If the iPad 2 lacks AutoFocus this is a bigger deal than you think.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
(Disclaimer: I'm buying 2 iPads next week. So this rant is based more on confusion on Apples decisions than any sort of "hate")

Not only does the iPad 2 have the worst cameras in todays market, it also lacks auto-focus? This is actually a bigger deal than most people realize.

The iPad 2 cameras are .69MP Front/1MP Back which is oddly outdated. (Even the original 2007 iPhone had a 2MP camera) But the bigger problem beyond the low resolution is the lack of Auto-Focus. Yes, I've heard all the excuses about how "Its too awkward to take a picture anyway" but the defenders are missing the big picture. Cameras are not only for photographing people.

The autofocus on the iPhone 4 have opened up a ton of apps that simply cannot be ported to the iPad 2 because of the cheap camera we get.

- Google Translate (Take pic, google translates to another language)
- Banking Apps (In-App Check deposit requires auto-focus for clear scan)
- QR Codes (Those square barcodes links are convenient and popular)
- Barcodes (Price checking isn't only for when youre at Walmart)
- Page Scanners (This isn't only for spy movies anymore)
- HDMI Output (Low-Res on iPad is okay, but on your 60" HDTV its terrible)

And lets not forget iMovie. People claim that we should "Use a real camera if you want a real picture", but what then they are missing the point of the entire iMovie/Garage Band presentation. The iPad is now a MEDIA CREATION device so theres an imbalance between the high quality software and the low quality hardware.

Sorry for those offended by this rant but I think it should be understandable as to why some people may not dismiss the camera as simply an add-on gimmick. Cameras are useful IF implemented properly. And unfortunately Apple chose not to care.

Reactions: cardfan

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The cameras may work better than their specs look on paper. Even if Apple put a 8 MP camera on the iPad 2, it doesn't mean it would be a fantastic camera. I had an HTC Inspire with an 8 MP camera and it didn't take the best pictures in the world.

Megapixels are only one part of the equation.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The cameras may work better than their specs look on paper. Even if Apple put a 8 MP camera on the iPad 2, it doesn't mean it would be a fantastic camera. I had an HTC Inspire with an 8 MP camera and it didn't take the best pictures in the world.
Thats true and there's always that possibility. But from what it seems then they put the same old iPod Touch camera in. And as a Touch owner and long time Apple lover then I have to say that the Touch photos are the first time I'd ever felt too embarassed to brag "This was made on an Apple".

SteveW928

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to agree. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the rear camera, other than for maybe taking a quick snap-shot to put up on Facebook or something like that. No matter how good the processing and such, 1MP just isn't enough to do any of the 'scanning' type stuff that would be so useful to do with the iPad.

That said, it won't stop me from getting one. I mainly wanted the front camera for video conferencing (I assume it's pretty similar to the camera in a MacBook or MacBook Pro, which has worked well enough). I'm just bummed that the rear camera is pretty much just a spec line item, but not that useful as a tool... when it could have been.

I suppose the iPad 3 will have a better camera in it. They probably couldn't get the iPhone4 camera in the iPad, so will have to find some new sensor to fit the design.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
No matter how good the processing and such, 1MP just isn't enough to do any of the 'scanning' type stuff that would be so useful to do with the iPad.
Actually, 1MP isnt ideal but with AutoFocus it is enough for the "scanning" stuff since docs and text are usually converted to black and white. But this all depends on the autofocus. And it stinks because Ive used phones with autofocus and storing documents in evernote is an amazing productivity tool. So it doesnt make sense not to have that feature on the iPad.

That said, it won't stop me from getting one. I mainly wanted the front camera for video conferencing (I assume it's pretty similar to the camera in a MacBook or MacBook Pro, which has worked well enough).
My problem chatting is that Facetime HD should have been more accurately called Facetime VGA because the Face camera is only 640x480. I have a touch and it looks okay there, but to the computer user on the other end then 640x480 stretched on a monitor is far from "HD". In my case, I get to see every wrinkle on moms face but the baby she sees on her big monitor is a grainy mess.

Last edited:

aimetti

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Personally im not buying it for a camera anyways. I can see why some people would be upset but my iphone 4 will be on me where ever i go w/ my ipad so ill just use that.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
According to CNET, both cameras are for video only so no still pictures can be taken. This is just like the iPod nano with a camera. In all honestly, who would even consider taking a picture with an iPad, it's not practical especially since I know I'm never that far from my iPhone. Plus it would look ridicules.

Livett

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple should just make their own digital camera.

As soon as the photo/video is taken it's wirelessly sent to your iPad/Macbook.

Personally i'm not getting it for the cameras. They are of least importance to me.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
According to CNET, both cameras are for video only so no still pictures can be taken. This is just like the iPod nano with a camera. In all honestly, who would even consider taking a picture with an iPad, it's not practical especially since I know I'm never that far from my iPhone. Plus it would look ridicules.
That whole "its not made for photos" line from CNET is complete rubbish since Apple even includes a photo app so this is just a case of irresponsible journalism.

This is the problem with journalists today. Their job is to dig for the truth but unfortunately when it comes to Apple they are so easily caught in the Reality Distortion Field that they get suckered into the taglines and forget to actually ask questions or consider real world scenerios outside of the staged Apple demo room. "Cameras are for more than just taking pictures of people" and its a shame that nobody thought of asking about autofocus or document photo clarity because the iPad is supposed to be evolving into a true business tool that would benefit from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardfan

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW