iPad 2 maps issue

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm connected to wifi and maps "cant determine my location"
Is it 3G iPad, or wifi only?

If it's wifi only, maps will only know where you are because your ip address is stored in a database with some approximate coordinates. Wifi iPads only have 'assisted' GPS capabilities - by way of known coordinates of wifi locations.

You can get true, autonomous GPS capabilities via bluetooth GPS receivers - a few are capable of connecting to iPads... or, a BadElf GPS - available on Amazon.com

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it 3G iPad, or wifi only?

If it's wifi only, maps will only know where you are because your ip address is stored in a database with some approximate coordinates. Wifi iPads only have 'assisted' GPS capabilities - by way of known coordinates of wifi locations.

You can get true, autonomous GPS capabilities via bluetooth GPS receivers - a few are capable of connecting to iPads... or, a BadElf GPS - available on Amazon.com

Last I checked, there's no AGPS in the wifi model. Just ip check, not AGPS unless that changed with iPad 2

Reactions: anon(52425)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked, there's no AGPS in the wifi model. Just ip check, not AGPS unless that changed with iPad 2

Wifi models have "assisted" GPS as I said above. Assisted by means of associating an ip address to a known location. I also explained how to get a wifi iPad true, autonomous GPS above as well.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wifi models have "assisted" GPS as I said above. Assisted by means of associating an ip address to a known location. I also explained how to get a wifi iPad true, autonomous GPS above as well.

You sure, 'cuz if it had GPS how come I couldn't use my NAVIGON app on it?

CNET is wrong too? 'cuz they have GPS as a top 5 missing from the wifi iPad??
Five things the iPad is missing | Crave - CNET

This APPLE.com thread in support also claims no GPS in the Wifi model?
Apple - Support - Discussions - Does iPad 2 WiFi Really Have No GPS??? ...

Guess ZDNet was wrong too, they say no GPS

And that's technically not assisted GPS, AGPS uses cellular triangualtion. Amongst other things....I guess I am wrong and retarded, guess I was a dummy for getting the 3G model with GPS when I could've got the wifi one...
Apple iPad: Does it have 'real' GPS? (updated: yes and no) | ZDNet

And the awesome idea of lugging around a bluetooth gps really is what we all had in mind when we desired an all in on device....

I think you're wrong unless I misread every link ever on the wifi iPad model. I guess my friends and I are idiots, we bought the 3G model 'cuz it had GPS. The wifi didn't, wonder if Apple will take ours back, considering we can get GPS in the wifi model....I'd love to use NAVIGON on just a wifi unit at $130 less...oh well

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You assume I'm using AGPS and "assisted" GPS synonymously. I'm not. Hence my use of "assisted" GPS.

You can use Navigon on a wifi iPad - with an external GPS source.

I am doing that. Go to Amazon - search "BadElf".

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Again though, respond to the argument, using a Bluetooth GPS doesn't mean the wifi has GPS, it means you need to rely on something else to get GPS. Thats not assisted GPS bro....sorry...try again.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
You assume I'm using AGPS and "assisted" GPS synonymously. I'm not. Hence my use of "assisted" GPS.

Argh you edited! Still bogus, as you need to carry around another device, the WIFI has no GPS in it, period. 3G only.....carrying around a bluetooth attachment is not gps, thats fugazi.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Go look at the BadElf. Smaller than an a typical car keyfob.

And I never said the wifi had built-in GPS. You assume I did. I shared how a wifi iPad could be made to be an autonomous GPS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73