Heya...

So I have a 16gb iPad2, and the problem is that I'm starting to realize I shouldve gotten at least a 32 gb, since my music alone takes up 5-8 gb.

(But with the ipad3 coming next year, there's no way Im upgrading right now...)

So I've been thinking if I could maybe put the movies and music I CAN'T fit on the iPad on a portable harddisk or USB drive of some sort, so I could bring it all along when I go on a trip, and then upload it to the iPad as needed. (I also have a 7 inch Android tablet and high end Android phones, so is there any way I could use these as a harddrive?)

Is this possible in any way without jailbreaking it? Like for example through an app and WLAN or the camera connector?

Thanks alot!
    11-08-2011 10:11 AM
    I have the 32gb, and I watch what I dl for apps because some of them are large, and I still see it creeping up to the limit at times.

But, I just saw an ad for a portable wireless 500gb hard drive that I'm gonna go pick up at office.... It's a little spendy, but you can connect all wireless devices to it, and basically take your whole lot of movies, pics and songs with you, and share them if you want!! That may be an idea for you!
    11-08-2011 12:34 PM
    One word: Spotify.

Who needs the whole collection anymore?!
    11-08-2011 12:48 PM
    Spotify isn't available where I live. And even if it was, there are plenty of situations where I don't have internet access but, might want to listen to some music.

And the music is really the smallest problem, there's also plenty of video files I might want to watch, and apps/games as tonos mentioned. (I have a game that's almost ONE GB. And that's just one of many I like, lol)

Ah wireless hard drive sounds like a solution. Could you post a link? And how do you power it?

It'd be perfect if I could hook a small portable HD or memory stick up to it, but could I do that through the camera adapter? Or could I use a 32gb SD card connected to the camera adapter?
    11-08-2011 02:21 PM
    Sign up for a Dropbox account and get the Dropbox app. Then you can keep videos or whatever on Dropbox when you're not using them.
    11-08-2011 05:32 PM
    A good rule of thumb is that there's no such thing as too much storage capacity.
    11-09-2011 12:56 AM
    I have a iPad one and have the same issue but I didn't know any better at the time and thought it would be fine .. Found out fast that movies ... Games and apps fill it up fast so when I upgrade to iPad 3 I'll def get a 64 or higher if they make it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-09-2011 02:38 AM
    So... Any suggestions that DOESNT involve cloud solutions for the obvious reasons?
    11-09-2011 04:14 AM
    So... Any suggestions that DOESNT involve cloud solutions for the obvious reasons?
    Since you can't add storage to the iPad that you already have and don't seem to like the suggestions that were already mentioned, I would say sell your iPad and put the money towards a 32GB or 64GB iPad.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-09-2011 05:17 AM
    Well, getting a larger iPad would be kind of a waste of money, with the iPad 3 probably coming. Ext spring...

BUT I did figure out another solution.... Apparently the camera connector can be used for extended storage, and the iPad doesn't even need to have a jailbreak. (all though it helps... With a jail broken iPad you can use the USB connector to connect to a hard drive)

You just put in a regular SD card, and can use that to store movies or even music. I figure I'll start out with a 16gb card, and can always get another if I run out of space. Hehe, with two 32gb card that would top even the 64gb ipad2, and all for thirty bucks or so pr. card!
    11-10-2011 07:35 AM
    I'm having the same problem I have the 16 gig and I'm thinking of getting the 32!
    11-11-2011 12:51 AM
    This is why I went balls deep in my pockets and forked out the cash for a 64.... Not even a debate which one to get lol
    11-11-2011 08:30 AM
    This is the item I was talking about:

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Satellite External Wireless/USB 3.0 Hard Drive, 500GB
    I'd check around and see if there are others.

Hope it helps!
    11-12-2011 05:20 PM
    Spotify isn't available where I live. And even if it was, there are plenty of situations where I don't have internet access but, might want to listen to some music.

And the music is really the smallest problem, there's also plenty of video files I might want to watch, and apps/games as tonos mentioned. (I have a game that's almost ONE GB. And that's just one of many I like, lol)

Ah wireless hard drive sounds like a solution. Could you post a link? And how do you power it?

It'd be perfect if I could hook a small portable HD or memory stick up to it, but could I do that through the camera adapter? Or could I use a 32gb SD card connected to the camera adapter?
    Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Satellite External Wireless/USB 3.0 Hard Drive, 500GB, I found it on line. There might be other brands. Hope this helps.
    11-12-2011 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD