCloud. Do this and you won't lose your notes. One other thing...The Notes folder in mail will not show if Notes is toggled ON in settings for that gmail account. For the Notes folder to show, Notes must be Toggled OFF in settings. Sounds backwards, but that's how it works.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Last edited:

butterfly916

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you thank you Ledsteplin. I lost all my notes on my iphone and checked my gmail and they were there! WOW THANK YOU! You saved my life, I had some critical work on there I couldn't afford to lose. Mental note to self -stop using notes to scribble any old info on and use a properly organised notetaker that will back up to dropbox like Fnotes or notability instead :big-hug:
Very relieved and very grateful

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73