Smart Cover Causing Battery Drain?

silversurfer20

Feb 4, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone, I have a white 64GB IPad2 with a smart cover and I've had some weird things going on and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced smart cover issues when it comes to battery drain. I have twice experienced battery drainage after closing the cover and letting the IPad just set overnight. Yesterday I went most of the day without even turning it on and when I got home to turn it on it was completely dead. I charged it back up since and everything is fine it seems. The other time was the day prior where I had powered the IPad completely off and when I got up and opened the smart cover the IPad was on. I wiped the IPad clean and did a fresh install. I hope that cures it, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar or in the same ballpark. Thanks for any comments, advice or general knowledge.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing, you have a bum battery! Take that baby back to Apple! I don't see how the cover would affect it, unless it's not turning the screen off???!??!?!

Reactions: anon(52425)

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that I'm not getting the 10 hours of battery life that apple has been touting, but it's nowhere near as extreme as your case. On a single charge, I get about ten hours total- both active use and "sleep" time split about 40% (active)/ 60% (sleep

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I just assume your battery is bad. Even if you didn?t touch the iPad it should go to sleep on its own. I?m not 100% sure, but I can?t see the smart cover interfering with the battery or causing battery drainage. I could be wrong though, but it just seems more like a bad iPad than a bad smart cover. My smart cover hasn?t given my iPad any problems.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
are you pushing email?
is it still on wifi?
when you wake are their push messages there for you to address.

Sleep just darkens the screen, but it is till on. Working...receiving emails receiving push messages and such. You want it off either turn it off or put it in airplane mode before closing the cover.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually it could be either the iPad or the cover...there's a magnet and sensor set (one in the cover, one in the iPad) that sleeps/wakes the iPad when the cover goes on/off. See this teardown for a closer look. You might ask about that specifically if you take it to Apple.

johnmarshall4

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Another tip - if you are worried about the cover's wake up feature, you can disable it in Settings... General... iPad cover Lock / Unlock. If it happens again, at least you could disable that and take it out of the equation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner