NEED ADVICE: Ipad1 vs Ipad2

natedawg607

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning,

Newbie here, so hi all! We are slowly becoming an Apple House- Have macbook, airport extreme, 2 verizon iphones.

I had a bunch of best buy cards from trading in our old phones. So we looked at an ipad- (Ipad2 is so hard to find, but the store tells me they keep getting them in, maybe 5 to 10 per week, but the store employees never know when they get them).

We have 2 kids, and are wanted the ipad for an upcoming coast to coast trip, we also use it for surfing on the couch, and I would take it when I travel sometimes.

I purchased the ipad1- 32gb with wifi/3g for $480 with tax (b/c of our Bestbuy credits).

I have that 14 day return period, and was thinking of still hunting for the ipad2 16gb wifi/3g for another $50 ($530 total)- trying to keep the costs close.

Is it worth it to decrease memory inorder to increase the speed (& reduce size/weight) with the ipad2 for +$50?

Opinions?

Thanks for your help!
Nate

Last edited:

Sirius-XM

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's impossible to say if you will need the extra 16 GB without knowing what you use the Ipad for. Movies? Music? Both will suck up available space.

I would recommend spending the extra $109 and getting the 32 GB Ipad 2. For $100, it's not worth getting the previous model.

natedawg607

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
To get the ipad2 32gb wifi/3g, it would be an additional $165 here, that is why I'm considering the ipad2 16gb wifi/3g for only $50 (if they even have it).

It will take time stalking bestbuy haha.

Primary use will be the net/streaming netflix, reading news. And loading up movies through itunes or converting some home dvds for car/plane travel 4- 5 at a time.

Does anyone know the average files size for a 2 hour itunes movie? or file size converting a dvd to a playable format?

Thanks,

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
From what you are describing it seems you should stick with what you have. For me iPad 1 is fine. Plenty fast and does what it needs to do. Do you plan on using the camera feature? Also I wouldn't go with less memory. Programs movies and magazines take up a lot of room. I debated 16 or 32 and I'm glad I went with 32

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it worth it to decrease memory inorder to increase the speed (& reduce size/weight) with the ipad2 for +$50?
Worth is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. It's no different with the iPads. The answer you get depends on the person you ask. If you're like me, it's a no brainer to get the newest, fastest and highest spec option so you're never wondering if you should have opted for the bigger, faster version ad hopefully staving off upgraditis for at least a little longer.

However, if you're not like me you might not agree with that. That's subjectivity for you. You have to determine where your specific preferences lie no matter how many opinions you receive via this thread.

kingdavidfive

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same bout you never had the iPad 1 and didn't know what to do I googled everything to see if the iPad 2 was worth and I must say it is can't go wrong with the newer versions of anything go for the iPad 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro