Here's my question: I am a college student, and I am planning on getting my mom an iPad 2 for Christmas this year. I have been planning all along to get a new 16GB one for $499, but I remembered yesterday about refurbished. My two major questions:

1.) If I purchase a refurbished one, will there be any noticeable differences in performance? I know that Apple's website says that all refurbished items are basically completely rebuilt, but I want to hear from people who have experience with refurbished products.

2.) Will there be any physical differences between a refurbished and a new iPad 2? Again, I want to hear from people with experience with refurbished devices.

Thanks y'all!
    11-26-2011 08:38 AM
    Not only will there be no difference between new and refurb, depending on where you buy it, you can probably still get a SquareTrade warranty on a refurb.
    11-26-2011 09:20 AM
    I was actually planning on getting it at Best Buy because my school's bookstore sells Best Buy gift cards (among others), and I had some extra scholarship money, so I was going to go that route. What do you mean by SquareTrade warranty?
    11-26-2011 12:30 PM
    For the money the refurb is the way to go. Just as good as a new just cheaper. And most have almost the same warranty. To me $50. dollars saved is a good deal.
    11-26-2011 12:33 PM
    I just bought a refurbished iPad 2 a couple weeks ago. Looks brand new to me and works perfectly!
    11-27-2011 04:14 PM
    I've gotten refurbished items from the apple store and I could not tell that they weren't brand spanking new! That is how I'd buy mine if I did not have one in the household already. I've had a macbook that was gifted to me by my uncle that was refurbished and it's been four years later and it is still working great!
    11-27-2011 04:41 PM
    I was actually planning on getting it at Best Buy because my school's bookstore sells Best Buy gift cards (among others), and I had some extra scholarship money, so I was going to go that route. What do you mean by SquareTrade warranty?
    SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative - my favorite form of warranty for all my gadgets and appliances. They usually beat store warranties.
    11-27-2011 05:35 PM
    I bought an iMac thru apple refurbished. Looks brand new and comes with same warrantee from apple as if it were new. Friend bought the first iPad refurbished and saved a ton. Whenever I'm looking to upgrade I check the apple outlet first.
    11-27-2011 06:03 PM
    refurbished isn't bad at all. They fixed what was wrong with it and cleaned it up. basically brand new I've never had a problem with refurbished items
    11-28-2011 01:08 PM
    SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative - my favorite form of warranty for all my gadgets and appliances. They usually beat store warranties.
    The don't offer Apple Care+ on the iPad? Since that warranty is by Apple and covers physica/waterl damage, that is the way to go.
    11-28-2011 01:12 PM
    I bought my refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple four years ago and it still runs strong. The only issue I had was the graphics card went out. I found a recall for the graphics card/logic board and made an appointment with the genius bar. They fixed it free of charge plus it was out of warranty and apple care. I'm sold with their refurbished products. Plus it looked like brand new.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    11-28-2011 01:59 PM
    The don't offer Apple Care+ on the iPad? Since that warranty is by Apple and covers physica/waterl damage, that is the way to go.
    It's only the way to go if you live near an Apple store. Since I'd have to send my iPad in, I may as well get the same coverage for less - and send it to Square Trade if there's a problem.
    11-28-2011 07:14 PM
    Not sure if you were strictly looking at Apple store refurbished iPad 2s but there is a deal blast on eBay right now by a big seller.

$399 for a Manufacturer refurbished Apple iPad 32GB WiFi 9.7" Black iOS Tablet PC + Otterbox Defender Case Bundle @ Apple iPad 32GB WiFi 9.7" Black iOS Tablet PC + Otterbox Defender Case Bundle (0668888076304) | eBay
    11-28-2011 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD