Syncing device to two computers

sandman369

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I would like to sync my iPad to my office computer but am afraid that my data will be overwritten when syncing to a second computer. I have my device synced and backed up to my home computer. Any thoughts?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I would like to sync my iPad to my office computer but am afraid that my data will be overwritten when syncing to a second computer. I have my device synced and backed up to my home computer. Any thoughts?
Not enough data. What do you mean by "sync?" To what?

If you are talking about iTunes, I do not think that it is an issue. iTunes is pretty good about distinguishing between accounts, on the one hand, and devices, on the other.

However, before you do anything, wait for a response from Alli.

sandman369

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I mean that my iPad is synced to my iMac at home. If I load iTunes on my office PC and then sync my iPad, will my device be overwritten and blanked out?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I mean that my iPad is synced to my iMac at home. If I load iTunes on my office PC and then sync my iPad, will my device be overwritten and blanked out?

No. However, just to be on the safe side, back it up to your iTunes at home first. Then you can always restore it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes the device will be wiped if you try to sync. You have a couple of choices you can copy the iTunes folder from your home computer to the same location on your work computer. The folder is in My Music and should be called iTunes Music or just iTunes. When you sync it will either just sync because your ID is stored in the iTunes folder. You can also sync different things on each computer that will also work. So in iTunes if you set contacts to sync with your home PC you would uncheck it at work. I think however you want to copy the iTunes folder it will be the easier option.

spareshoota

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
only keep your iPad synced to your office computer instead of both. easier to do w/ music, movies, videos if you keep them on external hard drive and bring that with you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2