I am looking to buy an iPAD 2. I saw one, brand new, on Amazon with the part number MC775LL/A and the one on the Apple web site has the part number of MC959LL/A. Are these the same iPADs? I am thinking it has to do to the date of manufacture. Both are black 64 GB,3G WIFI with 3G ATT.
    12-24-2011 02:32 AM
    Not sure but if they both are iPad's 2's same size and both 3 G then they are the same. Likely the different model number is for different distributors or like you said date of manufacturing.

I know best buy and future shop will often have different model numbers on the exact same items, making it hard to price match when you find a better deal at one or the other store.....not that I think that has anything to do with this, just gives you an idea that model numbers are not necessarily picked by the manufacturer but the store that is distributing them.
    12-24-2011 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the info. The descriptions and prices are the same. But I think I'll go with the Apple Store 1. Again thanks.
    12-24-2011 11:39 AM
    I think it's always better to go with Apple if the price is the same! And you're welcome
    12-24-2011 10:08 PM
    Although you could save a couple of bucks elsewhere, I would go to an Apple store. I guess if your device is faulty, you can get better service at Apple...
    If the difference in price is $100 or more, be aware they don't sell you a refurb unit.
    12-25-2011 09:22 AM
    Although you could save a couple of bucks elsewhere, I would go to an Apple store. I guess if your device is faulty, you can get better service at Apple...
    If the difference in price is $100 or more, be aware they don't sell you a refurb unit.
    You are right about if I have a problem with the device plus I know that I am getting the real thing at an Apple store.
    12-25-2011 03:42 PM
    Also look into Education pricing if you qualify, (either you are a teahcer,student or are buying for a student) that will save you a bit of cash, and ordered through their website you will get in within a few days of ordering!
    12-25-2011 07:16 PM
    Over the last couple of days I think I have figured what the difference is. Both iPAD 2s, MC775LL/A and MC959LL/A, are essentially the same. The only difference is that the MC775LL/A is sold by dealers outside of Apple, Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon. The iPAD2 with the PN MC959LL/A is sold by Apple directly.

On Amazon I did a search for the MC959LL/A and it took me to the Apple online store.

Again thanks for all the comments.
    12-26-2011 10:01 AM
    Nice job figuring that one out. I also prefer to go to the Apple store, if for no other reason than to enjoy the ambience of such a great place!
    12-28-2011 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD