Are there any developers out there that would like to support their apps but cannot find the time? How often do your apps fail on any ios device? I have had a problem finding developers who have the time to support the end users once they start having problems? Anyone else run into these types of problems?
    05-18-2011 01:34 AM
    Are you talking about contract developers or devs shipping their own apps?
    05-20-2011 12:19 AM
    Well I would say firstly devs shipping their own apps, I'm sure there aren't enough resources to provide the type/quality of support that they may want to. I'm not to familiar with what a "Contract developer" is, can you elaborate?
    05-20-2011 08:32 AM
    I thought maybe you meant you were hiring developers to build apps for you and they were not willing to support them. That is what I mean by 'Contract developer'.

I've been a developer for a very long time now and yes it is true that mobile apps have their own set of challenges. The low per unit price does make it harder. Also many mobile Devs are doing it part time and have other responsibilities. But there is never an excuse for not providing quality support. Support is part of the product. Devs need to understand that going into it. They also need to understand that the best way to keep from getting bogged down in support is to build a quality product in the first place. And if there are bugs, the faster you fix them the sooner you get relief.

As a user I have downloaded / bought my fair share of crappy apps. Just today I had to un-install and re-install and app because it got caught in a state where it would crash every time it started. Frustrating yes, but I don't really judge the developer until I've at least taken the time to provide him feedback and then see how he responds.

One of the most frustration things as a mobile developer is a user leaving you a 1 star review about how your product doesn't work without ever contacting you so you can help. Without direct customer feedback devs usually don't even know there is a problem, let alone how to fix it. This is one of the challenges of being separated from the customer by the app store.
    05-22-2011 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD