So now with the Smart Cover will you still need a full case? I've not had ipad 1 so I'm totally new to the accessory side of things. I've seen some covers, like daytimer covers for your ipad. Just wondered if the Smart Cover will be all you need.
    03-15-2011 05:54 PM
    Hi jmgilliam: I guess it depends upon how much of a Butterfingers you are and WHERE you plan on using it. Now, I don't have an iPad (yet) but, I've had a Sony E-Reader for 4 years. It came with a flip open case similar to the Smart Cover. I traveled throughout Europe with it last year, and all over the U.S. since owning it. After 4 years of intense use, there's not a scratch on either the cover or the Reader, but then I've NEVER dropped it, read in the tub (oops!) or put myself in some crazy situation. Because of the smaller footprint of the Reader (7"), it's easy enough to drop into any normal sized backpack or purse, so that further helped it stay pristine.

I'd say, use your iPad to write up a "Typical Day in the Life of _____" and see how brutal, or not, you'd be with it; that should clue you in! Word of note: My Daughter goes to school at the Art Institute of Chicago. She told me last week that NO ONE is pulling out their iPads any longer, in public, because of the extreme theft problem going on. One girl was knocked down, last week, and the guy ran away with a lime-green jacket on himself; was so sure of not getting caught, he could be blatant about it! So, all the students are ONLY using their iPads inside the campus, now, not on Michigan Ave. or at El stops. Sucks but they're pretty popular and easy to grab right out of your hand.
    03-15-2011 06:19 PM
    Targus has a nice case for the iPad 2. It's the Targus 360 degree swivel case. I can't post the link as I am new here. It's available on Amazon, and I should be getting mine at the house this time next week. Check it out.
    03-15-2011 08:23 PM
    Speaking of the smart cover, I was wondering if the smart cover will eventually scratch the side of the ipad from all of the contact (removing, and relplying)?
    03-16-2011 01:27 AM
    It has a thin rubber bumper on it, so I don't see it scratching it.

The big issue with these of course is no back protection which means you'll likely need to get something like Invisible Shield, Best Skin Ever or the like to protect it.
    03-16-2011 02:49 AM
    It has a thin rubber bumper on it, so I don't see it scratching it.

The big issue with these of course is no back protection which means you'll likely need to get something like Invisible Shield, Best Skin Ever or the like to protect it.
    I love invisible shield. I was planning on getting a smart cover, invisible shield, and the targus crave case. Seems like a good combo.
    03-16-2011 03:39 PM
    Not happy with Smart Cover, did not know that it only covers the front. Hope one comes out that covers both front and back.
    03-16-2011 07:40 PM
    I love invisible shield. I was planning on getting a smart cover, invisible shield, and the targus crave case. Seems like a good combo.
    You know Apple's got it made when buying their product inspires someone to happily and immediately purchase THREE protective accessories to go with the five to eight or so hundred dollar item.
    Cahow likes this.
    03-16-2011 08:44 PM
    You know Apple's got it made when buying their product inspires someone to happily and immediately purchase THREE protective accessories to go with the five to eight or so hundred dollar item.
    Honestly I just want the smart cover because it seems cool. As far as usability though I don't think it's something I would actually use a whole lot. The invisible shield isn't offered through Apple, and neither is the Targus case I mentioned. So really all I'm going to buy from Apple in addition to the iPad 2 itself is: a BT keyboard, smart cover, and the Apple Care.

When ever I plan on buying a Apple product, I plan on spending a few $100 moe then I set out to. It's a horrible addiction lol.
    03-17-2011 12:06 AM
    I got the green smart cover and I really like it a lot. However, it doesn't protect the back so many will opt not to buy them.

I have to say I will likely buy a different case for me at some point because when I travel the risk of dropping it increases. So, I'd likely use the case when I travel and then when just using it at home or the office use the Smart Cover.

Apple does have a way of getting us. One thing I won't buy from Apple is Apple Care, there are too many other good warranties out there such as SquareTrade that cover accidents such as cracked screens and full water immersion. Plus these newer ones include their buy back program at a cost that isn't much more than the Apple care. In fact with their recent 40% off I was able to get it for the same price as the Apple Care and I am now covered for a few 2 years.
    03-17-2011 12:25 AM
    I love my blue smart cover! All I am waiting for is the power support anti glare screen protector for the front and I am thinking about getting a gela skins for the back!
    03-17-2011 12:30 AM
    I dont like that the smart cover does not cover the back of the iPad
    03-17-2011 02:57 AM
    I bought the smart cover and a small carrying case like for laptops. Works perfectly. When I'm dine I can put it back into the case. The smart cover I'd great for putting it to sleep, protecting the back on tables while in use and for using it as a stand. I love the magnetic adhesion.
    I used an American Express card, so i get 90 days damage/loss protection and 1 year extent ion of apple warranty, no need for AppleCare.
    03-17-2011 04:47 AM
    The Smart Cover is great. But, you'd still need a shell-style case to wraparound the back if you want to protect that. Whilst your iPad certainly won't scratch as much as the iPod touch, you'll still need something to shield the back if you want to ensure 0 scratches.
    03-17-2011 06:00 AM
    I ordered the black leather smart cover. I like the idea of getting a netbook pouch or something like that to protect the iPad when carrying it in a bag.
    I am hoping the smart cover will work along side a gel skin cover to protect the back, otherwise I will look at getting one of those plastic screen protectors (wrap around) that also protects the back.
    03-17-2011 06:02 AM
    Honestly I just want the smart cover because it seems cool. As far as usability though I don't think it's something I would actually use a whole lot. The invisible shield isn't offered through Apple, and neither is the Targus case I mentioned. So really all I'm going to buy from Apple in addition to the iPad 2 itself is: a BT keyboard, smart cover, and the Apple Care.

When ever I plan on buying a Apple product, I plan on spending a few $100 moe then I set out to. It's a horrible addiction lol.
    I didn't mean that Apple makes money from all of the accessories so much as the fact that all of these things are more or less necessary, but not included with the device - which already costs hundreds of dollars.

IMO, at the very least, if you buy a $40 case, like the ugly but great original Apple iPad case, it ought to provide protection for the whole device.
    03-17-2011 07:13 AM
    I got the green smart cover and I really like it a lot. However, it doesn't protect the back so many will opt not to buy them.

I have to say I will likely buy a different case for me at some point because when I travel the risk of dropping it increases. So, I'd likely use the case when I travel and then when just using it at home or the office use the Smart Cover.

Apple does have a way of getting us. One thing I won't buy from Apple is Apple Care, there are too many other good warranties out there such as SquareTrade that cover accidents such as cracked screens and full water immersion. Plus these newer ones include their buy back program at a cost that isn't much more than the Apple care. In fact with their recent 40% off I was able to get it for the same price as the Apple Care and I am now covered for a few 2 years.
    I usually just buy Apple Care. I have never had a problem with Apple not helping me. They are really good about Customer Care.
    03-17-2011 06:34 PM
    I didn't mean that Apple makes money from all of the accessories so much as the fact that all of these things are more or less necessary, but not included with the device - which already costs hundreds of dollars.

IMO, at the very least, if you buy a $40 case, like the ugly but great original Apple iPad case, it ought to provide protection for the whole device.
    Yea, I know what you mean. I plan on geting the 64GB wifi, and spending an additional 300 on accessories. lol
    03-17-2011 06:39 PM
    There is always this application for the iPad2/Smart Cover...

iClarified - Apple News - iPad 2 Smart Cover Doubles As Refrigerator Mount [Image]
    03-17-2011 06:54 PM
    I usually just buy Apple Care. I have never had a problem with Apple not helping me. They are really good about Customer Care.
    You break that screen and or drop that bad boy in water they won't help you. Because those issues are not covered. Only thing Apple Care is an an extension of their normal manufacturer warranty.

But hey you get what you feel most comfortable with. The point of my post was to say there are much better alternatives.

I've seen a few reports of smart covers losing their magnetism on one side or the other. Mine is still working great. I really like the way it looks and the functionality of rolling it back is really simple.
    03-17-2011 07:26 PM
    Hey, nice thread guys. I want to use your information on my Blackberry torch skin cover blog as a reference because there are so many things which we can share and hopefully it will bring profits to your pocket too.
    10-29-2011 04:07 AM
    if you want a ebelow smart cover then you might have to sacrifice a back protection. At the moment their is no iPad silicon backs that work with iPad smart cover. Don't get me wrong there are traveling case for example the hard candy bubble sleeve. You can put you iPad with a smart cover into that and it will protect it while your not using it. If want something to protect it while you use it the you might have to go with another option. At the moment the only thing you can do would be to buy a skin for the back like an invisible scratch resistance sticker. Or you can get the same thing but it can have a design on it. By doing that use use that idea an then hope for over time something is invented. It's also not that pricey of an option.
    11-01-2011 10:18 PM
    Not really that impressed by the Smart Cover - if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it.

It does work quite well as a temporary stand, but I find it a bit flappy when fully open and folded behind the iPad. So I find myself taking it off constantly when I want to use it for a longer period of time.
    11-06-2011 08:39 AM
    i like mine. I do take it off when i am reading magazines or books but otherwise its fine. All personal preference.
    11-06-2011 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD