Erase all data taking 5+ hours?

AntCarretero

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've upgraded to the new iPad and am giving my iPad 2 to my girlfriend. She's asked that I restore it to factory settings (no big deal, right?) but keep it on 5.0.1 so we can jailbreak it. I tried to restore to the 5.0.1 ipsw file using tinyumbrella & my backed up SHSH blobs, but apparently that doesn't work anymore. At 3PM today I started the "Erase All Content & Settings" function on the iPad, and here we are at almost 8:30PM and it's still running. I didn't have any apps, music, movies, etc on the iPad when I started the process, so is this normal?

Thanks!

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
im sure i read that a5 devices post IOS5.0 you cant restore old firmwares like you used to.

might just have to bite the bullet and just do an itunes based restore to latest firmware, sounds like they are close to a5.1 jailbreak already so might not take too long.

Reactions: AntCarretero

AntCarretero

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's what the dev team had in their blog (the whole not being able to downgrade on A5 devices bit), so that's why I tried the built-in erase all content and settings option. Once I select that option, the iPad sits on the spinning circle/loading icon on a black screen. My last attempt at this went for 12 hours (no I didn't sit there lol) of hanging on the "loading" screen. With no content on there besides the current jailbreak, this is extremely odd to me. I get that the process could take several hours, but 12?

Petraw14

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As I too intend to upgrade to iPad 3 soon, I find these post interesting and disturbing.
Earlier OS upgrades caused problems by erasing any of the iPad's content purchased, but not backed up. Now it seems the pendulum has swung the other way.
Has anyone successfully erased an iPad in finite time.
The time it took to me upgrade to OS5, and subsequently to Pages Cloud compatible, does not inspire me with confidence that I can erase MY PARTICULAR iPad in a reasonable time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative