View Poll Results: Does your iPad 2 have the light leak issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 58.82%
  • No

20 29.41%
  • Light leak? What's a light leak?

8 11.76%
    Just an update, I had the like leakage in one area and after today has been two weeks and tonight I just looked again and I don't see it anymore.
    03-26-2011 12:20 AM
    No light leaks here!
    03-26-2011 08:14 PM
    I know on mine in spots the light leak comes out almost a full inch off the bezel in areas. It's also on each corner and is very noticeable.
    Ok... yea, then I'd probably call it an issue and get it replaced. I was just curious how extensive the 'leaks' really were. At least it sounds like it isn't all that common (crosses fingers... as I'm hoping to get on in the next couple weeks).
    03-27-2011 01:17 AM
    Has anyone that had the light bleeding issue with their iPad 2 upgraded to 4.3.1? If so did this 'fix' the issue? Apple wont support me unless I upgrade to 4.3.1 and I'm pretty confident this wont correct this issue... thanks.
    03-30-2011 09:05 AM
    I still have minor light bleeding. I don't see how software can fix this lol
    03-30-2011 09:21 AM
    That's what I tried to explain to her... I would've just returned it but of course there was no stock. Ever.
    Hopefully this is something warranty can cover... Thanks.
    03-30-2011 09:42 AM
    It's a hardware issue
    03-30-2011 10:05 AM
    I had the same issue with the bleed, but I also noticed that since my upgrade the iPad2 was running really slow. I just took it to the store and they are replacing my iPad2 with a new one. They let me keep the other one until the new one comes in. Probably a few days.

iPad(which doesn't have the latest and greatest) was running apps and browsing the web faster than iPad2 running 4.3.1 sitting right next to each other.
    03-30-2011 11:26 AM
    I had the same issue with the bleed, but I also noticed that since my upgrade the iPad2 was running really slow. I just took it to the store and they are replacing my iPad2 with a new one. They let me keep the other one until the new one comes in. Probably a few days.

iPad(which doesn't have the latest and greatest) was running apps and browsing the web faster than iPad2 running 4.3.1 sitting right next to each other.
    Oh really they allowed you to do that? I should walk around to the apple store after work then...
    03-31-2011 01:02 PM
    Darn - I have some on the left side. Don't really notice it unless I am using an older iPhone app (at 1X) but did not really bother me until I tried a movie trailer. I might take mine back too - but I am waiting for more inventory to roll in. That and the fact I have already put a iCarbons back on it that I will lose if I do.
    03-31-2011 01:11 PM
    Yea I have some as well but it's not bad I can't notice it's only on the start up apple logo. But last night I placed my iPhone 4 on top of my iPad 2 and Iwhen I woke up there was a iPod nano? Hmmm..
    03-31-2011 02:11 PM
    My suggestion for those of you who have this issue is sit tight and wait a bit. I know someone in Cupertino and Apple is well aware there is a issue and they are trying to figure things out. You best bet is to call Apple and tell them you'd like to open a case and sometime in the future when the issue has been 100% resolved to get a replacement. Be sure to get a case number. There really is not point in swapping out the device now since it's more than likely to have the same issue at this time.
    SteveW928 likes this.
    03-31-2011 02:27 PM
    I had light leak mainly at the bottom of mine. Had it 5 days, sent to Apple for replacement, didn't get the replacement for 11 days and the light leak is 100% worse than the 1st one. I can see it on all four sides of the screen. I told a senior tech that I would be willing to wait a short period of time for them to get this resolved and they could send me a new one at that point. But the more I think about it, I didn't pay $600, to have to send it back, wait for a another one, get another bad one, send this one back and wait some more for hopefully a good unit. Chances are the longer I wait, they'd send me a refurb which is not what I paid for. Contacting them again today I think.
    03-31-2011 02:34 PM
    I had light leak mainly at the bottom of mine. Had it 5 days, sent to Apple for replacement, didn't get the replacement for 11 days and the light leak is 100% worse than the 1st one. I can see it on all four sides of the screen. I told a senior tech that I would be willing to wait a short period of time for them to get this resolved and they could send me a new one at that point. But the more I think about it, I didn't pay $600, to have to send it back, wait for a another one, get another bad one, send this one back and wait some more for hopefully a good unit. Chances are the longer I wait, they'd send me a refurb which is not what I paid for. Contacting them again today I think.
    Like I said, get it put in your notes and make sure to open a case and ask them to include that in your case. They know there is a issue here and will make it right for those of you with the issue.
    03-31-2011 02:36 PM
    Mine has a minor light leak along the bottom. It's only really visible in dark rooms when the screen is completely black (at 50% brightness). As it's very minor and I don't notice it in day to day usage (and I have a year to get it fixed), I'm in no rush to replace my iPad with one that could be much, much worse.
    03-31-2011 02:38 PM
    I got my 64gb wifi replacement today. This one is much better but slightly there still so I will keep this for a couple of months until apple correct the issue. No need to keep exchanging it that will only risk getting a replacement down the road. Apple keeps a record of how many times you swap your device. My suggestion just wait unless it's really bad then exchange it for less light bleed. Really no need to call for them to note it. They know the issue already and if you were to come back in months from now they will see your record exchange history. Just simply tell them you opted to wait problem solved. Genius has the best CS hands down.
    04-01-2011 05:05 AM
    Received my 32gb wifi yesterday. Light leaks in the corners. Only really noticeable with the black background as used in the Kindle for reading in the dark.
    04-01-2011 08:39 AM
    Sad to see such a high percentage on the poll.... However I dont think its that big of a deal. Still keeping this ipad 2
    04-01-2011 10:19 AM
    Is this an issue with both white and black iPads?
    04-06-2011 11:12 PM
    Yes. Please if anyone finally receive one with no leak let us now. We are waiting on the good batch to come.
    04-07-2011 12:55 AM
    My 16 gb black wifi has no visible leak that I can see. I turned the lights off and brightness to full and MAYBE see a tiny bit, or did I just want to?
    04-07-2011 10:11 AM
    Is this an issue with both white and black iPads?
    This issue effects both colors.
    04-07-2011 01:15 PM
    I received my 64 gb white ipad 2 replacement from the Apple Store and no light leaks at all. Only took about 5 days to come in and they let me keep my old one till it came in. The apple employee let us go in the employee bathroom to make sure there was no light leak before I left also.
    04-08-2011 07:01 PM
    Just returned my brand new 32GB 3G Black after I found this...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I could tell that the seal around that corner was not even glued properly, because if you press down on the glass it would contact the glue, and it would make a sticky pealing sound when you let go.
    Last edited by p2kart; 04-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    04-14-2011 08:27 PM
    Sorry to bring up an old topic guys but I'm a little frustrated. So I went to the apple store yesterday to have them look at my light leak issue. The iPad is my first iOS device, and I gotta admit, after hearing how great apple support is, I was a little surprised when the genius bar told me that the light leak is normal on iPad 2's and they won't replace or fix it, especially after knowing (from here and other sites) that it isn't normal, and that other people are getting replacements.

So what do I do now? I explained how I felt in the satisfaction survey they sent after my visit, but I'm afraid that'll go unnoticed. I'm also worried if I call support, they'll simply say since the genius bar said there is no issue, there's nothing they can do....

Any feedback/ideas? Thanks!
    04-19-2011 09:40 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD