Since Apple acquired Dark Sky, I assumed the default Weather app would be a more visually appeasing version and it would basically be as accurate. With that being said, I still find the default Weather app to not be on par with Dark Sky.

Take the weather map for example. With Dark Sky, the clouds and rain intensity level are far more accurate. I expect the weather map for the default Weather app to basically mirror that of Dark Sky, but it does not.

How is your experience with the default Weather app in comparison to Dark Sky?
    08-13-2022 12:15 PM
    My experience has been the same as yours. The Apple Weather app is subpar at best compared to Dark Sky. I’m disappointed that more hasn’t been done since Apple acquired it. Currently I’m looking for another comparable weather app since Dark Sky will sunset on 12/31/22.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 02:21 PM
    I share both of your impressions. I am disappointed that it’s not on par with Dark Sky.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 02:41 PM
    My experience has been the same as yours. The Apple Weather app is subpar at best compared to Dark Sky. I’m disappointed that more hasn’t been done since Apple acquired it. Currently I’m looking for another comparable weather app since Dark Sky will sunset on 12/31/22.
    AccuWeather is pretty accurate in my area — Orlando — and I usually keep it installed as a backup to Dark Sky and also to compare the accuracy of the weather data.
    ksassy likes this.
    08-13-2022 03:10 PM
    My experience with the Apple weather app is more on par with Dark Sky now. Weather alerts and maps are very much in sync. I guess I missed the news about Dark Sky going away at the end of the year.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 03:27 PM
    I like the apple weather app quite a bit but there is room for improvement. Particularly the radar. But it is a visually appealing app in my opinion.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 03:54 PM
    I never used Apple weather until recently to show on the lock screen. But other weather apps are adding that now. It's seems to be as accurate as my other 10 weather apps. A bit lacky on features though. I mostly use the local TV station's weather app for details and forecasts. I never used Dark Sky. Don't plan on paying $3.99 for what I don't need.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 04:57 PM
    Apple Weather has always been good enough in my area. I usually use it on my phone (via Siri).

The precipitation notifications have been hit or miss (light rain for heavy rain, light rain for no rain, and light rain for light rain).

As for weather warnings and alerts, they’re exactly the same for every app since they are issued by ECCC (in Canada).
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 08:02 PM
    Take the weather map for example. With Dark Sky, the clouds and rain intensity level are far more accurate. I expect the weather map for the default Weather app to basically mirror that of Dark Sky, but it does not.
    At least in New England, I disagree. Dark Sky does this weird data smoothing that looks less refined that most other good weather apps that I have tried (Carrot and Hello are ones that I use regularly), and the Weather app also seems to have better defined maps.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2022 09:24 PM
    At least in New England, I disagree. Dark Sky does this weird data smoothing that looks less refined that most other good weather apps that I have tried (Carrot and Hello are ones that I use regularly), and the Weather app also seems to have better defined maps.
    The graphics of Dark Sky is lackluster for sure, but that is not my focus. The sections within the app that depicts clouds and rain intensity is on point in comparison to the native Weather app in my experience. Today was a great example. While at a nearby Twistee Treat getting me some chocolate ice cream, it started raining very hard.

The weather map in the Dark Sky app accurately depicted the rain intensity at that location whereas the native weather app barely showed that it was raining.
    08-13-2022 09:50 PM
    I look out of the window and it’s pouring.
    The weather app says cloudy/sunny.
    Or vice versa.
    Or extreme heat warnings are being displayed while temperatures are moderate. And stay that way until the next day.
    Or, a 60% probability for rain is being displayed, but the hourly forecast shows no rain - for as long as the forecast goes.
    Etc.
    So besides nice looks, the stock weather app doesn’t provide any real benefits for me.
    Just_Me_D and LP Slade like this.
    08-14-2022 06:17 AM
    The graphics of Dark Sky is lackluster for sure, but that is not my focus. The sections within the app that depicts clouds and rain intensity is on point in comparison to the native Weather app in my experience. Today was a great example. While at a nearby Twistee Treat getting me some chocolate ice cream, it started raining very hard.

The weather map in the Dark Sky app accurately depicted the rain intensity at that location whereas the native weather app barely showed that it was raining.
    So, again, I have a lot more experience with Dark Sky showing incorrect rain intensity graphics. Last week I was caught in a downpour when Dark Sky wasn’t showing rain in the area. To be fair, I hadn’t checked the stock weather app, but in the past I’ve found the stock weather app is generally no different from Dark Sky around here.

And as for its forecast for the day (cloudy, overcast, rain) it’s been mediocre around here. I was hoping when Apple took it over that they would improve it, but so far they haven’t.

The notifications for when it’s going to rain or not rain are almost exactly the same for the weather app and Dark Sky (I have them both on.) Clearly last Sunday it was off.

Carrot to me is the best of the weather apps I’ve tried. I have the rudeness turned off - if you couldn’t turn that off, I’d be looking for something else.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-14-2022 06:31 AM
    So, again, I have a lot more experience with Dark Sky showing incorrect rain intensity graphics. Last week I was caught in a downpour when Dark Sky wasn’t showing rain in the area. To be fair, I hadn’t checked the stock weather app, but in the past I’ve found the stock weather app is generally no different from Dark Sky around here.

And as for its forecast for the day (cloudy, overcast, rain) it’s been mediocre around here. I was hoping when Apple took it over that they would improve it, but so far they haven’t.

The notifications for when it’s going to rain or not rain are almost exactly the same for the weather app and Dark Sky (I have them both on.) Clearly last Sunday it was off.

Carrot to me is the best of the weather apps I’ve tried. I have the rudeness turned off - if you couldn’t turn that off, I’d be looking for something else.
    Understood
    08-14-2022 08:36 AM
    So, yesterday, when I asked for the forecast, Siri mentioned that data is provided by The Weather Channel. I wonder if Dark Sky uses a completely different source.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-14-2022 08:51 AM
    So, yesterday, when I asked for the forecast, Siri mentioned that data is provided by The Weather Channel. I wonder if Dark Sky uses a completely different source.
    Check out the Data Attribution list via the following link when you get a moment.

https://darksky.net/attribution

In addition, the information found via this link from 2011 is quite informative, but whether or not it’s accurate, I do not know.

https://www.gislounge.com/explaining...ark-sky-works/
    08-14-2022 08:59 AM
    Or vice versa.
    Or extreme heat warnings are being displayed while temperatures are moderate. And stay that way until the next day.
    Or, a 60% probability for rain is being displayed, but the hourly forecast shows no rain - for as long as the forecast goes.
    Etc.
    So besides nice looks, the stock weather app doesn’t provide any real benefits for me.
    P.S. I know it's not Apple who is actually making a forecast, but pulling data from elsewhere.
    But the inconsistencies between different displays in one Apple app (and sometimes not even reflecting the live reality) only allow for these conclusions:

• different app panels are filled with data from different sources
    • or same sources but significantly different refresh/sync intervals for different panels.

Sometimes, when finding wrong/outdated information in the Apple app, I go to weather sites like weather.com or Accuweather or so.They are always accurate to at least display the current conditions properly.
    And there never are discrepancies between different panels on their sites.
    Their hourly forecast also seems more accurate than Apple's.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-14-2022 09:36 AM
    My experience with Dark Sky remains where it is superior for short-term and very local. The IBM (Weather Channel) data in the default weather app is often better than Dark Sky for a days out forecast.

People interested in this topic might appreciate the Forecast Advisor site that measures and ranks popular weather data firms and apps.
    08-14-2022 01:02 PM
    Check out the Data Attribution list via the following link when you get a moment.

https://darksky.net/attribution

In addition, the information found via this link from 2011 is quite informative, but whether or not it’s accurate, I do not know.

https://www.gislounge.com/explaining...ark-sky-works/
    This confirms that they have two different sources of data and, from the looks of it, prediction methods.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-14-2022 02:15 PM
    Or vice versa.
    Etc.
    I have the same issue here in Prague, CZ. It says sunny, but it’s raining. Says there will be rain, but nothing in the hourly forecast. Some of the info available for cities in the US don’t show for me, despite the same info being available on the weather channel’s website. Yahoo Weather and AccuWeather almost always have more accuracy.
    08-15-2022 11:24 AM
    I bought Dark Sky some years ago because of it’s reputation for accuracy… it’s undeserved ! In fact I bought it because of a particularly weather sensitive roof/window job. Unfortunately the job was on a hill and the next range of hills is twenty miles away and SW of me, the prevailing wind is SW . So I could see pretty accurately what was
    going on. Of course the whole point was to not be there if it was going to rain ! Dark Sky was consistently wrong for six weeks !! It would tell me it was raining where I was, when it wasn’t twenty miles away.
    So in UK Dark Sky was useless to me, still is !
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-16-2022 06:41 AM
    I’ve been using Carrot Weather for a while but I think I’m in the market for a new app. Problem I use the Infograph modular face on my watch and some weather apps don’t have an icon for that particular face.

The hunt continues.
    08-19-2022 08:55 AM
    My experience with Dark Sky remains where it is superior for short-term and very local. The IBM (Weather Channel) data in the default weather app is often better than Dark Sky for a days out forecast.

People interested in this topic might appreciate the Forecast Advisor site that measures and ranks popular weather data firms and apps.
    Dark Sky was once really good. The year before Apple purchased it they started going noticeably downhill, but still wasn't actually bad. Though compared to the Weather Channel-powered native weather app, they're coming up short in my area at least.

Apple Weather is still not on par with Dark Sky in my opinion-29a9a72c-ebd3-4f9a-98be-ed0b5c05303e.png
    08-19-2022 10:24 AM
    Dark Sky was once really good. The year before Apple purchased it they started going noticeably downhill, but still wasn't actually bad. Though compared to the Weather Channel-powered native weather app, they're coming up short in my area at least.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29A9A72C-EBD3-4F9A-98BE-ED0B5C05303E.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	132029
    This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing this! I am disappointed with DarkSky as well.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-19-2022 11:20 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29A9A72C-EBD3-4F9A-98BE-ED0B5C05303E.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	132029
    This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing this! I am disappointed with DarkSky as well.
    I'm not convinced the Apple purchase has anything to do with it. Some weather apps are better in some areas. The Forecast Advisor site can show that. Before the Apple purchase Dar Sky was not as good as a general app for some places I frequent but it was and still is tremendous for hyper local matters and especially via using your phone's barometer.

From a long time in trail work, ski area work and and outdoor programs/events management I know I'm not alone in the awareness of how good Dark Sky is with the hyper local aspect.

Where we have two homes and do frequent travel my personal experience has been close to what Forecast Advisor has shown for years. My ski work and volunteering includes a retired and active meteorology and climate data visualization pro each. The pros and far more obsessed than I am have these same conclusions.

Overall the weather apps seem mature. There are some sites I wish were mobile friendly if not in apps. Some great apps continue to add and improve their layers such as Ventusky.

It is all very entertaining to me as I realize I no longer watch a barometer in my own home or make phone calls to people far away for such info.

Annie_M likes this.
    08-20-2022 10:11 AM
    I'm not convinced the Apple purchase has anything to do with it. Some weather apps are better in some areas. The Forecast Advisor site can show that. Before the Apple purchase Dar Sky was not as good as a general app for some places I frequent but it was and still is tremendous for hyper local matters and especially via using your phone's barometer.

From a long time in trail work, ski area work and and outdoor programs/events management I know I'm not alone in the awareness of how good Dark Sky is with the hyper local aspect.

Where we have two homes and do frequent travel my personal experience has been close to what Forecast Advisor has shown for years. My ski work and volunteering includes a retired and active meteorology and climate data visualization pro each. The pros and far more obsessed than I am have these same conclusions.

Overall the weather apps seem mature. There are some sites I wish were mobile friendly if not in apps. Some great apps continue to add and improve their layers such as Ventusky.

It is all very entertaining to me as I realize I no longer watch a barometer in my own home or make phone calls to people far away for such info.

No the Apple purchase had nothing to do with their forecasting, I was just using that as a time reference. My area is fairly bad at weather prediction, which is why I usually run around with at least 4 weather apps installed. One of them could actually be correct. Dark Sky started out being shockingly good, but deteriorated over time. I get the best idea of what's coming if I combine local forecasters's predictions with The Weather Channel and Radarscope.
    08-20-2022 06:00 PM
26 12