With the iPhone 5 likely having LTE, would owners of the wifi only iPad 2 be able to tether (using the iPhone hotspot) to the iPhone and thus gain access to the faster pace of the LTE network as opposed to 3G? Or is that a pipe dream?
    03-19-2012 05:02 PM
    That will indeed be possible. I'm looking forward to it... get the next iPhone, with LTE - and maybe Verizon will have a deal going to do the hot spot for free on the new iPhone as they did with some of their LTE Driods.
    03-19-2012 05:08 PM
    With the iPhone 5 likely having LTE, would owners of the wifi only iPad 2 be able to tether (using the iPhone hotspot) to the iPhone and thus gain access to the faster pace of the LTE network as opposed to 3G? Or is that a pipe dream?
    That's my plan. My wife upgraded to the iP4 just before the iP4s was announced and has regretted it since I got the new model, however she will be getting whatever nomenclature the next gen LTE iPhone receives and we will use it with the iPad. As kch50428 said hopefully Verizon will offer a sweet deal...
    03-20-2012 01:20 PM
    That is my plan as wee. I am using the hotspot on my iPhone now.
    03-20-2012 01:49 PM
    As an avid Android devotee, I just broke down and bought my first Apple product. My wife has a MacBook Pro, and iPhone 4 and I just got her an iPad3 for our anniversary. After messing around w/ her iPad i bought myself an iPad2 the next week. I have it tethered to my HTC Thunderbolt (4g LTE) Android phone and got 15mb down 8mb up on speedtest today. The wifi model is the way to go hands down, coupled with wireless tether, you have a mobile hotspot wherever you go! I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a year now and if the iPhone 5 comes out w/ 4g as speculated, i'm likely to fully convert. I assume you have to be jailbroken to tether on apple?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-05-2012 10:54 PM
    As an avid Android devotee, I just broke down and bought my first Apple product. My wife has a MacBook Pro, and iPhone 4 and I just got her an iPad3 for our anniversary. After messing around w/ her iPad i bought myself an iPad2 the next week. I have it tethered to my HTC Thunderbolt (4g LTE) Android phone and got 15mb down 8mb up on speedtest today. The wifi model is the way to go hands down, coupled with wireless tether, you have a mobile hotspot wherever you go! I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a year now and if the iPhone 5 comes out w/ 4g as speculated, i'm likely to fully convert. I assume you have to be jailbroken to tether on apple?

You only need to be jailbroken if you don't have the hotspot plan! If you have it, the feature is in the settings.
    04-06-2012 07:17 AM
    Works great! It's not 4G but 3G works fine on my wifi iPad. Jail breaking is so awesome!!!
    04-06-2012 07:39 AM
    You only need to be jailbroken if you don't have the hotspot plan! If you have it, the feature is in the settings.
    hehe, i refuse to pay an additional $20/month when i already pay $30/month for "unlimited" data. in my mind unlimited is unlimited and how i chose to use that data is of no concern to them. I"m sure the contract says something different, but that doesn't make it right :-)

04-06-2012 11:08 AM
    Do you have to only jailbreak the iPhone or does the iPad have to be also?
    04-08-2012 12:51 AM
    That will indeed be possible. I'm looking forward to it... get the next iPhone, with LTE - and maybe Verizon will have a deal going to do the hot spot for free on the new iPhone as they did with some of their LTE Driods.
    Will the free hotspot be from Verizon only, or Sprint and AT&T also? I am with Sprint
    04-11-2012 10:24 AM
    hehe, i refuse to pay an additional $20/month when i already pay $30/month for "unlimited" data. in my mind unlimited is unlimited and how i chose to use that data is of no concern to them. I"m sure the contract says something different, but that doesn't make it right :-)

It's never enough with cellular carriers. Same business model as with texting. They have the infrastructure in place and could allow you to utilize at no additional cost, but why do that when they can nickel and dime you to death?
    04-14-2012 07:33 PM
    I'm doing this right now with my 4G Razr and my new iPad by using the free app FoxFi. :thumbup:
    04-14-2012 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD