I was reading an ebook outside today on my iPad. I don't have any issues reading the screen in sunlight, with or without sunglasses, but noticed the iPad getting really hot. I took it out of it's case, thinking maybe that was adding to the problem. Let it cool down then Googled the issue. Read about the dismissed lawsuit, etc. so I know others have had this issue. Brought it back outside to read again (it was completely cool at this point) and after reading a short time got the black screen temp warning. I still love my iPad but am disappointed that I won't be reading nearly as much outside this summer as I'd anticipated. Has anyone found a workaround (besides sitting in the shade) for this? Is this a universal problem or does it seem to be something that affects some iPads and not others? Thanks for any insight.
    05-30-2011 08:52 PM
    Locking the screen or turning it completely off would be a good idea, but that sounds like a problem
    05-31-2011 12:53 PM
    [QUOTE=pizzafootbal;1725385]Locking the screen or turning it completely off would be a good idea, but that sounds like a problem[/QUOTE}]

Hard to read if it's completely off...I'm surprised not to see any more responses to this post as the overheating does seem to be a known issue. I bought a Kindle today for reading outside. Disappointing "solution" but I'm not going to get much outdoor reading done on a device that overheats to the point of shut-down in the warm weather.
    06-01-2011 08:19 PM
    I've had my iPad 2 here in Afghanistan for a couple months now, and I keep it conveniently placed in my cargo pocket. It's consistently getting up to 105-110 every day now, and even while working outside as I do, I have yet to see any warning messages regarding temperature. I would visit the nearest Apple store and express your concerns. Maybe they will even swap it out for you?
    06-07-2011 01:34 PM
    Heat is normal since it doesn't have fans and the case is the dissipative system. Of course there is a temperature limit that trigger a system error with a pretty bad advice on screen. My iPad2 is always pretty cool also while I'm playing games. Now in Italy we have 20-25C. Maybe is better if you go to a genius bar if it happens frequently.
    Bye
    06-12-2011 03:03 PM
    The last time i got a heating problem was on my iPad 1 when it was in my car and had direct sunlight and it had that "iPad is warm, needs to cool down" crap.
    Anyways,
    I use my iPad 2 for more than 2 hours in school, in the sun it gets a little warm like my iPhone 4 but never gave me a problem...
    08-23-2011 02:09 PM
    Yes they can definitely heat up, but that's after having them outside for hours in around 90-100 degree weather. You shouldn't have that much of an issue. I'd visit your apple genius bar and check that out.
    08-23-2011 11:37 PM
    i am from india and never had any issue even after using it for hours, get it checked

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
    08-31-2011 04:53 AM
    I know it's a completely different product but my Macbook Pro heats up like mad whenever I use it, even if it's just a simple browse and surfing. Maybe it's an Apple thing since your iPad does the same thing.
    08-31-2011 11:15 AM
    +1 Take it to the Apple store and let them look at it, I live in Arizona and am able to sit out by the pool and read a book without issues and it is much hotter here than Chi town ...
    08-31-2011 01:11 PM
    I'm currently living/working in Poland but I am from Portugal which is a very warm country and never had any problems with reading by the pool with either the iPad or iPhone, yes it gets warm but nothing that special, if I was you I would take it as others suggested to an Apple Store.
    08-31-2011 01:38 PM
    I'm currently living/working in Poland but I am from Portugal which is a very warm country and never had any problems with reading by the pool with either the iPad or iPhone, yes it gets warm but nothing that special, if I was you I would take it as others suggested to an Apple Store.
    It is forecasted to be 42C here tomorrow, you could say it's warm here :-)
    08-31-2011 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD