free ripping/converting program?

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried to use my paid for Roxio software to convert some of my own DVDs to Ipad format, but no luck. It shows them as locked or protected, which is limp IMO. My old software program never did that. I'm done with Roxio, so where can I get some freeware and what format should I use for optimal viewing in the iPad? Thanks in advance.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Handbrake

Yeah, I love handbrake, you might want to just search some of the fields you don't understand on google to get better video

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I use Handbrake 64-bit along with VLC 64-bit to rip DVDs to MP4s that play on all the Apple devices I have (Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook).

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I use Handbrake 64-bit along with VLC 64-bit to rip DVDs to MP4s that play on all the Apple devices I have (Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook).

OK, I tried Handbrake for PC. I chose iPad from the presets in the new version. WRONG! It took 7 hours to convert a Harry Potter 2.5hr DVD and the file was 8.6GB. That ain't working for me lol. I don't know what preset to choose for the ipad, I want something about 1GB or so per DVD. The presets don't really clue you in as to the resolution and file size. Does anyone have some helpful recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Travelin'Rich

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I needed a ripper/converter for blu-ray discs since I replaced most of my DVDs with blu-rays. I've been using a program called Blu-Ray Video Converter from PavTube. They have a free version you can download which works perfectly but puts a small watermark in the center of the video. The paid version eliminates the watermark. The free version also limits you to 3 full-disc copies. You get unlimited file copies which is probably what you'll want anyway as a full copy will take many hours and create a full DVD/blu-ray size folder. The single file ripper will let you rip just the main movie and eliminate the extras and will result in about a 1M mp4 file.

It's a very easy program to use once you figure out how to select the right file from the DVD/blu-ray. It has a preview window which helps tremendously for that. It has several iPad/iPhone/etc. conversion options depending on how high a quality you want. So far it's converted perfectly everything I've thrown at it. Every night I convert and load my latest TiVo files to my iPad to watch during my lunch break.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion. I found Any DVD (I think that's the name) and it also has a limited and Pro paid version. Handbrake is free, but I'm not clear on how to use it to make quick and reasonably small yet quality rips for my iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2