Are there security problems in taking an ipad2 into a public wifi zone. It seems as if the ipad fetches mail all the time that it has to send out your address and password that crooks could pick up? If this is the case is there anyway to disable the function so that the email function only works in a secure zone.

Thank you.
    12-31-2011 03:08 PM
    You could just turn off wifi, or change your email to Fetch Manually if you want to use public wifi
    12-31-2011 04:12 PM
    Not sure if public wifi is "secure" however you are able to adjust your email settings under the settings tab to non push options. Therefore if you like to have push on all the time then just switch "fetch new data" off when you go into public wifi zones

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"
    FendrGuitPlayr likes this.
    12-31-2011 04:14 PM
    Not sure if public wifi is "secure" however you are able to adjust your email settings under the settings tab to non push options. Therefore if you like to have push on all the time then just switch "fetch new data" off when you go into public wifi zones

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"
    Yes, this is what I do and it works very good....so far!
    01-01-2012 05:38 PM
    Are there security problems in taking an ipad2 into a public wifi zone. It seems as if the ipad fetches mail all the time that it has to send out your address and password that crooks could pick up? If this is the case is there anyway to disable the function so that the email function only works in a secure zone.

Thank you.
    You're not the president. Relax. Crooks could care less about what you're having for dinner or how many reward zone points you have.
    Bugeyeblue likes this.
    01-01-2012 05:57 PM
    It seems as if the ipad fetches mail all the time that it has to send out your address and password that crooks could pick up?
    Why are you only paranoid about WiFi?
    01-02-2012 08:16 PM
    enable vpn
    01-02-2012 08:18 PM
    Is there an SSL option for your mail account/service? I believe most modern email services (most Exchange Servers, Gmail, etc.) utilize encryption. Not 100% sure about the Gmail as it exists on the iPhone, but I'm relatively certain it is.
    01-02-2012 10:14 PM
    If you're connected to public WiFi, daya between you and the network is often sent in the clear and can be sniffed by bad actors. Unless you're set up for WEP (weak encryption) or WPA (better encryption), you're in the clear. Avoid doing anything you wouldn't want others to see unless you're using a SSL site or email setup.
    01-03-2012 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD