HOW do you use your iPad 1 or 2?

millerke#IM

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Apps, Games, Utilities

The iPad 2 is my first iPad purchase. I am very happy with it. I use it for casual games, word processing (editing and starting from scratch), social networking and internet browsing.
I have a laptop and Blackberry smartphone....have barely touched them since my new edition!

rumsoft

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Evernote ..., Flipboard, and Crosswords are probably my three favorite apps. I don't think my husband realized he was unleashing a monster when he got me this.

If you like crossword puzzles on your iPad then you should check out CRUX Crosswords for iPad, if you haven't already. Send us an email at the address on our iTunes product page for a promo code! (we don't have enough posts yet to send/receive PM, or to post a URL or email address on TiPb)

FobBerry

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got given some money so decided to take the opportunity to buy an iPad 2 as I passed up the iPad 1. I originally had a 32GB White with 3G but decided that a 64GB would be more suited to my needs (you can never have enough memory!). I have the dreaded yellow screen but getting a replacement on Tuesday which hopefully will be to my standards!

I use mine for everything - I have hardly touched my laptop since buying my iPad. I have literally only used it to sync my iPad.

I use mine for web browsing, checking and sending emails, playing games (Tower Blocks HD, Scrabble), word processing with Pages, social networking (Facebook and Twitter). I will be syncing my music and photo's to it. I am also considering using a service like DropBox and also LogMeIn. Everyday I am looking for new ways to utilise my iPad and give myself a better user experience.

I am open to suggestions on new apps both productivity and gaming.

EDIT: I am now using my iPad 2 with DropBox and SplashTop which IMO gives me a better user experience :D

iPad 2 FTW!

Last edited:

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
my primary uses in list format:
? creativity [primarily drawing and video editing]
? reading [blogs, articles, e-books, news sites]
? social media marketing

and i also use it for online shopping, general looking up info [movie times, directions, weather]. surprisingly i rarely ever use the thing for games. i prefer gaming on the iphone/itouch.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a good image of the iPad2
Please... How is business use good while personal use isn't? :rolleyes:

In any case, why does "image" matter? Use whatever solutions you choose as they suit your needs. How another person uses something doesn't necessarily dictate how another uses it. A tablet has the versatility to be used in many ways no matter which particular tablet is selected.

Sadly, from my perspective, 84% of tablet owners bought them to "game".
How statistically relevant is your sample though? 84% of how many surveyed? How well do they actually represent the entire user base?

I don't begrudge anyone using their tablet as they best see fit but what bothers me about this useage knowledge, is that future manufacturers will see that and think "Oh! Screw business owners, we gotta gear our tablets to Game Boyz."
Why would they do that? Smart phone manufacturers don't overlook their business user base. Neither do computer manufacturers. It's not mutually exclusive.

I mean do you see anyone on the andriod and webOS forums trolling about apple?
Absolutely.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Most of my use is to mirror the time and billing app I use with iPhone, for Kindle format text and reference books, papers (NY Times, WS Journal). Messaging and calendar time are split between the iPad, phone and computer.

I did evaluate Xoom before getting the iPad 2 and the app I use for time and billing really sold the Apple platform.

zpithika

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently don't have the iPad but have an iPod touch and am getting the iPad 2 within a week. Before I made the decision to buy the iPad 2 I looked into what it would offer and so here is a list of how I am going to be using it.

- note takin in class with the pages app. Possibly recording lectures with a voice memo app.

- reading news (mainly tech news since I'm a geek at heart) with pulse app

- keeping track of my forums with the tapatalk app

- creating presentations with keynote

- accessing my laptop with remote desktop through the splashtop app

- light gaming

- for flash videos I want to watch I will use the skyfire web browser

- social networking

- video editing since I try to post some videos on YouTube. Plus me and my close friends love making videos just for fun.

Finally,
- I'll use it to connect to my computer and my music creation software as a MIDI controller through the touchOSC app. Me and my brother are just getting into producing and having a MIDI controller would help out greatly.

If u don't know, a MIDI controller is like a keyboard or pad that can be mapped to different sounds through the software on the computer.

Anyways, I hope this helps and I can't wait till I get my iPad 2!!! Long live the tablet market.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
After much contemplation and procrastination, I finally bought an iPad2 today. I will use it mostly for reading-emails, books (I use Kindle and Overdrive), newspapers, magazines and blogs as well as general web surfing. I will also be using it in my kitchen with the various cooking apps I already have on my iPhone. I found the iPhone screen size fine for most of my reading, but it wasn't great when cooking. In fact, I went with the plasic cover instead of the leather becauae it will spend so much time in the kitchen. I may use it to catch up on missed TV shows instead of watching them via DVR. The thing that was holding me back in purchasing one is that there is no way I NEED this device. Once I got over that and just admitted to myself it would be fun to have, I bit the bullet and made the purchase. I also thought I'd prefer a Nook/Kindle sized device, but am finding the thinner iPad2 completely manageable. I went with the 32G 3G Verizon-last one my Apple store had in stock today. I may let the kids play a game and watch a movie or two on it...we'll see ;)

Gunn Ray

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I use iPad only when doing yoga (e.g. while sitting in pose of lotos). It's impossible to use notebook when sitting in that pose.

When I'm not doing yoga, I prefer to use laptop - my eyes got used to screen at least 1m aside; iPad screen is too close to my eyes.

zpithika

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So I don't know if anyone goes on this thread anymore but just wanted to let you guys know that I finally got my iPad 2 last night. And I absolutely love it. Haha.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

tinytiger87

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
i am a substitute teacher with aspirations of becoming a full time teacher and I plan to use the ipad 2 to help me do that job better. Stuff like looking up mathematical formulas when students ask me something I don't know (since im not a math major lol) or using it as a sort of interactive textbook (specifically in science, since im also not a science major lol) It is also an extension of my MBP at home because I use dropbox for lots of things so I can pull them straight from there. Plus the kids (i sound like an old man and im only 24 lol), always enjoy the "ooooooooo shiny screen" and "omg its an ipad" factor of the whole thing lol

rprata

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was going to finish reading through the entire thread before I replied, but I figured I would start typing now and get it over with.

I've been an Apple user for at least 10 years, and I've worked in the IT business for 15. I got an iPad 1 last Fall. Besides the IT business, I'm also a photographer, and that's how I justified the iPad purchase; to act as a digital portfolio. Let's face it, the display is gorgeous, and carrying that with thousands of photos, and showing off photos that way, is a lot slicker than carrying around prints.

I immediately found tons of other uses for the device. So much more than I anticipated. Originally, I purchased a used WiFi-only version. Two weeks after that I decided I needed 3G, got my company to agree to pay for it, and I sold the WiFi version for what I paid for it, walked into an Apple store and purchased a brand-new 16GB 3G version.

I started using it for work, business and personal emails, work calendar and contacts, started storing all sorts of documents in DropBox, started using Evernote more, started using GoodReader to have people sign model releases on the fly (and sync to DropBox)... I used to carry either a 15" Macbook Pro or a ThinkPad T61W everywhere.. now I just carry the iPad.

I've started using it for Kindle books, Netflix, various games, Words With Friends, and some other games. I'm not big on the games, but when I do feel like playing some games, there are plenty of good ones on iOS.

Prior to the iPad, I'd NEVER have left home without a laptop when I was going out of town. I've gone out of town twice since I got the iPad, and not once did I miss the laptop.

Also, I do a LOT of cooking and baking. This is the relavant part.. I do a lot of BBQ, baking, etc. I used to look up recipes and print them out.. I would go to my kitchen and use the printed out recipe.. if I liked it, I'd shove it in my kitchen drawer to make again; if I didn't like it, more than likely I'd do the same. Now I look up recipes and save them to Evernote, and bring the iPad and dock into the kitchen. If I don't like it, I delete it. If I do, it stays in Evernote. No more paper.

The iPad has pretty much eliminated my Macbook Pro. I'm switching to an iMac 24" with GoToMyPC on the iPad.

On the business end (my "real" job) I use VPN, Exchange email, VNC and RDP to perform day-to-day Systems Admin tasks and other tasks related to work.

This thing has replaced not ONE but TWO laptops, and has added other ease to my life as well.

Just my $.02.

pal2014

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi just got iPad 2 last week, have hardly used PC since, email, the Internet, a small amount of gaming, my wife uses it for Facebook, I am hoping one of my children (grownup) get one then will use the Face Time app. Still finding new things to do, like this forum which I have just joined, it is very additive, because it is so handy and quick, no need to sit out of the way and fire up the PC, on your lap no problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice