Official standing in line for iPad 2 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeVanMac

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I went over to Best Buy at 4 and the line was around the side of the building. They handed out the tickets and by the time they got to me they were sold out. So around 6 I headed over to Target. The Target guy said they were sold out. I figured I wasn't getting an iPad today. On my back to the car I decided to give Walmart a call. The guy there said they only had 16GB white ones left. I rushed over and got the last one. Winning!!

dc73pd

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Waste of time

went to my local apple store, San Mateo - Hillsdale, waited in line for over 3 hours. saw people buying ipads, some more than 1. After a while of the line moving they told us they were sold out but would help us order on line. if I wanted to order it online I would have and wouldnt have wasted 3 hours standing around. They should have vouchered people for the number of ipads they had in stock and told the rest of the people they were sold out for the day. I know the argument is that what if people dont buy the ones they vouchered for well then you have extra stock to sell to people, duh!!!! bad business practice in my view.... major fail Apple!!!

also should have limited sales to 1 per person, like they did with iphone....
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
No luck

Waited in line at the Columbia, MD Apple store from about 2 p.m. Probably about 150 people ahead of me, at least 250 behind... I had to leave at 5:30 p.m. to get to work, so knew it would be a long shot. Had to leave before getting into the store. But a very nice guy offered to buy one for me, and we'd meet up later. Unfortunately he texted me later to say that by the time he got in the store, all the ATT 3G iPads were sold out.

Beyond frustrated. I sold my iPad to a friend this morning, so that I could afford to get an iPad 2. So now I have neither. No smartphone either. Ugh. I guess I'll be calling around tomorrow, just in case. :mad::(

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
went to my local apple store, San Mateo - Hillsdale, waited in line for over 3 hours. saw people buying ipads, some more than 1. After a while of the line moving they told us they were sold out but would help us order on line. if I wanted to order it online I would have and wouldnt have wasted 3 hours standing around. They should have vouchered people for the number of ipads they had in stock and told the rest of the people they were sold out for the day. I know the argument is that what if people dont buy the ones they vouchered for well then you have extra stock to sell to people, duh!!!! bad business practice in my view.... major fail Apple!!!

I understand your frustration... my sister-in-law got two - one for her and one for me... apparently that Apple store did limit customers to 2 iPads... small consolation, I know, but at least folks weren't allowed to buy a load of them.

dandbj13

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I was first in line at the Apple Store Summit in Birmingham, AL, and was interviewed twice by the local news. I started the line at 8:30 in the morning. The line was approaching 300 strong by the time the store opened. What a rush. :)

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

My friend works at the Hillsdale store ... I will pass along your story.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Pretty frustrating day if you ask me. I wanted 2 a 16gb wifi and a wifi 3G. I ended up with a 16gb black.
In Denver, best buys had like 10-15 only the 3G 64gb model, walmart the 64gb model and target the 64gb model.
Apple store at flatirons ran out in 40min and I only got one at the Boulder Store cause I knew a guy that was 2nd in line.
It wasn't cool to be 300th in line and you see some guy walking away with 3 or 4 iPads.

Does apple get shipments on weekends? I may check tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kainz15

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I had an interesting day getting my iPad 2. First, a group of friends and I went to Wal-Mart around 4PM only to find 4 iPad 2's with no line, but they only had 2 white and 2 black 64 GB WiFi only, so we decided to go to Best Buy. We got to Best Buy around 4:20 and were about 20th in line, waited until 4:30 and an employee came out saying they only had 15, also only WiFi. Again, out of luck. On our way back we decided to maybe just settle for the Wal-Mart ones, but we thought we should call the local Target. They said they didn't have any in stock, their shipment didn't come but check back in the morning. We ended up getting one at Wal-Mart, still no line at 4:50. After leaving we decided to go ask the people at Target in person what tome the shipment was coming in tomorrow morning to see if we could get the WiFi + 3G versions. As we walked back to the electronics section they happened to be unboxing their only shipment of 5 iPad 2's!! So obviously, no line again! We ended up buying all 5 between the 4 of us.. Pretty odd but eventually successful day!

duff2481

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Waited for 3 hours at Twelve Oaks, Novi Mi

I left work and was in line by 4:25. There were probably 450 people waiting in line and there might have been 125 behind me. They too ran out of 3G iPads or so they said. When we got close enough they were starting to take rough estimates on what you wanted and they had a handful of of them. Mostly Verizon at that. I could have cared less as I was not interested. I ended up with the white 32gb and am very impressed thus far. The daily looks to be a great newspaper and can't wait to load all kinds of apps. In total start to finish it took me about 3:30 hours. They were extremely nice and as always helpful. I will say I couldn't believe the amount of people in the secondary line that were there for things like accessories and hardware. Wouldn't you think that picking another day but a launch day would be a brighter idea?? Apparently not for some of these people. I did call our target in west Livonia and they only had 5, 4 spoken for at about 4:45. Also called the best buy across the street and they didn't say how many they had but that they too were spoken for.

bwyman74

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems like, in Atlanta at least, that all Targets and Bestbuys only received 5 units. I arrived about 3:15 to a line of 6 people and luckily one was a couple only purchasing one, and the last guy, lucky number 5 didn't want a 64gb unit, which is all this Target had. I originally wanted a 16 or 32 max myself, but I figured it was meant to be. So after a 90 minute wait at an in town Atlanta Target and I walked away with the last of 5 ipads. :). I wouldn't have gone to apple store even if there where a hundred bucks off, the insanity there just isn't worth it to me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems like, in Atlanta at least, that all Targets and Bestbuys only received 5 units. I arrived about 3:15 to a line of 6 people and luckily one was a couple only purchasing one, and the last guy, lucky number 5 didn't want a 64gb unit, which is all this Target had. I originally wanted a 16 or 32 max myself, but I figured it was meant to be. So after a 90 minute wait at an in town Atlanta Target and I walked away with the last of 5 ipads. :). I wouldn't have gone to apple store even if there where a hundred bucks off, the insanity there just isn't worth it to me.

I was at my local Apple store for the iPhone4 launch... I would never call it "insanity". It was really a pretty cool experience... people actually being friendly, celebrating another hunk of Apple technology... and the employees were way cool... passing out panera bread for breakfast, smart water for the thirsty... and the cheering as we entered the store... definitely a classy experience, at least IMHO. My sister-in-law was there for the iPad2 launch and said the same thing - great time with cool people.

SciTeach3

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Great Customer Service at Apple Store

I was one of those determined people to wait in line and get my iPad 2 yesterday. I could not get to the Scottsdale, Az store until 4:00 which made me rough #250 in line but I did not give up hope.

But while I waited in line for over 2 and half hours, I was so impressed with the Apple Store customer service. They had employees working the line the whole time to make sure we were taken care of. As you see in my pic, they even handed out Apple umbrellas to those of use on the sunny side of the building and we had our fill of Gatorade, water and ice tea.

Well by the time I got my 32Gb, black iPad, there were not too many people behind me that were as lucky. Persistence and positive thinking definitely paid off!

bwyman74

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I was at my local Apple store for the iPhone4 launch... I would never call it "insanity". It was really a pretty cool experience... people actually being friendly, celebrating another hunk of Apple technology... and the employees were way cool... passing out panera bread for breakfast, smart water for the thirsty... and the cheering as we entered the store... definitely a classy experience, at least IMHO. My sister-in-law was there for the iPad2 launch and said the same thing - great time with cool people.

Did you miss out on the part where I said I live in Atlanta?

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was one of those determined people to wait in line and get my iPad 2 yesterday. I could not get to the Scottsdale, Az store until 4:00 which made me rough #250 in line but I did not give up hope.

But while I waited in line for over 2 and half hours, I was so impressed with the Apple Store customer service. They had employees working the line the whole time to make sure we were taken care of. As you see in my pic, they even handed out Apple umbrellas to those of use on the sunny side of the building and we had our fill of Gatorade, water and ice tea.

Well by the time I got my 32Gb, black iPad, there were not too many people behind me that were as lucky. Persistence and positive thinking definitely paid off!

Nice, free Apple umbrellas. You're lucky with your line placement. I got in line at the Cincinnati Apple store at 2:00 pm and I was about 250 deep. By the time 5:00 pm rolled around, there was a massive line that looked to be about 500 deep.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jesus, what's with the sudden influx of these spamming losers? Seems likes it's out of control. Who are these people

A. It's not sudden. Surprised you just noticed them.
B. In the time it took you to comment on it, you could have hit the report button in the upper right hand corner of the post. We can't read every thread, and depend on our forum members to let us know about spam so we can remove it.

Reactions: Fausty82

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Do apple stores get shipments in daily? Just trying to figure out if I should go and wait in line tomorrow morning for my 16gb iPad 2 in white and a att 3G model.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Do apple stores get shipments in daily? Just trying to figure out if I should go and wait in line tomorrow morning for my 16gb iPad 2 in white and a att 3G model.

I think only 2 or 3 times a week. I heard stores are expecting shipments Monday for iPad 2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal