Going to surprise wife with Ipad 2. Most of time will be able to use wi-fi. Aside from access to internet where no wi-fi, what will she be missing out on?
    03-10-2011 10:58 AM
    If wifi isn't available and without 3g she wont be able to use maps, or any apps that require an internet connection.
    03-10-2011 07:37 PM
    The only difference is no 3G and no GPS. So you wouldn't be able to use any GPS apps (in normal conditions) with no internet connection.
    03-10-2011 08:36 PM
    GPS applications.

I have owned 2 iPad first gens. My first was a 3G and I loved the 3G built in. I ended up selling it and later on got a wifi only. I DEEPLY regretted not spending the extra and getting the 3G again. It is SO nice to have the 3G service when wifi isnt available. I can think of MANY MANY occations that I have my wifi only iPad and there was no wifi. It was so annoying.

And then I can think of having the 3G when there was no wifi available and it wasnt a problem. Started up the 3G service right from the device. Such a nice convenience.
    03-10-2011 09:42 PM
    everyone has their own applications for use of the ipad but ill be teathering with my i4 + mywi ondemand. Ill just use my iphone for gps apps.
    03-10-2011 09:49 PM
    if you use mywi and a wifi only iPad you can use the Maps to show navigation routes?
    03-10-2011 11:10 PM
    if you use mywi and a wifi only iPad you can use the Maps to show navigation routes?
    Depends -
    As you know, 3G iPad uses A-GPS which uses a database of cell-tower locations to get a very rough fix, which makes finding the real satellite fix much faster.

Wifi only iPad uses skyhook, which triangulates from a database of known wifi base station locations. This is very accurate if you're in a densely populated city with lots of wifi base stations around. Accuracy is through pings to three base stations and depending on how it takes to get a response from each triangulates your position. Work well but DOA in less populated area.

Based on that, I wouldn't count on the mifi - bouncing from spot to spot for accuracy.

I wish you all well in HI....I'm hearing there's a chance of strong wave from the earthquake heading your way.
    03-11-2011 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD