How Often Does Apple Replace Cracked Screens for FREE?

nelsonn

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have heard from a few people that have cracked their screens and taken it into an Apple store, that Apple has replaced it for no cost.

Some people are charged, and some are not. Is there a particular matrix that Apple goes by? I'm wondering if it's worth a 2 hour drive to an Apple store in Calgary to find out, or just to buy a replacement screen on eBay.

Any advice would be great - thanks!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not that I have heard of... I have seen reports of freebie screen repair... but it's pretty much at the discretion of the Genius...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's just If you get lucky or not. Be nice to the employees at your local store and get to know a few. Then if you have issues, they are likely to hook you up for free.

nelsonn

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well after taking it into the Apple store and having them tell me it was $249 to replace it, I decided to buy a replacement screen online and try doing it myself. I watched a couple videos on Youtube and then went ahead and removed the screen.

During the process, I managed to cut the power flex cable, but no biggie - I just ordered a new one this morning for $3.99 from Hong Kong.

I also cut up the plastic trim that goes around the screen while taking the screen off, so I ordered another one of those.

Will follow up with an update as to success or failure...

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Well after taking it into the Apple store and having them tell me it was $249 to replace it, I decided to buy a replacement screen online and try doing it myself. I watched a couple videos on Youtube and then went ahead and removed the screen.

During the process, I managed to cut the power flex cable, but no biggie - I just ordered a new one this morning for $3.99 from Hong Kong.

I also cut up the plastic trim that goes around the screen while taking the screen off, so I ordered another one of those.

Will follow up with an update as to success or failure...

Sounds like it's going well..

Sadarian

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I see this is an old thread but to just add an update - My wife cracked her iPhone 5s screen and got it repaired for free at the Apple Store. The reason they gave us for the free repair was because the crack went straight across the phone from one side to the other with no identifiable point of contact from a drop.

Russellallyn

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I dropped my iphone6 with a wallet case on and two corners cracked. No dent or scratch on phone so maybe they will replace my screen for free too. I have a genius bar appointment this sunday and will update and let you know what happens!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro