I'm going to be entering college in the fall, and I'll be getting a computer of some kind for classes. Our family is really tight when it comes to money, and I'm considering saving up to purchase an iPad 2 (and the necessary accessories like a keyboard, smart cover, Pages app, etc) for college as my sole "computer". The particular college I'm going to has computer labs in almost every building where I could save a document to my email and print, etc.

What are your opinions on this, and has anyone else ever gone through college with only an iPad (or netbook)?

Thanks!
    Sara
    03-04-2011 04:47 PM
    I'm going to be entering college in the fall, and I'll be getting a computer of some kind for classes. Our family is really tight when it comes to money, and I'm considering saving up to purchase an iPad 2 (and the necessary accessories like a keyboard, smart cover, Pages app, etc) for college as my sole "computer". The particular college I'm going to has computer labs in almost every building where I could save a document to my email and print, etc.

What are your opinions on this, and has anyone else ever gone through college with only an iPad (or netbook)?

Thanks!
    Sara
    I like my ipad a lot but i wouldnt want to type a paper on it. I would recommend a keyboard for sure It would be more convenient for getting online and checking class websites and email. Some classes have online editions of books vs buying an actual textbook, but im not sure if they are compatible for reading on the ipad or not. If they are pdf files it wouldnt be a problem.
    iAmSara92 likes this.
    03-04-2011 05:59 PM
    if you have access to the school computers and dont mind it, then i would go ahead and get it, but personally i would rather get a laptop, as ipads arent quite a computer replacement. your situation im more willing to say it would be smarter to buy the laptop then it would to buy the ipad. although typing on the ipad isnt bad, especially if you plan on getting the keyboard. but by the time you save upand buy all that stuff you could of went ahead and got yourself a laptop anyways.
    03-04-2011 06:55 PM
    ...but by the time you save upand buy all that stuff you could of went ahead and got yourself a laptop anyways.
    True, but I'd only be able to afford a PC, and I'm trying to stay away from those. ;-P However, if it turns out that it would be better to get a laptop, I will go down that road.
    03-04-2011 07:23 PM
    haha i agree with you on that. im on my mbp right now and my girlfriend is across the room on her hp laptop and the fan is overpowering the tv. i think you would end up being happier with the laptop though, as you wouldnt have to run to the computer lab every time you had to do something the ipad couldnt do, or ask someone near by to use their computer.

not to mention the battery on this mbp is awesome lol
    03-04-2011 07:44 PM
    I use an iPad for school (typing notes, assignments etc) and I think it's pretty great, I also have an ancient Macbook (which is more like a desktop now) that I use to sync and update and backup my iPad.
    Unless you have somewhere to sync it and to save your documents then I would just get a laptop if you can.
    Even a Macbook air is small in size if thats what you want.
    03-05-2011 10:55 AM
    Another alternative could be getting the iPad for $399 (or $349) as a college student your likely on a budget, and may not need all the extra features the iPad 2 comes with... Use that extra $150 and toss it in the gas tank.
    03-05-2011 12:24 PM
    Coming from someone who tried using an ipad while taking college classes, it didn't work out. Other than being able to use it for internet research, using it for word processing, etc was not all that convenient. I ended up having to buy a laptop.
    03-05-2011 01:44 PM
    I do not have experience using the iPad for school, but do not think it would be the best choice. Just thinking of writing whole papers on it makes me cringe. By the time you put the extra money into accessories, it may not be that much cheaper than buying a laptop.

If you can't afford a MacBook, then go with a Windows laptop. I think having a laptop is better for school considering you'll have to use it for writing papers, research, etc.
    03-05-2011 02:41 PM
    If I were you I would get the laptop. I'm a college student myself and I have a macbook pro (although I will be buying the ipad 2). My school also has lots of computers, but as people have said before there are still certain things that you can only do on a laptop but not an ipad. At the end of the day your going to need the laptop so I would go for an inexpensive laptop and then buy an ipad (you can get first generation to save money).
    03-05-2011 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD