How do I get videos off my PC onto my iPad2???

ballajb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought iMovie and wanted to try and edit a video last night but ran into the problem that I could not get my videos I shot with my canon camera onto my iPad2 to edit. Can anyone help me with this?

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Once you get the Camera Connection Kit, you could also hook your camera up directing to your iPad connection kit if you don?t have a SD card.

jdhart73

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You have to convert your canon video into a format that you can put into Itunes to transfer to your idevice. You will need a program like VIDEOMONKEY to do this (google it), should be free. You drag and drop your canon video into the video monkey window and it will convert it to MP4 and I believe you can even select an option to automatically send it to itunes when finished converting. I use VisualHub but its not available anymore.

Good luck!

johnmarshall4

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
To add a bit more to what jdhart73 said..

iMovie on iPad is very picky about what type of video it will edit. Mostly it wants to edit movies shot with iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. This is a let down for most people, myself included. I have managed to convert some video shot with a digicam to a format it would accept, but it is very hit and miss. I even tried a digicam that shot directly to 720P MP4 format, practically the same as the iPad and it wouldn't work, until I converted it with Quicktime in the .mov format. Even then I had to try several settings to get it to work. For what its worth I think iMovie is picky about the audio sample frequency as well.

If you have a Cannon HD that shoots in AVCHD (I do) forget it, that format is definitely not supported directly.

As for getting the videos onto the device, it seems that the video must be in your 'camera roll'. That means viewable in the photo app, not the Video app. To get the video there the camera kit works well but expensive. You can also sync via iTunes, but the process is complicated. I found the easiest and cheapest thing was to buy an app called "Photo Transfer App". This lets to copy photos and video from your computer to your iPad using Wifi and put them in the correct place. It also lets you copy between devices over wifi. And it is 2 or 3 bucks, instead of the 30.00 for the transfer kit.

huedaman

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
All very interesting suggestions. Though, sadly none of them actually work. Neither by software nor by hardware solutions.

Despite following these [and other seemingly logical suggestions elsewhere on the web] for getting non-ipad2-created-video-clips onto the ipad2, I have yet to been able to get any of my imported videos to be accepted by iMovie on the ipad2.

Yes, they will appear in either the 'videos' category or 'photos/camera roll' category [depending on how I got them on the ipad2].

And yes, once there, they will even play just fine [both video and audio] when played on the ipad2, so long as they meet the published standards for ipad2 video formats.

But to the point in question, no, iMovie does >NOT< see any of them on the ipad2. Period.

If I 'shoot' a video with the ipad2, then it works fine. Then [and so far, ONLY then] I can bring the video into iMovie. But so far, no video put on the ipad2 via any other import mechanism.

[I really do wish that people 'answering' questions actually tried their 'solution' before posting it -- or at least, prefaced their 'solution' with something like 'the following should work', or 'the following works on my mac', or 'the following might work, but I don't have the equivalent hardware to try it on'....]

The web -- you get what you pay for...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro