Advantages of iOS 5 on the iPad?

Keymaster654

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I'm new to Apple........last Apple I had was an Apple IIsi. I'm planning on getting an iPad 2 (and ditching my BB Tour eventually for an iPhone 4S) and I was wondering what (if anything) does iOS 5 bring to the iPad 2 that it couldn't do before? Sorry if this has been hashed and rehashed I just couldn't really find any clear cut explanation for the iPad specifically.

Thanks in Advance.

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Never newb questions.

Well, the differences as I know them are-

iPad First ------ iPad2 Second

CPU - 1GHz Apple A4 vs 1GHz dual-core Apple A5
GPU - PowerVR SGX435 vs 543MP2
Rear Camera - None vs Yes
Front Camera - None vs Yes
Gyroscope - None vs Yes
Thickness - 13mm vs 9mm
Weight Heavier vs Lighter

Hope that helps a bit.
:)

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
i think the question was in regards to iOS 5 not iPad vs ipad2. i haven't read everything on iOS 5 and haven't gotten to use it iCloud is one main differance twitter integration is another i think but they say iOS 5 has over 200 improvments

Keymaster654

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I got that the iPad 2 is better than one......but its the "fiddley bits" like that as far as I can tell there is no Siri for the iPad2.....is there other differences? Is there any interface changes or the iPad or is it the outlying stuff and internal changes. Like I also haven't seen any thing on battery life other than "it should be better". Trust me when I'm saying that I am getting an iPad 2 and shortlyt thereafter hopefully an iPhone 4S....I'm just curious about some small things as it pertains to the iPad 2

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Basically, just go to the iOS 5 website and read up on it! There are over 200 features being added top few are Newsstand, Notification Center, and reminders.

AirPlay is supposed to be getting an overhaul as well, allowing you to mirror your iPad's screen through your apple tv, and that's one thing I am looking forward to when playing games on my iPad with friends!

Keymaster654

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Which iOS 5 site? I tried the Apple one but frankly it doesn't say much beyond generalities. And being a newb I wouldn't even be able to say what's new or old or good or bad. I'm taking the stance that most things are good right now. But is that valid?

wHoKares

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Basically iOS5 brings the same innovations it does on the iPhone 4. Some key iPad2 only features would be being able to separate the keyboard for easier typing and tabbed browsing. Finally changing the new page button to tabs like a computer browser. Other than that practically all the changes are included on the iphone 4 for a complete list you can visit : Apple - iPhone 4S - Read all about the amazing iOS.

Reactions: AlexW52

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget multi-touch gestures. My absolute favorite feature is that I barely have to use the home button, if ever. Five finger pinch to close out an app gracefully, four finger swipe to switch between apps, and many other great iOS 5 features. iCloud is great for reminders and pushing everything to all your devices.

I couldn't be more happy with iOS 5, each device has its own great features. As mentioned, split keyboard is killer when you're on the run and you can't set up your smart cover to type with home keys.

Last edited:

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the feature that I am most looking forward to is the ability to have the split keyboard in portrait. I think it will be a wonderful way to type efficiently

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There are a ton of features, but if you want an iPad, you should get an iPad. Different features work better for different people, so find what's best for you, as they say.

Keymaster654

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all very much......are they going to have a manual for all the gestures and such for iOS5? I really do appreciate all your responses, looks like I'll be getting two iPads and then the iPhone 4S when I upgrade! Thanks again to all.

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Tabbed Browsing, Multi Touch Gestures, Split Keyboard & Air Play are the main iPad features of iOS 5 then you have the universal features such as Notification Centre and Reminders and iCloud etc.

smmullen

Aug 31, 2011
www.endgamepr.com
The change I'm looking forward to most is the swipe down notification area. If I understand it correctly, you'll be able to see your last few emails and calendar items, plus get the weather .. all in one place and without having to launch an app. It's something that iOS has been missing. IF that was the only change, I'd pretty happy.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I'm new to Apple........last Apple I had was an Apple IIsi. I'm planning on getting an iPad 2 (and ditching my BB Tour eventually for an iPhone 4S) and I was wondering what (if anything) does iOS 5 bring to the iPad 2 that it couldn't do before? Sorry if this has been hashed and rehashed I just couldn't really find any clear cut explanation for the iPad specifically.

Thanks in Advance.

To give you a list of the main things, not only iPad specific thing, is:
notification center
Wireless syncing
Newsstand
Twitter integration
Gestures like 5 finger close or app switching
Assistive touch( hard to describe, check it out on YouTube)
Tabbed browsing
Apple tv mirroring specifically for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s
Pcfree
Photo album creation on the device
New calendar creation
Uninterrupting notifications
Camera shortcuts on the lock screen
Photo editing in the app
Photo snap with volume up
Split thumb keyboard for iPad
And so many other things I just can't think of at the moment, but definitely upgrade because it's going to bring so many things. Like the people above said over 200 new features.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee
Free time apple enthusiast

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
And also I think Siri will be brought to the iPad 2. It runs the exact same hardware the iPhone 4s does so there's no limitations. They'll probably bring a software update for it on the 2 after Siri has come out from it's beta test phase. After Christmas.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee
Free time apple enthusiast

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro