Do you wish the iPad came in a smaller size?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
,but the majority of the new android tablets will be running honeycomb. Yes is buggy but the kinks should be iron out as updates roll in.

I have zero interest in honeycomb. Not because I'm an Apple lover, (I wil buy which ever company has the better product, period) but because honeycomb looks like crap. To me, honeycomb feels half baked. Yea it's 1.0, but I still don't feel it's a good os. I don't like how it looks. Also the hardware being put out is pretty meh to me.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I suppose Apple might produce an 7-inch iProduct, but not named iPad.
Just as Rene said, at 7-inches, the software you can run on a tablet isn't significantly differentiated from what you can run on a phone. So if Apple get the 7-inch product, then it's a totally different product from iPad, iPod, but a creative iProduct might be named iPaper or something like that~

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The 7in tablet is for people with flip phones. They would see that as imax sized. If I have a phone with a 3.5 in screen what is 4 more inches gonna do?

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not complaining and nothing is personal here. Its a fact. If it has an Apple logo, chances are you will buy it. Everyone knows this.

No, it is not a fact and everyone doesn't know this... just forum trolls. Do you have any clue how many years I've been using computers? Do you know how many different platforms of computers I've been considered an EXPERT on? I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly don't buy Apple products because of the logo. Your saying so is rather insulting.

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The ipad fits nicely in my purse right now.

Hehe... that's a big purse! I guess I was just trying to say that for most guys, if it doesn't fit in the pocket or suit coat pocket, it doesn't matter if it is 7" or 10". So, I guess it is only some small-pursed women who might want the 7" (so long as they have really good eyesight). Though, I think Rene's response was really to the point... it is primarily a basic UI issue.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hoenycomb is nice because its a OS designed for a tablet. Not just an over blown iPhone. Sure it may be "magical" but think of real world use. Would you love to have short cuts to stuff in your apps right from the home screen?

xxraffyxx

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have zero interest in honeycomb. Not because I'm an Apple lover, (I wil buy which ever company has the better product, period) but because honeycomb looks like crap. To me, honeycomb feels half baked. Yea it's 1.0, but I still don't feel it's a good os. I don't like how it looks. Also the hardware being put out is pretty meh to me.

Out of curiosity what looks like crap about it? I will agree 100% about it not easy to use, but just curious what about honeycomb OS looks like crap?

The 7in tablet is for people with flip phones. They would see that as imax sized. If I have a phone with a 3.5 in screen what is 4 more inches gonna do?

I have a "jumbo phone" droid x with a 4.3" screen and and I loved using the 7" tablet. I know it doesn't sound as much, but its one of those things that you have to have and use over the course of a week. Many tech reviewers also (noah from technobuffalo for one) state that the 7" tablet is a great size. I'm not saying its better then the 9.7" screen. I just dont think people should jump to conclusion just because its only 4 inches bigger then their phones.

Last edited:

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I think the current iPad size is perfect. In my personal opinion it would be kinda pointless to create a smaller iPad a couple inches bigger that the iPod touch. The iPad and iPod touch are kinda the same so why make them similar in size also. I think the current size is perfect.

negus7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, there is always room for improvement in any product, including the iPad. But, as far as I am concerned, size is not one of them. I think mine is perfectly sized.

johnmarshall4

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well the fact is that if Steve says that won't make a 7" iPad that is pretty much a guarantee that they WILL. They also said they would never make a phone, LOL.

I used to think that a 7" tablet would be the perfect size. Now I'm not so sure. If I can't carry it hands free, (i.e. it doesn't fit in my pocket or clip to my belt) I'm not sure the 7" would be any more convenient. That said, I hope they DO make one so we can settle this argument in the market.

As for the UI argument, it is pretty pointless. Steve said you couldn't have a good experience on a 7" tablet - you'd have to file your fingers down... Well how do you explain having a good experience on a 3.5" iPhone then? Sure the 7" experience won't be as rich as the 10" ipad, but it would be better than the iPhone. Maybe they would position it more as a large iPod Touch and target gaming. It could compete with the PSP in form factor. In fact just give the touch a 6" screen with the same retina display resolution and it might be a very nice gaming device / e-reader.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Another one who agrees, leave the iPad the way it is, no reason to have a smaller size, heck I bought it because the screen size is perfect the way it is..a great size to tuck away in a big purse, backpack, briefcase, etc. just as easily as the "other" smaller tablets..I don't mind thinner, but not smaller..

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a tablet...

I think the big point is that it is a tablet. A phone should be phone sized... a tablet should be, well, tablet sized. If anything, an argument could be made for it being bigger, not smaller. If you make it much smaller, it really isn't a tablet any longer.

I suppose there could be some margin there... I'm not saying Apple necessarily found the perfect size (though, they do tend to do a LOT of actual studies on such things). I'm just saying that 7" doesn't really seem like a tablet to me. Maybe a mini-scratch-pad or something.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Another one who agrees, leave the iPad the way it is, no reason to have a smaller size, heck I bought it because the screen size is perfect the way it is..a great size to tuck away in a big purse, backpack, briefcase, etc. just as easily as the "other" smaller tablets..I don't mind thinner, but not smaller..

i agree 1000%

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
7" ipad would need to be marketed at the e-Reader catergory.

as for a 16:10 or 16:9 ipad. Look at your computers. Look at the macs. Hell look at the 11" macbook air and the 21 and 27" imacs. Thoser three are in 16:9 so the argument of "its only for TVs" is irreverent.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Is any size perfect for everyone? No, that's why we have choice. Maybe Steve does not like the 7" size but that does not mean it would not sell. He also thinks the 3.5" screen is perfect but there are a ton of folks loving their 4.3" Android devices (and we may see a larger iPhone screen in a few months??). I like the iPad's size right now after using it for a few days but I could also conform quickly to the 7" size (I considered a Galaxy Tab for months).

One thing is certain for me personally, 3.5" is too small. I'll stick with Android if the 5 is still 3.5".

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is any size perfect for everyone? No, that's why we have choice. Maybe Steve does not like the 7" size but that does not mean it would not sell. He also thinks the 3.5" screen is perfect but there are a ton of folks loving their 4.3" Android devices (and we may see a larger iPhone screen in a few months??). I like the iPad's size right now after using it for a few days but I could also conform quickly to the 7" size (I considered a Galaxy Tab for months).

One thing is certain for me personally, 3.5" is too small. I'll stick with Android if the 5 is still 3.5".

and thats the thing too. Jobs says "people do not want 4" phones. its that simple" Well if it were that simple why do they make them? (same could be said for anything jobs says "people don't want") why is the EVO or the droids on Verizon their top sellling android phones? If they didn;t sell then everyone will be walking around with 3.5" phones and those phones would be discontuned. . Yes 4" phones are big, but compared to 20 years ago when a chip could be the size of your thumb is now the size of your pinkey fingernail they can be big, but still thin.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro