I am about to buy an iPad2 (if there are any left) and don't know what strategy I should take:

• 1. Wifi only
    • 2. Wifi plus a Mifi subscription from ATT or VZ
    • 3. Wifi + 3G model

Don't know if I should do ATT or VZ in Philly with Mifi?

Don't know which 3G iPad VZ or ATT?

Don't know how much data I might be using and which package to buy?

The new hotspot plan from my iPhone sounds interesting which I can then use with my iPad but I'm not sure how this new service would work.

I will likely be a moderate user of the 3G service each month and will definitely not be my primary device. The idea of Mifi is interesting since I can use it with my netbook or laptop when I travel.

Thanks for all your input.

Matt
    03-08-2011 11:08 AM
    What kind of phone do you use? If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can tether for free or a small one time fee and make your device a wifi hotspot. My iPhone is my wifi hotspot for free by jailbreak.

Personally, I would never pay those prices for MiFi or to the carrier for mobile hotspot. But if you don't mind paying, I would say do the mobile hotspot over mifi. No sense in paying a lot more money and sign a contract when you have a device that does what you would need the Mifi for. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-08-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    03-08-2011 12:08 PM
    I use an iPhone 4. I assume you are talking about jailbreaking my phone? I would be happy to pay a small one time fee. And I am not opposed to jailbreaking but have never done it before.

With 4.3 coming how far is jailbreaking going to be for that? Does it matter to me?

I would like to hear more about the "free" option of using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot. Which jailbreak solution should I use?

I tried jailbreaking 2 years ago and found it be a pain.
    03-08-2011 12:23 PM
    Given that you travel with a netbook and laptop then I believe a 4G Mifi would be a very good option for you.
    03-08-2011 12:26 PM
    I use an iPhone 4. I assume you are talking about jailbreaking my phone? I would be happy to pay a small one time fee. And I am not opposed to jailbreaking but have never done it before.

With 4.3 coming how far is jailbreaking going to be for that? Does it matter to me?

I would like to hear more about the "free" option of using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot. Which jailbreak solution should I use?

I tried jailbreaking 2 years ago and found it be a pain.
    I used the green poison jailbreak and it takes like 2 minutes. Just hook your phone up to the computer and follow the instructions. After jailbreak there is PDA net and MyWifi. Right now there is a free edition of PDA net (that I'm currently using that works fine) and MyWifi is trial period and then I think it's 15 bucks one time payment and good to go.

If you want to jailbreak, I wouldn't upgrade to 4.3 until there is a jailbreak available. Besides mobile hotspot there isn't a big reason to update to 4.3 especially if you are looking to jailbreak and tether at a low cost.

Do a google search for greenpoison jailbreak, or look in the jailbreak section of the forum to get all the info you need.
    03-08-2011 12:41 PM
    Greenpoison here I come.
    03-08-2011 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD