Well I mostly use Apple's pages app for notes during class, and if I just have to jot something quick I use the notes app. I've tried out a few others like sundry notes and phatpad but I like pages the best.

I also like keynote if I have to make up a presentation, and adobe ideas if I have to draw diagrams or anything (then I take a screenshot of what I've drawn and put it in my pages document)

&& I just use the onscreen keyboard to type, using it right now in fact.

Edit: I've just started using dropbox as well
    Edit again: the elements app is pretty cool! if you do get it after installation restart your iPad right away before you open it, keeps it from crashing upon opening

Hope I helped!
    You helped a lot, lawls. Thanks for coming back and posting how you take your notes. At the Tablet Forum at amazon, there are a bunch of students who are looking for "tablets I can take class notes on"; that forum is generic and not specific to ANY tablet manufacturer. What's always recommended are some off brands I've never heard of that are really like drawing pads, not an iPad or Galaxy device. Good information you gave, regarding the actual app names.

What I've decided to do, regarding "Should I or Shouldn't I?" purchase any iPad along with my Galaxy, is to create a folder on my PC called "Apple Apps." In that, I sent links to myself of every single Apple app that I've read about and desire; so far I have three: The Recipe Box; The Elements; and a wicked cool app on dinosaurs from National Geographic, I believe. When I reach some yet undetermined number of Apple apps that will never appear on Android, then I'll know that an iPad is in my future. It will be interesting to see how fast...or slow...they accumulate in that folder. Oh, remembered a 4th app: iBirds, I think it's called. (and thanks for the heads up about The Elements crashing!)

Since I do NOT know anything about the Apple Store, if I download some Apple driver, is there a dedicated App Store that I can look in? Science and Cooking are my weaknesses and Android sucks at both, sadly.
    03-14-2011 08:58 PM
    You helped a lot, lawls. Thanks for coming back and posting how you take your notes. At the Tablet Forum at amazon, there are a bunch of students who are looking for "tablets I can take class notes on"; that forum is generic and not specific to ANY tablet manufacturer. What's always recommended are some off brands I've never heard of that are really like drawing pads, not an iPad or Galaxy device. Good information you gave, regarding the actual app names.

What I've decided to do, regarding "Should I or Shouldn't I?" purchase any iPad along with my Galaxy, is to create a folder on my PC called "Apple Apps." In that, I sent links to myself of every single Apple app that I've read about and desire; so far I have three: The Recipe Box; The Elements; and a wicked cool app on dinosaurs from National Geographic, I believe. When I reach some yet undetermined number of Apple apps that will never appear on Android, then I'll know that an iPad is in my future. It will be interesting to see how fast...or slow...they accumulate in that folder. Oh, remembered a 4th app: iBirds, I think it's called. (and thanks for the heads up about The Elements crashing!)

Since I do NOT know anything about the Apple Store, if I download some Apple driver, is there a dedicated App Store that I can look in? Science and Cooking are my weaknesses and Android sucks at both, sadly.
    Do you mean angry birds?
    And if you just go to iTunes, then iTunes store you can see all the apps available on iPad. You can even add some to a wish list so you can see the ones you like when you're deciding
    03-14-2011 09:28 PM
    lawls: Nope. Not Angry Birds, the game. iBird is a Birding Guide that is supposed to be beyond brilliant for people who bird. LOL

And thanks for the heads up about going to the iTunes store. The fact that they have a Wish List makes it even nicer! It helps, from the various posts in this thread, to know that many posters have other products other than Apple so they are Equal Opportunity Shoppers. I suppose if I buy the cheapest iPad for home use, I won't have to do too much justification. ~snicker~
    03-14-2011 10:31 PM
    I had a hard time justifying an iPad and only purchased my first gen last week when I could get a good deal. My main app is iScore for baseball. I kept all of my son's games on the same app on my iPhone last year but I always had to have my glasses with me. Keeping score on the iPad is going to be fantastic! Since he plays 80+ games a season my eyes are going to love it. My son likes the games and Garage Band and it's so much handier for email and surfing than my laptop. Mine just has wireless, so I tether off my iPhone if I'm in an area without a hotspot.
    Cahow likes this.
    03-15-2011 05:34 PM
    Thanks, aimon! What is so nice about the honest responses in this thread is that when I accumulate enough of them, I plan on copying ALL the uses that you've shared with me, and starting an iPad Use thread at that cooking site. Money is NOT the issue with that crowd; geeze, they're always going on cruises and half of them have second homes. It's "Old Dog/New Trick" syndrome; they want to be convinced that a new piece of technology can really improve their life.

The Kindle is the only device that is making headway over there. We have an extremely active Book Club and many members have difficulty reading, even with glasses. They also live in areas with only one library or abroad, and can't get the books that are recommended. So, having the Kindle to enlarge the type and download the latest book has become a very good sales point.

Many of them have grandchildren so anything to do with kids will also be a big sales point, like the iScore app that aimon suggested.

LOVE how creative everyone is with how they are using their iPads. Very personal, how they are adapting it to their lifestyle and far less gaming than the news articles imply.
    03-15-2011 06:11 PM
    i use it at work with machinist apps.
    Cahow likes this.
    03-16-2011 09:34 AM
    I've seen that app, ancoprecision. Fierce specs! Thanks for joining in on this thread.
    03-16-2011 10:19 AM
    I use mine for both entertainment and business including Internet, youtube, movies, books, games and photos! Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    04-13-2011 01:48 AM
    I use mine for both entertainment and business including Internet, youtube, movies, books, games and photos! Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Catherineluo, for adding to this topic. Google did a Q & A from all tablet users, to see how THEY were using their devices. Sadly, from my perspective, 84% of tablet owners bought them to "game". I don't begrudge anyone using their tablet as they best see fit but what bothers me about this useage knowledge, is that future manufacturers will see that and think "Oh! Screw business owners, we gotta gear our tablets to Game Boyz."

What I find odd is despite the millions of iPads sold and the so-so numbers for the Galaxy tablet (which I own) I've never seen either of them "out in public". When I go to client's or sales reps with my tablet, people get google-eyed and begin to drool, just seeing a tablet in real life. So, I guess these 84% gamers never leave the house. LOL

Glad to hear that there's a few of us, pushing the envelope, and using this mega-tool (the tablet) for pleasure AND business! Last week, I upgraded 4 accounts proposals on the tablet and netted myself a $3,000.00 bonus! How's THAT for a business tool? Couldn't have done it without the use of my tablet, either; paid for itself 4 fold.
    04-16-2011 09:26 AM
    I use it for the following:
    -surf the web
    -reference- for work I have a lot of pdf files, books in pdf files. Instead of carrying the amazon forest in my backpack, I have my iPad
    -eReader- iBooks blows, Kindle rocks
    -WSJ subscription
    -I have some games on it, but nothing too significant

I haven't been using it as much since I got my new 13" macbook pro... but that's because it's still a new gadget.
    04-16-2011 04:18 PM
    News, tv guide, weather, Facebook, Videos, games
    04-17-2011 11:45 AM
    My iPad which is the WiFi version only serves me as YouTube/BBC iPlayer TV and I'm emailing and surfing the web on it mostly. My laptop is seldomly used as I don't use any applications at the moment that would require my laptop apart from test driving new Linux distributions.

So it's purely for home and I'm happy with it. Using the iPad now and no plans of upgrading.
    04-17-2011 01:52 PM
    GPS is the killer app for sailors. Don't need to be in cellular range to get GPS reception. The app called iNavx is awesome. Download NOAA charts prior to leaving on a voyage and the iPad becomes a handheld chart plotter.

Put the iPad in a sealed, clear ziplock bag (the touch screen works fine thru the plastic) and you're good to go anywhere rain or shine.

But remember...you don't get GPS with a wi-fi only iPad.
    04-17-2011 03:13 PM
    I use it as a travel computer (with stand and bluetooth keyboard). Much easier to travel with than a notebook.

I use it as an entertainment device, around the house - surf the web, watch a movie. play a game.

I use it is a communications device - check email and the various social networks like twitter and facebook.

I use it as an e-reader for comic books. Got most of my collections in digital format.

And, of course, I use it to review iPad apps.

Chris
    04-17-2011 04:16 PM
    I would never dream of using a different tablet than my iPad 2. The UI and ease of use are so far ahead of what other companies are doing. I tend to use my iPad 2 far more than my iPhone 4 and MB Pro, whether gaming, using facetime, surfing the web, twitter, or the countless apps that are optimized for the iPad. I think its a tired argument to say that apple markets the iPad as a device "for fun" only and 99% of people I encounter in seattle(which is a big microsoft and amazon town obviously) would only purchase a iPad because they see that apple is leaps and bounds ahead of any other tablet. I mean do you see anyone on the andriod and webOS forums trolling about apple?
    04-17-2011 06:16 PM
    The iPad 2 is my first iPad purchase. I am very happy with it. I use it for casual games, word processing (editing and starting from scratch), social networking and internet browsing.
    I have a laptop and Blackberry smartphone....have barely touched them since my new edition!
    04-18-2011 12:38 AM
    I bought the ipad2, I mostly use it Surf the web, check Email, keep up with the news, watch videos, play games, read books, take notes, and listen to music.
    04-18-2011 05:50 AM
    i use it for taking notes at class.
    04-18-2011 10:15 AM
    plus ofcs for standard thing - mail, facebook, games
    04-18-2011 10:16 AM
    Evernote ..., Flipboard, and Crosswords are probably my three favorite apps. I don't think my husband realized he was unleashing a monster when he got me this.
    If you like crossword puzzles on your iPad then you should check out CRUX Crosswords for iPad, if you haven't already. Send us an email at the address on our iTunes product page for a promo code! (we don't have enough posts yet to send/receive PM, or to post a URL or email address on TiPb)
    05-07-2011 09:35 PM
    I use it for taking meeting notes at work, word processing, minor gaming, music...
    05-08-2011 03:13 AM
    I got given some money so decided to take the opportunity to buy an iPad 2 as I passed up the iPad 1. I originally had a 32GB White with 3G but decided that a 64GB would be more suited to my needs (you can never have enough memory!). I have the dreaded yellow screen but getting a replacement on Tuesday which hopefully will be to my standards!

I use mine for everything - I have hardly touched my laptop since buying my iPad. I have literally only used it to sync my iPad.

I use mine for web browsing, checking and sending emails, playing games (Tower Blocks HD, Scrabble), word processing with Pages, social networking (Facebook and Twitter). I will be syncing my music and photo's to it. I am also considering using a service like DropBox and also LogMeIn. Everyday I am looking for new ways to utilise my iPad and give myself a better user experience.

I am open to suggestions on new apps both productivity and gaming.

EDIT: I am now using my iPad 2 with DropBox and SplashTop which IMO gives me a better user experience

iPad 2 FTW!
    Last edited by msgrumpystripes; 05-15-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    05-08-2011 09:17 AM
    my primary uses in list format:
    creativity [primarily drawing and video editing]
    reading [blogs, articles, e-books, news sites]
    social media marketing

and i also use it for online shopping, general looking up info [movie times, directions, weather]. surprisingly i rarely ever use the thing for games. i prefer gaming on the iphone/itouch.
    05-08-2011 06:23 PM
    This isn't a good image of the iPad2
    Please... How is business use good while personal use isn't?

In any case, why does "image" matter? Use whatever solutions you choose as they suit your needs. How another person uses something doesn't necessarily dictate how another uses it. A tablet has the versatility to be used in many ways no matter which particular tablet is selected.

Sadly, from my perspective, 84% of tablet owners bought them to "game".
    How statistically relevant is your sample though? 84% of how many surveyed? How well do they actually represent the entire user base?

I don't begrudge anyone using their tablet as they best see fit but what bothers me about this useage knowledge, is that future manufacturers will see that and think "Oh! Screw business owners, we gotta gear our tablets to Game Boyz."
    Why would they do that? Smart phone manufacturers don't overlook their business user base. Neither do computer manufacturers. It's not mutually exclusive.

I mean do you see anyone on the andriod and webOS forums trolling about apple?
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by briareus; 05-10-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    05-10-2011 10:35 PM
    Most of my use is to mirror the time and billing app I use with iPhone, for Kindle format text and reference books, papers (NY Times, WS Journal). Messaging and calendar time are split between the iPad, phone and computer.

I did evaluate Xoom before getting the iPad 2 and the app I use for time and billing really sold the Apple platform.
    05-10-2011 10:55 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD