Hey guys, you've all been helpful so I have a couple more questions to throw your way...

Will garageband on ipad2 support MIDI instruments? As in, can I plug a MIDI keyboard in and have a piano roll style configuration in garageband, with any of the instruments?

I was also wondering; can you plug in an external microphone to record say, drums, and then add guitar and whatnot on top of it via garageband instruments?

Another similar question... can you import an audio file that has already been recorded, say I have an audio file of JUST the guitar playing - can I import that into garageband and lay down the rest of the instruments over it/around it?

I searched around a bit and it seems like MIDI instruments worked on iPad1 with the use of the camera connection kit (USB) but I want to make sure they work with iPad2 as well... and I'm hoping they will work in the same way I'm describing.

Thanks
    03-22-2011 06:52 PM
    I wondered the same thing. I have an M-Audio midi controller keyboard and tried to hook it up thru the usb camera kit and it wouldnt recognize it. I also have a usb micro phone that Garage Band didnt recognize. Im wondering if it only is recognizable on iPad1 and not iPad2.
    03-23-2011 10:44 AM
    I can't speak to the MIDI question yet. I don't have any USB MIDI instruments yet. Like you I have heard that some MIDI keyboards work.

External USB mics seem to work no problem - at least the ones I've tried. I have managed to get my Rock Band Mics to work with Ipad 1 and IPad 2 through the USB connection kit.

I have not seen anyway to import your own audio files, - only Apple Loops. So as it is right now you would have to record that file through the mic input. -That said, a future update to Mac Garageband is supposed to allow it to read in iPad Garageband files - maybe it will work the other way as well? You might be able to import your audio into the Mac version and then send it to the iPad. This is just speculation on my part though.

So far I really love Garageband on iPad - it is loads of fun. My only complaint so far is that it doesn't let you change the time signature, you are stuck with 4/4.
    --

E Pow: What MIDI keyboard did you try? I want to make sure I avoid it if it doesn't work. Someone needs to build a compatibility matrix.
    03-24-2011 02:47 AM
    Registered to post this... I found that in order to get my Akai LPK25 to be recognized by Garageband using the USB Connection Kit I have to plug it in after I launch Garageband. If I have it plugged in when I launch GB it is not recognized. This is on an iPad I.
    04-10-2011 11:52 PM
    Registered to post this... I found that in order to get my Akai LPK25 to be recognized by Garageband using the USB Connection Kit I have to plug it in after I launch Garageband. If I have it plugged in when I launch GB it is not recognized. This is on an iPad I.
    Interesting. But why is that?
    04-11-2011 05:47 AM
    E Pow: What MIDI keyboard did you try? I want to make sure I avoid it if it doesn't work. Someone needs to build a compatibility matrix.
    I have a M-Audio KeyRig 49 USB midi controller.
    04-11-2011 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD