I wish they would make a larger iPad. Maybe 11x8 screen like a sheet of paper.
    03-22-2011 06:07 PM
    Hoenycomb is nice because its a OS designed for a tablet. Not just an over blown iPhone. Sure it may be "magical" but think of real world use. Would you love to have short cuts to stuff in your apps right from the home screen?
    03-22-2011 07:30 PM
    I have zero interest in honeycomb. Not because I'm an Apple lover, (I wil buy which ever company has the better product, period) but because honeycomb looks like crap. To me, honeycomb feels half baked. Yea it's 1.0, but I still don't feel it's a good os. I don't like how it looks. Also the hardware being put out is pretty meh to me.
    Out of curiosity what looks like crap about it? I will agree 100% about it not easy to use, but just curious what about honeycomb OS looks like crap?

The 7in tablet is for people with flip phones. They would see that as imax sized. If I have a phone with a 3.5 in screen what is 4 more inches gonna do?
    I have a "jumbo phone" droid x with a 4.3" screen and and I loved using the 7" tablet. I know it doesn't sound as much, but its one of those things that you have to have and use over the course of a week. Many tech reviewers also (noah from technobuffalo for one) state that the 7" tablet is a great size. I'm not saying its better then the 9.7" screen. I just dont think people should jump to conclusion just because its only 4 inches bigger then their phones.
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 03-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    03-23-2011 01:06 AM
    I think the current iPad size is perfect. In my personal opinion it would be kinda pointless to create a smaller iPad a couple inches bigger that the iPod touch. The iPad and iPod touch are kinda the same so why make them similar in size also. I think the current size is perfect.
    03-23-2011 10:39 AM
    Hey, there is always room for improvement in any product, including the iPad. But, as far as I am concerned, size is not one of them. I think mine is perfectly sized.
    03-23-2011 08:16 PM
    the ipad is a bit bigger than other tablet computers.
    03-24-2011 02:48 PM
    Well the fact is that if Steve says that won't make a 7" iPad that is pretty much a guarantee that they WILL. They also said they would never make a phone, LOL.

I used to think that a 7" tablet would be the perfect size. Now I'm not so sure. If I can't carry it hands free, (i.e. it doesn't fit in my pocket or clip to my belt) I'm not sure the 7" would be any more convenient. That said, I hope they DO make one so we can settle this argument in the market.

As for the UI argument, it is pretty pointless. Steve said you couldn't have a good experience on a 7" tablet - you'd have to file your fingers down... Well how do you explain having a good experience on a 3.5" iPhone then? Sure the 7" experience won't be as rich as the 10" ipad, but it would be better than the iPhone. Maybe they would position it more as a large iPod Touch and target gaming. It could compete with the PSP in form factor. In fact just give the touch a 6" screen with the same retina display resolution and it might be a very nice gaming device / e-reader.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    03-24-2011 04:42 PM
    keep the iPad the way it is.... 7"?? might as well stick with the iphone
    03-24-2011 09:37 PM
    Another one who agrees, leave the iPad the way it is, no reason to have a smaller size, heck I bought it because the screen size is perfect the way it is..a great size to tuck away in a big purse, backpack, briefcase, etc. just as easily as the "other" smaller tablets..I don't mind thinner, but not smaller..
    03-24-2011 10:06 PM
    I think the big point is that it is a tablet. A phone should be phone sized... a tablet should be, well, tablet sized. If anything, an argument could be made for it being bigger, not smaller. If you make it much smaller, it really isn't a tablet any longer.

I suppose there could be some margin there... I'm not saying Apple necessarily found the perfect size (though, they do tend to do a LOT of actual studies on such things). I'm just saying that 7" doesn't really seem like a tablet to me. Maybe a mini-scratch-pad or something.
    03-25-2011 05:41 AM
    I think it's perfect like it is.
    03-25-2011 10:57 AM
    Another one who agrees, leave the iPad the way it is, no reason to have a smaller size, heck I bought it because the screen size is perfect the way it is..a great size to tuck away in a big purse, backpack, briefcase, etc. just as easily as the "other" smaller tablets..I don't mind thinner, but not smaller..
    i agree 1000%
    03-25-2011 01:42 PM
    7" ipad would need to be marketed at the e-Reader catergory.

as for a 16:10 or 16:9 ipad. Look at your computers. Look at the macs. Hell look at the 11" macbook air and the 21 and 27" imacs. Thoser three are in 16:9 so the argument of "its only for TVs" is irreverent.
    03-25-2011 07:49 PM
    Is any size perfect for everyone? No, that's why we have choice. Maybe Steve does not like the 7" size but that does not mean it would not sell. He also thinks the 3.5" screen is perfect but there are a ton of folks loving their 4.3" Android devices (and we may see a larger iPhone screen in a few months??). I like the iPad's size right now after using it for a few days but I could also conform quickly to the 7" size (I considered a Galaxy Tab for months).

One thing is certain for me personally, 3.5" is too small. I'll stick with Android if the 5 is still 3.5".
    03-25-2011 08:29 PM
    Is any size perfect for everyone? No, that's why we have choice. Maybe Steve does not like the 7" size but that does not mean it would not sell. He also thinks the 3.5" screen is perfect but there are a ton of folks loving their 4.3" Android devices (and we may see a larger iPhone screen in a few months??). I like the iPad's size right now after using it for a few days but I could also conform quickly to the 7" size (I considered a Galaxy Tab for months).

One thing is certain for me personally, 3.5" is too small. I'll stick with Android if the 5 is still 3.5".
    and thats the thing too. Jobs says "people do not want 4" phones. its that simple" Well if it were that simple why do they make them? (same could be said for anything jobs says "people don't want") why is the EVO or the droids on Verizon their top sellling android phones? If they didn;t sell then everyone will be walking around with 3.5" phones and those phones would be discontuned. . Yes 4" phones are big, but compared to 20 years ago when a chip could be the size of your thumb is now the size of your pinkey fingernail they can be big, but still thin.
    03-25-2011 11:39 PM
    Not at all. I think this is the perfect size. I don't necessarily use it to replace my laptop completely but it significantly cuts down on my laptop usage. Anything smaller wouldn't work for my needs.
    03-27-2011 09:40 AM
    yes, definitely...it's bigger than my handbag...
    03-27-2011 12:26 PM
    yes, definitely...it's bigger than my handbag...
    Yep, that is pretty much the only reason I can think of why Apple should consider a smaller size. There are people who would be willing to suffer with a lesser UI experience in trade for the practicality of the smaller size (whether they realize it or not... which I'm guessing many of the 7" tablet fans of other brands do not).

Historically, the way Apple decides on these things doesn't bode well for your wish though.
    03-27-2011 03:13 PM
    Do you wish the iPad came in a smaller size?
    Nope.

But really Steve????? Four versions of the iPod makes sense but "One Size Fits ALL" for iPad? "Seriously", I say in my best Grey's Anatomy voice?
    What year did the iPod originally come out? What year was the first year with multiple (physical) sizes of iPods?

So, out of sheer curiousity, if the next upgrade to an iPad was a smaller size, would you buy one if this was your FIRST iPad purchase?
    Nope.
    03-27-2011 08:48 PM
    I love the current size and no, I wouldn't purchase a 7" "tablet". I don't consider an iPad "portable" and didn't buy it as such. It fits in my bag and when I'm sitting somewhere that I can sit back and relax, I use it. When I'm at the grocery store and need a list, I want something that slides into a pocket easily, thus my iPhone. I definitely couldn't see myself comfortably watching streaming media from my desk on a 7" device. Two different devices for two different needs...one portable, the other practical. No need in my life for an in-between size.

IMO, the iPad was more a laptop replacement than anything. I've never carried a laptop around, but this baby goes to work with me every day and will also travel with me. It's perfect!
    03-27-2011 10:22 PM
    Vote for 7" iPad here as well. I think at least having the option is definitely worth it. Even if the thickness of the device was a concern and mandated a thicker shell - the trade-off is sooo worth it. As a matter of fact, I think a bit of thickness added onto a smaller form factor would feel "just right" in my hands when I was on the move. Sometimes I am worried that this paper-thin piece of electronic wizardry is going to slip right out of my hand and make that final marriage with the concrete at my feet!
    03-28-2011 11:32 PM
    @SteveW928 - the comment on Apple's decisions coinciding with the wishes of the consumer is so true! I wish it wasn't as I believe there are so many great ideas that come from the community that I would love to see implemented into a real-world device, but who are we to question the God's over there anyway?
    03-28-2011 11:36 PM
    @SteveW928 - the comment on Apple's decisions coinciding with the wishes of the consumer is so true! I wish it wasn't as I believe there are so many great ideas that come from the community that I would love to see implemented into a real-world device, but who are we to question the God's over there anyway?
    Remember, it's a double-edged sword though. If you allow too much input from customers, you'll end up with all kinds of crazy stuff, too diverse of product lines, and generally a mess. It ultimately ends up holding back innovation. Apple tends to err on the conservative side. Generally, I think they do well because if it, even though they get so much flack on it.

Giving someone an inferior device, even if they have asked for it, is a tricky thing. People usually end up, at least sub-consciously, blaming it on the company. For example... say Apple makes the 7" tablet, and people generally have a more difficult time using the UI, though the problem is too slight to be absolutely obvious. (because with the compressed UI, things are harder to do) They aren't going to say, 'Gee, Apple warned me about this, so I should have bought the 10"' Instead, they will just be more likely to be slightly unsatisfied and buy some other brand the next time.

Also, in my many years of experience with Apple, they actually do seem to listen quite a bit. I've submitted many ideas to them over the years on their products, and a good number of them have been implemented. I'm sure some of them were natural directions they were headed anyway... others were probably things lots of people asked for. But, some were things that were pretty obscure, so I've almost wondered if my voice played a part in it happening.
    03-29-2011 03:33 AM
    Vote for 7" iPad here as well. I think at least having the option is definitely worth it. Even if the thickness of the device was a concern and mandated a thicker shell - the trade-off is sooo worth it. As a matter of fact, I think a bit of thickness added onto a smaller form factor would feel "just right" in my hands when I was on the move. Sometimes I am worried that this paper-thin piece of electronic wizardry is going to slip right out of my hand and make that final marriage with the concrete at my feet!
    Good to hear I'm not the only one. I have soo much more to stay about why the 7" is a great size, but I thinkg too many people dont like the idea of a "only" 7 inch tablet.

Common people haven't you heard..... "dont knock it till you try it"

I have a ipad 2 and a xoom, and would quickly drop both of them for a 7" ipad or honeycomb tablet.
    03-29-2011 01:48 PM
    There are people who would be willing to suffer with a lesser UI experience in trade for the practicality of the smaller size (whether they realize it or not... which I'm guessing many of the 7" tablet fans of other brands do not).
    No offense, but what added practicality UI-wise does an iPad offer over an iPhone? Other than apps being specifically designed for the larger screen, there really isn't much of a difference. Plus the argument that you cannot offer a comprehensive user experience on a 7" device isn't necessarily true either. Take a look at the Blackberry PlayBook, for example. It's not just a larger Blackberry phone as it has an OS specifically designed for a tablet, unlike the iPad.

If you look at Apple, they have essentially 3 product lines running the same software (iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad). I'm not saying it's not a decent OS as I left Android for an iPhone 4 when it came to Verizon; however, a tablet should offer the user functionality that they can't get on their phone, much like Android Honeycomb (despite it not being totally finished) and Blackberry's QNX OS.
    Last edited by Scout_313; 03-30-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    03-30-2011 11:05 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD