The iPad as an E-Reader?

Ammunet91

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone use their iPad for reading ebooks intensively? Does it work well as a reading device? I don't mind about the weight.
When you read a book on your iPad, does your eyes hurt from the screen light after some time (eyestrain, tearing,etc.), as ereaders tend to have non-backlit screens (Kindle, Nook, etc.)

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, for many hours a day. I find no more eye strain than reading regular books. Gave my Kindle away after a couple months and don't miss it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ammunet91

Thegreatone3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I do prefer my Kindle Touch for long (hour+) stretches of reading because it's lighter and easier to read in good lighting. The iPad is no slouch, though. I read the Millennium trilogy on my iPad just fine and I still prefer to read on it in low light or at night. If the iPad 3 goes "retina" on the screen resolution, it'll be that much better too. :)

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I read on my ipad very regularly. It really is a good experience. I do tend to use the kindle app more, because I carry my kindle fire with me to the doctor's office and such because it's smaller, lighter and fits in my purse better. I like that I can lay on my side, prop up my ipad and read in bed with ease.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Reading on my iPad doesn't bother my eyes, but I can never get comfortable with it. I find reading on my Kindle Touch an overall better experience.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Reading on the iPad is very pleasant, but not as pleasant as reading from a dedicated ink e-reader, in 'my' opinion. Also like others have stated, dedicated e-readers are lighter and easier to carry around.

Just Me, D

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer reading on my iPhone 4S with the retina display using iBooks. I do however use my iPad2 as well with iBooks from time to time.

kaser123

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Reading ebooks on iPad is a great experience. This is one of the main purposes that i decided to buy an iPad. Make sure the ebooks are in ePub or PDF format when loads it into iTunes.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, as my Kindle's screen are broken, now Im used to read with my iPad, and I don't find any eye strain.
But I should say the Kindle made me more concentrated on reading than the iPad, as when I read with iPad and find some questions, I would search online immediately, and that sometimes made me so busy.
Maybe I should get myself concentrated on the iPad reading. ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
..(snipped) the Kindle made me more concentrated on reading than the iPad, as when I read with iPad and find some questions, I would search online immediately, and that sometimes made me so busy.
It's good to know I'm not alone. ;).... When I read via my iPad, I end up wanting to do or doing other things, but not with my Nook Simple Touch.

Just Me, D

Last edited:

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I use the ipad as my e-magazine reader, stop buying costly magazines at newstands...tried other tablets for this and nothing beats the iOS for magazine viewing.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my iPad with no problems (using iBooks and Kobo Reader), though I tend to use the same on my iPhone while traveling by, say, public transit as a size and convenience issue.

No problem with eyestrain, though I understand sleep experts suggest you shouldn't be looking at a bright screen just prior to bed. So maybe a real book by the bedside?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the ipad as my e-magazine reader, stop buying costly magazines at newstands...tried other tablets for this and nothing beats the iOS for magazine viewing.

I'd have to agree with you in regard to 'magazines'. The iPad wins hands down, in my opinion, however, for ebooks, ereaders are the clear choices.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my iPad with no problems (using iBooks and Kobo Reader), though I tend to use the same on my iPhone while traveling by, say, public transit as a size and convenience issue.

No problem with eyestrain, though I understand sleep experts suggest you shouldn't be looking at a bright screen just prior to bed. So maybe a real book by the bedside?

As I stated in an earlier post, reading on the iPad is pleasant. Yet, I tend to read much longer via my Nook ereader than on my iPad. The text on an ereader is so book-like and natural, in my opinion. Still, to each his/her own. I guess if you have an iPad, you wouldn't 'need' an ereader but if you plan to use a device strictly for reading books and newspapers then an ereader is the clear choice, in my opinion, of course. ;)

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand the specs for the new iPad show the device to be heavier than the 2 and that may prove to be a downside for some using it as an eReader. Adding weight to a tablet would seem to be generally counter-intuitive (especially when the weight is not the result of, say, more external ports to make the device even more useful), but maybe Apple has a Master Plan. Or not.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand the specs for the new iPad show the device to be heavier than the 2 and that may prove to be a downside for some using it as an eReader. Adding weight to a tablet would seem to be generally counter-intuitive (especially when the weight is not the result of, say, more external ports to make the device even more useful), but maybe Apple has a Master Plan. Or not.

After a while, the weight of the iPad does come into play unless it's propped up via a stand or a smart cover. Yet, for reading, people generally want to be in a comfortable position and that can lead to having to hold the iPad in their hands and then switch back and forth from portrait mode to landscape mode to try to counter the discomfort due to its weight. so yeah, I agree that there's a downside to the new iPad being heavier.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods