The iPad as an E-Reader?

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I read a lot when I had my iPad.

To be honest, I found it a little tough over time. Then again, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to seeing pixels on my display.

My girlfriend, who could care less for such superficial things, had absolutely NO problem with it.

With the new retina iPad, I imagine I can finally read on my new up and coming iPad with ease. :cool:

Petraw14

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I find the iPad 2 an excellent e-reader, and useful for editing my own books. Just save them to .pdf file with the standard American Paperback Page Size of 6 inches by 9 inches, an drag and drop in iTunes.
Unlike a Kindle, the screen is big enough to reproduce the pages with an easily readable Font size, and EXACTLY, with your custom Headers and Footers intact.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Kindle too, it is lighter and easier read outdoors, but I MUST reformat the pages to fit and this makes the subsequent editing more difficult.
As far as weight and glare are concerned I read the iPad in bed with it sitting on an A5 Easel, resting on my tummy, and turn the brightness down from its default 50% to about 30%. I do agree though, without the easel, it is quite heavy.

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I love reading on my Ipad 2. I am dissapointed at not really being able to read it on the beach though without straining my eyes. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in another e-reader. :(

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I love reading on my Ipad 2. I am dissapointed at not really being able to read it on the beach though without straining my eyes. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in another e-reader. :(

You won't regret your decision. My Nook Simple Touch goes where I go just like my iPhone. It's small, very light and I enjoy reading with it... a lot!

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

dino195

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I am a newb to using the iPad as a reader and have a question. I read technical stuff on it all the time and have downloaded some free classics to read and really enjoy reading on it before i go to sleep. I have not been able to find all the books I am looking for in iBooks. Especially some of the newer best sellers.

Where is a good place to find the books I am looking for and can I download them from any site or app and read them in iBooks?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I am a newb to using the iPad as a reader and have a question. I read technical stuff on it all the time and have downloaded some free classics to read and really enjoy reading on it before i go to sleep. I have not been able to find all the books I am looking for in iBooks. Especially some of the newer best sellers.

Where is a good place to find the books I am looking for and can I download them from any site or app and read them in iBooks?

I had a kindle when they first came out so I was in that ecosystem but at least it's offered on different platforms. With ibooks, you're stuck on Apple. That's not a good position to be in as you never know what the future might bring. This is the reason i don't buy itunes video media or ibooks and why i think the movies & tv shows are overpriced.

I do use the ibooks app and prefer it for epubs.

dino195

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
One more question, I have read some comments about people downloading a Kindle app. Does this mean you can download some kind of app for amazon books?

Probably a dumb question I know, I'm just totally new at ebooks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One more question, I have read some comments about people downloading a Kindle app. Does this mean you can download some kind of app for amazon books?

Probably a dumb question I know, I'm just totally new at ebooks.

Yes, there is an app for both the Kindle and Nook that you can use to read e-books on your i-Devices that you've 'already purchased' from the Kindle store or Nook e-Book store.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: dino195

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods