ATT or Verizon

rallen65

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought and IPad2 32 GB 3G & Wifi. It came with a AT&T micro sim. Am I able to switch to verizon using the same IPad and a different chip or do I need to use a MYFI from verizon?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought and IPad2 32 GB 3G & Wifi. It came with a AT&T micro sim. Am I able to switch to verizon using the same IPad and a different chip or do I need to use a MYFI from verizon?

You would have to get a mifi if you wanted to switch to Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I thought all the iPads were sold unlocked? And I know VZW uses the micro sim for data, cause that's what's in my VZW MiFi.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought all the iPads were sold unlocked? And I know VZW uses the micro sim for data, cause that's what's in my VZW MiFi.

Verizon only uses SIMS for LTE... iPad2 is not LTE... and if the AT&T iPad2 even has CDMA hardware in it, I'm pretty sure it's locked on a device sold by AT&T. The original poster would need to use a Mifi... and those are LTE/4G capable where available.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There are no hybrid GSM/CDMA iPads. MiFi is the only option for switching to Verizon (short of getting a Verizon iPad).

As always, check the manufacturer's site for specs if in doubt:
Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

Note how the GSM and CDMA models are listed separately "WiFi +3G model" & "WiFi +3G model for Verizon". Look at the network tech and frequencies supported. There's no device that supports both carriers.

Verizon only uses SIMS for LTE...
...and hybrid CDMA/GSM ("world") devices.

and if the AT&T iPad2 even has CDMA hardware in it, I'm pretty sure it's locked on a device sold by AT&T.
Not needed. Verizon and Sprint won't activate such devices on their networks (why the unlocked iPhone 4s can't be used on CDMA carriers even though it has the necessary hardware).

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Basically nope nope nope you will have to use wifi and a mobile hotspot. ( mifi) or get AT&T service for your iPad if u don't want to carry a mifi

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk