View Poll Results: Does your iPad 2 have the light leak issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 58.82%
  • No

20 29.41%
  • Light leak? What's a light leak?

8 11.76%
    I'm sure most have you heard there are a lot of new iPad owners out there who have severe cases of light leakage on their new device. Curious as to how many of you have the problem as well?
    03-13-2011 05:56 PM
    Probably quite a few.

It will be gone in a few days hopefully.
    03-13-2011 06:52 PM
    I have the issue. Will decide by next weekend if I will go exchange it.

On a separate note, I am once again the recipient of an iPad with a dead pixel (happened on my first one too)
    03-13-2011 06:54 PM
    I see it as well, but no dead pixels!
    03-13-2011 07:23 PM
    Perhaps its time to invest in some playtex or stayfrees?
    03-13-2011 08:40 PM
    Aha, I haven't plan to buy an iPad 2
    03-13-2011 10:04 PM
    I do have some light leak, but I don't think it is enough to exchange it. It doesn't really bother me, but I may go in and see what apple says.
    03-13-2011 10:15 PM
    I have some, but it doesn't bother me much. I can only see it if the screen shows a black background and I'm using it in a dark room. Because I have my Kindle app set for white text on a black background, the light leak shows up when I read before I go to sleep at night. Otherwise, I can't see it at all if I'm in a lighted room.

Not enough of a distraction to pursue a replacement.
    03-14-2011 09:33 AM
    There are some reports of this simply going away similar to the blotches from the adhesive not being fully dried. So there is a slight chance of this being the case. Can anyone confirm that it has gotten better or completely gone away after a few days?
    03-14-2011 05:35 PM
    I've got it in both upper corners.. but only in the camera app is it ever visible..
    03-17-2011 03:59 PM
    Yeah, I see it at the top left is one small area, but as jhamliton said it is only visible with the cam app or a full black screen. I don't notice it otherwise, so I am happy.
    03-17-2011 08:29 PM
    Does anyone can show picture or video how it looks?
    03-18-2011 06:22 PM
    Mine is actually pretty bad. I have it in three spots and it was bothering me today while playing infinity blade on an airplane that was pretty dark inside. Infinity blade has the black bars at the top and bottom and the light leak is distracting. I imagine it would also bug me watching a movie in the dark. I paid too much for this problem. I'll make a decision by this next weekend. I'll take some pics if I get time.
    03-18-2011 09:12 PM
    There are some reports of this simply going away similar to the blotches from the adhesive not being fully dried. So there is a slight chance of this being the case. Can anyone confirm that it has gotten better or completely gone away after a few days?
    I'm curious if it IS going away for any of these people who originally posted...
    03-19-2011 04:51 AM
    I have light leaks on mine in multiple places. Again, it's not unbearable, but I paid too much money for my iPad to have any sort of defects. I'm calling Apple tomorrow to see what I can do.

32 GB, WiFi, Black
    03-20-2011 12:07 AM
    I have light leak, but I don't think it will be a big enough issue to return this thing.
    03-20-2011 01:40 AM
    I have light leaks on mine in multiple places. Again, it's not unbearable, but I paid too much money for my iPad to have any sort of defects. I'm calling Apple tomorrow to see what I can do.

32 GB, WiFi, Black
    Did you get anywhere with Apple on this topic? Both my iPad 2's have the issue...
    03-21-2011 09:42 PM
    Apple will replace it no questions ask. Apple is the best when it comes to warranty. The problem is that most replacement has the same issue. So why waste your time? wait about a month or two until apple correct this QC issue.
    03-21-2011 09:58 PM
    YouTube - wwwinsanelygreatmac's Channel

Original iPad also has the screen bleed. So its nothing new.
    03-22-2011 08:29 AM
    I just got my 3rd brand new replacement white 32gig WiFi iPad 2 today, the guy helping me was great, he went as far as the open the new iPad 2 and take it in the back and check to see if there was any light leak, came back out said it was fine, I got excited. I got home turned it on and sure enough, with out even being in a darkroom or turning the light off I could see the light leak in about 5 places.

Anyone have any ideas? I think Im going to call Apple today and tell them I just want my case left open until this issue gets resolved. Like someone said earlier, I payed too much for it not to work properly
    03-22-2011 02:43 PM
    I just got my 3rd brand new replacement white 32gig WiFi iPad 2 today, the guy helping me was great, he went as far as the open the new iPad 2 and take it in the back and check to see if there was any light leak, came back out said it was fine, I got excited. I got home turned it on and sure enough, with out even being in a darkroom or turning the light off I could see the light leak in about 5 places.

Anyone have any ideas? I think Im going to call Apple today and tell them I just want my case left open until this issue gets resolved. Like someone said earlier, I payed too much for it not to work properly
    how bad is the light leak? Is it real bad? enough that you keep seeing it? Maybe wait a couple of months to exchange it again if its not bad. Hopefully quality control will be better soon. It will improve with enough returns country and or world wide
    03-22-2011 03:19 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

I got my fourth iPad 2 today, I've had 3 white 32 gig WiFi and today I got a fourth, this time it's black though. Got it home and took a look, the least light leak of all of them but still a decent amount.

I'm going to giv this one a week or two and see if it gets any worse or not. The first one I had got worse since day 1. It's not a HUGE deal but I do a lot of reading a night in bed etc, and seeing the yellowish tint then and on any dark screen is just annoying to me. I guess I just want it to work properly.

Anyone buy the Apple Care for their new iPad 2?? I'm still thinking about it, especially with this whole experience.
    03-22-2011 11:13 PM
    how bad is the light leak? Is it real bad? enough that you keep seeing it? Maybe wait a couple of months to exchange it again if its not bad. Hopefully quality control will be better soon. It will improve with enough returns country and or world wide
    I have to say, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Are people going into a totally dark room with a full-black screen, and seeing a speck of light leak at the boarders... or is there some real problem here that affects actual use?
    03-23-2011 12:45 AM
    I have to say, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Are people going into a totally dark room with a full-black screen, and seeing a speck of light leak at the boarders... or is there some real problem here that affects actual use?
    I know on mine in spots the light leak comes out almost a full inch off the bezel in areas. It's also on each corner and is very noticeable.
    SteveW928 likes this.
    03-25-2011 09:05 PM
    Both of mine are very noticeable when watching movies.
    03-25-2011 09:12 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD