I cannot help but wonder how the earthquake will impact iPad supplies. While countless factors could be in play, I'm curious if Apple will divert stock to help supplement supplies here and in Europe. With the delayed launch perhaps we will see better shipping dates soon.

e_t
    03-16-2011 02:36 AM
    This was asked over at Mac rumors and the OP got ripped a new anus.
    03-16-2011 01:38 PM
    I just called my local Walmart...out here in the boondocks, I thought, Hey - maybe they have a stack of ipad2's and no one thought to try there.

Anyway, the girl that answered the phone left me on hold for a minute ( I assumed she was transfering me to Electronics...) but she came back on and said:

"Due to the situation in Japan, no one will be receiving any ipad2's for five to six weeks."

Gotta tell you, that sounds like it came from Walmart corporate headquarters if you ask me...

Just saying.
    03-16-2011 02:19 PM
    Sounds good except the iPads (and virtually all of Apple's products) are manufactured in China... not Japan... true, some parts are made in Japan, but there is still supply in the pipeline, so I doubt it will dry up completely that quickly...
    03-16-2011 02:25 PM
    "I" know that, but was just commenting that it is interesting that Walmart's official position is pointing elsewhere.

Trust me, the employees at our local Walmart are just reading off the call sheet, not making up answers themselves :-P
    03-16-2011 02:28 PM
    Let me be clear, my heartfelt sympathies go out to all those impacted by this disaster. It would be foolish to believe that this will not impact the world economy. Please understand, I do not wish to be morbid or selfish. I am only curious as to others thoughts on this.
    03-16-2011 02:47 PM
    I agree with your statement of sympathy and concern for the people of Japan. And, yes, it is incredibly short-sighted to think that what happened there will not impact many things across the globe... my comments were strictly stating a fact that virtually all of the Apple line of products is manufactured in China and not in Japan.
    03-16-2011 03:22 PM
    Some supplies do come from Japan and with all the units sold, there would be a shortage sooner of later.

Here is an interesting article regarding that issue (with sources that some supplies do come from japan)

Japanese Earthquake Poses Potential Supply Problems for iPad 2

Regardless of what happens, I think we all should agree what happened last week was terrible, and the recovery should be a first priority over electronic supplies. The main issue now is that nuclear reactor as that could impact the world (regardless of what our governments tell us) All of this is going to take years to get cleaned up.

But I do hope there will be no one who is going to cry over the fact that the iPad may be delayed. Just shows how much you care for other people.
    03-18-2011 10:42 PM
    I just called my local Walmart...out here in the boondocks, I thought, Hey - maybe they have a stack of ipad2's and no one thought to try there.

Anyway, the girl that answered the phone left me on hold for a minute ( I assumed she was transfering me to Electronics...) but she came back on and said:

"Due to the situation in Japan, no one will be receiving any ipad2's for five to six weeks."

Just saying.
    The guy at Best Buy today in Phoenix used the exact same reason but said it would be 2 to 3 weeks.
    03-19-2011 12:46 AM
    The guy at Best Buy today in Phoenix used the exact same reason but said it would be 2 to 3 weeks.
    You haven't scored an iPad2 yet? Seriously, keep checking with Mac Media Inc... they have had several shipments over the past week...
    03-19-2011 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD