Small area cracked on corner of iPad, what to do?

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
So the top left corner (portrait mode) of my iPad is now cracked, see pictures attached. I've checked and it's around $230 to fix. It's really not that bad and you don't notice it because it's not touching the screen, only bezel area. My question is, should I get it fixed or deal with it? If I deal with it, how should I address the cracked area? I don't want the little pieces of glass falling out, or will that even happen? I also don't want to add a screen protector because I use my iPad for note taking and that completely changes everything when adding a screen protector. Any ideas?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You can do a out of warranty replacement with Apple. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $299 I think. I couldn't stand lookign at that.

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
You can do a out of warranty replacement with Apple. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $299 I think. I couldn't stand lookign at that.
Believe me, it makes me sick to look at it. I just want this one to hang on until the new New iPad next year.

And for the record, I had the Incase Magnet Snap Case on it, as you can see from the picture.
( Magnetic Snap Case for iPad 3rd gen and iPad 2 by Incase ).

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the tips. I usually try to do most things like this myself, but I'm very nervous about trying to fix this. I'm almost willing to live with it but need something to keep it from spreading or small pieces from falling out. I plan to visit a couple of places locally that do this type of repair and get an estimate. I've also setup an appointment at Apple on Wednesday.

fftaz336

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I usually try to do most things like this myself, but I'm very nervous about trying to fix this. I'm almost willing to live with it but need something to keep it from spreading or small pieces from falling out. I plan to visit a couple of places locally that do this type of repair and get an estimate. I've also setup an appointment at Apple on Wednesday.
Be careful. The more it cracks the harder it is to replace it. If you cause the crack to spread more it will be very hard for you to get all of the pieces off when you replace the screen.

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
You didn't say which iPad you had. I just did this and it went very well.

Instructions - iPad 2 Wi-Fi Front Panel Replacement - iFixit

Parts - https://www.etechparts.com/iPad-2-Black-Glass-and-Digitizer-Touch-Panel-p/822-8263.htm

This digitizer front screen comes with a new home button and the adhesive tap on the screen already. You can order it without these and it will be cheaper.

I have the wifi / AT&T model, iPad 2. Had you done anything like this before?

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Did you order the new home button and adhesive tape? Seems like the home button be worth it so that it's flush and secure. I'm very tempted to try.

fftaz336

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It seemed like a good idea. Might as well replace the home button while you have it open. And the adhesive tape is good because you will destroy the existing tape removing it.

Word of advice. Once you get the cover off. Be careful of the LCD ribbon cable and the WiFi antenna. Follow the instructions very carefully.
Before placing the new screen on. Remove all of the existing tape and residue. If you don't then new tape will not stick properly.

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok, thanks. Still nervous about it and will check a few local places first, but I'm leaning toward giving this a try. After watching the video above, it really doesn't seem too hard. Just have to be patient and very careful.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Why dont you look for an exchange partner? I mean you can either go for out of warranty replacement, or you can exchange it with someone how really wants to have an ipad and doesnt care much about a small crack, so try that, who knows you may come across some mad Apple fan! :D

mya s

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, the same thing happened to mine only a little bigger, i know it looks bad, but its a waist if money to get it even if its not affecting to ipad. If it gets worse, and goes onto the screen and its hard to play with i would buy it

Hope that helped😃

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Black electrical tape :)

I have an iPad with cracked glass too. I ran a strip of electrical tape all around the black bezel and put the ipad in a case that covers the bezel. You cant even tell its broken.

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
So the top left corner (portrait mode) of my iPad is now cracked, see pictures attached. I've checked and it's around $230 to fix. It's really not that bad and you don't notice it because it's not touching the screen, only bezel area. My question is, should I get it fixed or deal with it? If I deal with it, how should I address the cracked area? I don't want the little pieces of glass falling out, or will that even happen? I also don't want to add a screen protector because I use my iPad for note taking and that completely changes everything when adding a screen protector. Any ideas?

It will definitely get worse over time. Where do you live? I repair those in my area for $175. You will likely tear the power flex cable and wifi antenna during the repair. Most first timers do that, even after professional training. The photo is not clear enough for me to be able to tell you if the frame will need to be bent, filed, or left alone.

Also, be careful choosing a digitizer. They are not all the same. Just like tires: they're all round, they're all black, but come rain or snow, and you really see the difference.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Black electrical tape :)

I have an iPad with cracked glass too. I ran a strip of electrical tape all around the black bezel and put the ipad in a case that covers the bezel. You cant even tell its broken.

I would do this till I upgrade and then sell the ipad as is

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

ttchloe64

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just remedied same problem. Crack in corner, with a chip of glass missing. Not worth replacing glass as
It does not interfere with screen. Solution I found - black nail polish, Walmart, Sally Hansen hard as nails. A couple of coats seems to hold everything together and you only notice at an angle.
Good Luck!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods