iPad 2 not charging from computer

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I guess the new battery is indeed different. I have a 24-inch iMac and my iPad 2 syncs to it without a problem, but it displays the "not charging" legend at the top-right. It does charge from the AC outlet, though.

Is my iPad 2 acting out or are other people experiencing the same "issue"? (it's not really an issue for me, but I understand it can be an issue for others).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
None of the iPads charge (at all or at least very well) due to the power rating... the power rating on the iPad charger is 10W, vs 5W for the iPhone and iPod... the iPad uses battery/power faster than a PC USB port can charge it...

Reactions: jaimex99

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I was aware of the fact that some older computers would not charge the first iPad. My iMac does provide enough power for the original iPad, but it does not provide enough power for the iPad 2.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Ok, weird update, I left the iPad 2 connected, even if not charging, and now it is charging. I don't know what made it not charge earlier.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
it charges because the screen is off. This is nothing abnormal, my 2010 MBP displays the not charging when my iPad 1 is connected. It still charges just much slower. If you power it off while it's connected or put it to sleep it will charge much faster because the screen is not drawing power.

Reactions: jaimex99

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
it charges because the screen is off. This is nothing abnormal, my 2010 MBP displays the not charging when my iPad 1 is connected. It still charges just much slower. If you power it off while it's connected or put it to sleep it will charge much faster because the screen is not drawing power.

That makes a lot of sense.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I am lucky indeed, and now I think it is silly that I was sort of complaining. I was just confused why it wouldn't charge. I'm glad to see that it is charging now.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing silly in a question man. I'm sure alot of other people new to the device might come here and wonder the same thing, hell I did on my iPad 1. So it's all good.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Another update. My iPad 2 is, again, not charging from mi 24-inch iMac. I don't know that may be going on, but I truly do not mind. I just wanted to report it in case others were having the same issue.

AppleFan

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe slightly off-topic, but is it true the iPad 2 battery lasts less than that of the first generation iPad? is there a significan change?

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
The battery lasts about the same. I haven't noticed a significant difference. It seems that the 10 hours that Apple claims the battery lasts were actually a bit more for the first generation iPad, and this one seems to give you just a few more minutes over the 10-hour threshold.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I tried different USB ports. The iPad charges when it feels like it. I don't mind it too much since I do not charge it primarily from my computer, but I opened the thread in case mine wasn't the only case. It may only be my iPad 2 and my 24-inch iMac (I know other older macs do not provide enough power, but mine did not have those issues with the original iPad, and it is obvious that it CAN charge my iPad because it does sometimes).

ballajb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
the good thing is though that the battery last pretty long. But i didnt notice until today that it didnt charge when i had it hooked to the computer

FastNOC

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
i realize this topic is old, but i wanted to clear something up.

Although the iPad says 'not charging' it IS in fact charging if it's plugged into a powered USB slot. if you get the app "device inspector" it shows this.

From device inspector click the 'battery' tab.

Here's photo showing the iPad saying 'not charging' but the device manager showing it IS charging.

i52.tinypic.com/35ddwed.jpg

ugh, can't post pics... copy/paste that url above into your browser

And from 20% mine charged to 100 overnight

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2