Which iPad2 should I get the Wife?

bjs188

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello there TiPb folks. I feel a little bit like I am behind enemy lines. I'm an Android User and former webOS fanboy, not wanting to start a fight, but my wife loves her iPhone 3GS, (gonna upgrade to 4S) and really wants an iPad. I'm here for some help.

So question for you all, which one should I get her? She wants a 3G one, not sure how that works (contract wise, not the magical streaming of data via the Gees). Is it month to month? Contract with subsidy if purchased thru carrier? Difference between Big Red and Big Blue? We live in suburban Philly so coverage is not an issue.

Then the size question. I was thinking 32 GB, especially with cloud storage etc, doubt I need the 64. Would I regret being cheap and just getting the 16?

Also she will likely throw it in her purse, not super careful. Official smart cover seems like it probably isn't enough. Any good portfolio type cases that still use smart magnet thingyajig and preferably fold for typing too.

Do you NEED a screen protector? She never scratched her phone, but you never know.

thanks in advance, I appreciate any suggestions

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
She wants a 3G one, not sure how that works (contract wise, not the magical streaming of data via the Gees). Is it month to month? Contract with subsidy if purchased thru carrier? Difference between Big Red and Big Blue? We live in suburban Philly so coverage is not an issue.

If you can afford the $100 difference get the 3G iPad. you do not need to sign a contract for usage. It is a month to month deal and you are better to have it if you need it than not have and it regret your purchase.

VzW or AT&T?? Get which ever one you like more. If coverage is not an issue I would say go with AT&T since she already has a plan with them. Easier for billing etc.

Then the size question. I was thinking 32 GB, especially with cloud storage etc, doubt I need the 64. Would I regret being cheap and just getting the 16?

Again this is a cost thing. I am using 16gb iPads and iPhones, but I stream pretty much all my media so the only things I have on my devices is photos and apps. If you can afford the 32gb model that should be plenty enough storage for the average user.

Also she will likely throw it in her purse, not super careful. Official smart cover seems like it probably isn't enough. Any good portfolio type cases that still use smart magnet thingyajig and preferably fold for typing too.

There are a ton of good cases out there for the iPad. I use the smart cover with a skin protecting the back, but I am the kind of person that babies their devices. If you are concerned about the iPad look into the OtterBox Defender line of cases. They are solid.

Do you NEED a screen protector? She never scratched her phone, but you never know.

NEED?? No. I don't use screen shields on my iPad. I do use them on my phones, but those are more likely to rub up against something in my pocket. If you are looking for a good quality screen shield take a look at the SGP line.

Welcome to TiPb and ask more questions if you have em.

Reactions: bjs188

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello there TiPb folks. I feel a little bit like I am behind enemy lines. I'm an Android User and former webOS fanboy, not wanting to start a fight, but my wife loves her iPhone 3GS, (gonna upgrade to 4S) and really wants an iPad. I'm here for some help.

So question for you all, which one should I get her? She wants a 3G one, not sure how that works (contract wise, not the magical streaming of data via the Gees). Is it month to month? Contract with subsidy if purchased thru carrier? Difference between Big Red and Big Blue? We live in suburban Philly so coverage is not an issue.

It reallydepends on how she will use it. If this is to be used at home then WiFi would be fine. If this is something she is going to use on the road then the 3G would be needed.

I can't speak to how blue or red work down in your area. Others here would ne better at that.

Size wise bigger OS always better. That being said, cost does become an issue. Also how big is the library you have on itunes. Try to get at least if not more space that you are using now.

As for the others that's more a preference choice.

She is going to be stoked either way.:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I got the 3G for many reasons... but I also have it as a backup just in case the power were to go out, I'd still have the iPad. Fortunately my lights didn't go out in the snow storm we had a couple of weeks ago, but I realize it could have easily been my house as the next house over didn't have power.

The other reason is because my Overdrive (sprint) or wifi connection isn't always available. So with my 3G on AT&T, I always have an internet connection. I choose the lowest package because more often than not, I'm on wifi.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
You can go month to month with AT&T. Drop it and pick it back up whenever you want, no contract. I have mine on a separate contract than my cell phone. I rarely use it, but if I am somewhere with no wifi, then it's essential. I would just get the smaller package, though.

I have a screen protector on mine so I _can_ just throw it in my purse. And a Speck Pixelskin case.

I would get at least the 32GB. She is going to LOVE it!!

Maybe get an iTunes gift card to go with it. Don't places have them on sale sometimes??

And the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is a nice accessory; works with the iPhone too.

johnb55

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my wife the white 3G 16GB...She doesn't need much storage but she travels, the white in my opinion is perfect for a female.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I got the 3G for many reasons... but I also have it as a backup just in case the power were to go out, I'd still have the iPad. Fortunately my lights didn't go out in the snow storm we had a couple of weeks ago, but I realize it could have easily been my house as the next house over didn't have power.

The other reason is because my Overdrive (sprint) or wifi connection isn't always available. So with my 3G on AT&T, I always have an internet connection. I choose the lowest package because more often than not, I'm on wifi.
Was in a rush to go somewhere and forgot to put the size I went with. I chose the 64GB because it was the highest available and not because I need it or will use it. 32GB unless you'll be using photo stream to save the 1080p and high res pics you take on the 4S to it.

bjs188

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
so next question... Where shall I get said uber-tablet, 32gb 3g white ipad2? Carrier store, apple store, best buy?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Any of the above stores will work for you. You are not going to get it cheaper at any of the stores, but you might find some discount coupons etc. Like buy an iPad and get a $50 iTunes gift card. Best Buy has those sometimes.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I also think the white iPad is more beautiful, as a girl ;) Just like bride most like wearing a beautiful white wedding gown.

flytech

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

It all depends how she will use it and also it's all the cost thing. I'm using one with 32 GB. For iPhone 16 GB is enoughI guess.I use it everyday for my work and I haven't experienced any problem about the size. If you can afford choose the 3G one. No screen protector in my opinion. Just go with a nice and useful case. I use a a leather case which is a nice looking and practical in use. Bought it online from mapicases.com . Kolossa leather case for iPad.

Toni1

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've got just wifi and 16Gb. So far not missing anything - if I need 3G I can always tether off my smartphone. I'm happy not to have another contract with a mobile operator.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got just wifi and 16Gb. So far not missing anything - if I need 3G I can always tether off my smartphone. I'm happy not to have another contract with a mobile operator.

I have the same setup. Couldn't afford the 3G one so I settled for the 16gb wifi and it works out great for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I just bought the 16GB WiFi version for my wife as a Christmas gift.
Bought the 16GB because we save everything to the cloud. (BTW: picked it up for about $460 on Black Friday from the Apple website.

Gmail, Picasa web albums, Google Docs.

However, I did sync some a few of her favorite photo albums to the iPad from My Pictures on her Windows XP laptop.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro