What age should you own?

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
At what age do you all think the ipad is suitable for?

I recently bought one and let my 12 year old nephew use it over the weekend. First thing he wanted to do was download games. He now wants one badly which got me thinking as he'll just see it as a toy or another gaming platform, which is a shame as it's so much more. Especially as he has a dedicated games console!

I dont see it as a toy but more as a semi-serious productive device.

So what are your thoughts, is it fine to look at the ipad as an expensive hand held? (No, there's no way I'm buying him one!!!)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Well that comes with the age, at his age he wont know the difference and will only see it as a gaming platform.

That being said i guess it depends on each situation and whether you can justify it. It is quite an expensive 'toy' for a 12 year old haha, but i would be happy if i was him hehe.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's expensive as a toy... my grandkids are aged newborn to age 9... the ones between the ages of about 5 and 9 use my iPad every time they visit... It would be tough to justify one for each of the 13 grandkids, but I can see them each using it for various games, video streaming, etc. Not out of the question, by any stretch.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
At what age do you all think the ipad is suitable for?

I recently bought one and let my 12 year old nephew use it over the weekend. First thing he wanted to do was download games. He now wants one badly which got me thinking as he'll just see it as a toy or another gaming platform, which is a shame as it's so much more. Especially as he has a dedicated games console!

I dont see it as a toy but more as a semi-serious productive device.

So what are your thoughts, is it fine to look at the ipad as an expensive hand held? (No, there's no way I'm buying him one!!!)

My 4 year old uses mine all the time I ended up getting her a 3GS and used it as a iPod for games and Netflix etc but they will see it for games but there are alot of educational games def worth letting them play

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
All good comments. His father (my brother) will no doubt ask me about it and if he should think of the idea of getting him one for xmas (my brother isn't into things like ipads and so on....... thinks an ipad is something you get from the doctors!!). anyway my gut instinct would be to say no. He has a latop as well as the games console.

I didn't think that a 12 year old should really have something like ipad, but after reading some of your own experiences with family members, I'm not so su now.

After all, it is rather delicate in comparison to most other portable/mobile devices. With his track record it would be in drawer gathering dust after a couple of months.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's all about the apps... don't just get games - get games that have "redeeming educational value" - things that involve problem solving, role playing, etc. while teaching things at the same time - those apps do exist. And then there's the coming thing with educational books - it won't be long, and there will be no such thing as a hard-copy text book - everything will be on some kind of electronic pad.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it is up to the parent and depends on the maturity of the kid. Some kids are more responsible at 12 than others.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.