I'm aware that the "not charging" issue is because the USB port on the side of my monitor can't provide enough power to charge the batteries of the iPad2, however if I plug it in and say, play music and what not, will it still be using the battery?

Is plugging it in doing absolutely nothing for the device, therefor I'm better off just leaving it unplugged? Or is there a trickle charge slowing down the battery usage, or is it provided enough power to maintain (but not increase or decrease) the current battery level?
    05-20-2011 10:30 AM
    You are getting a minimal charge from the USB port. If your screen is off you will see a slight increase in battery time, but not if you are using the iPad.

If you want to use the iPad and keep it topped off you should just plug it in to the wall wart.
    05-20-2011 10:35 AM
    So basically, plugging it in to the USB port is charging it, just at a substantially slower rate than a wall charger?

If the screen is off on the iPad, and I've got music playing, is it still draining battery faster than the USB can provide?
    05-20-2011 10:48 AM
    I would have to say yes. But I can not tell you for sure.

I have tested mine and with the screen off and plugged in to a standard usb port it gets slightly charged.
    05-20-2011 11:19 AM
    USB is limited to 500mA. The more current, the faster the charge.
    05-20-2011 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD