I have had my ipad 2 since early December. I like to turn off devices before charging, so I shut the ipad down and then attach the charging cable. It seems to me that there are no lights to indicate that the device is charging, or to indicate once it is fully charged. Is this correct? Rather than keeping the device shut off while charging, should I keep it on? It gets old thinking it should be fully charged and once I turn on, finding that I am nearly there. Thanks for any assistance!
    01-27-2012 03:24 PM
    i keep my ipad turned on all the time. when i'm not using it i just switch off the wifi (i dont have a 3g version) so once its fully charged i unplug it. as per Apple instructions the battery on the ipad should not be overcharged and/or drained completely (except once a month)
    01-27-2012 04:17 PM
    Sometimes I charge it while it is on and other times I charge it when it is off. I'm a fan of turning it off when I'm not going to be using it for a period of time (overnight). It doesn't hurt it nor does it hurt to leave it on and the same goes for charging. As long as you do not overcharge it, you will be fine either way.

Just Me, D
    01-27-2012 05:26 PM
    I have an iPad 1 and it's probably been shut off less than 10 times ever. It uses almost no battery when in standby so there is no reason to shut it off. I believe standby time is 30 days.

The only times I have turned it off is if the OS starts acting strange and needs a reboot (this has only happened to me a few times).

Turning it off while charging is unnecessary.
    01-27-2012 07:16 PM
    Personally I dont, i find no use in doing it.
    01-27-2012 10:27 PM
    per Apple instructions the battery on the ipad should not be overcharged and/or drained completely (except once a month)
    dalvik,
    Can you point me to this.
    I don't remember reading anything about this.
    I'm new to the whole Apple thing. New iPad 2 and new iPhone 4s
    TIA
    01-28-2012 12:25 AM
    dalvik,
    Can you point me to this.
    I don't remember reading anything about this.
    I'm new to the whole Apple thing. New iPad 2 and new iPhone 4s
    TIA
    Apple - Batteries - iPad
    01-28-2012 12:29 AM
    Tks Garz.
    I'll check it out.
    Good Luck
    01-28-2012 09:48 AM
    No need to turn off whilst charging.
    02-05-2012 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the reminder Garz, and the link. Battery care I knew about, but I've been neglecting it of late I think. I'll re-instate a Charge/discharge cycle immediately.
    04-03-2012 08:33 AM
    No need to turn off whilst charging.
    Yeah, I never do and none of my iDevices have ever had a problem.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.
    04-03-2012 08:35 AM
    Hello, friends,

My question is, Should I shut my iPad off while charging, or keep it on?

Thanks for answering ,

A. N.
    02-19-2015 03:49 PM
    Keep it on. If you shut it and connect the charger, it will boot up anyway.

That is because there are security measures built in the software which are only active when the device is on. If the device is shut down, those measures will be disabled, resulting in a slower charge and risking of overcharging the battery with catastrophic consequences
    kataran likes this.
    02-19-2015 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD