iPhone keyboard issues

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I find the iPhone keyboard horrible. Misspelling constantly. I am looking for an alternative keyboard and would appreciate anyone’s experience and advice.
Thanks!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Try resetting keyboard dictionary.

Personally I’m used to typing on the iPhone pro max, wouldn’t be able to type on the se, way too small.

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
Just curious, do you swipe or tap the keys? For me swiping on the iPhone keyboard is quite accurate. Using the 13 Pro.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm another fan of SwiftKey and will point out at work we have people using it at some scale. Our company mobile units in management are 200+ and hundreds of staff use their own devices.

If you get SwiftKey take some time to understand it. Know the row of numbers, display options, and also how to switch between keyboards.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Several years or so (?) ago, I installed Gboard to test it out, but thought noticed an alert (or notice) in fine print that the key sequence might be recorded and/or fed back to developers, or something to that effect. I do not now if the "developer meant "Google" or any app developers whose apps are tied to the Gboard (think the latter). I immediately deleted Gboard and never looked back. Now that I encountered this thread, I might be interested in alternative keyboard again. Any quick advice on this privacy issue before having to delve into the world's most reliable source of info?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Several years or so (?) ago, I installed Gboard to test it out, but thought noticed an alert (or notice) in fine print that the key sequence might be recorded and/or fed back to developers, or something to that effect. I do not now if the "developer meant "Google" or any app developers whose apps are tied to the Gboard (think the latter). I immediately deleted Gboard and never looked back. Now that I encountered this thread, I might be interested in alternative keyboard again. Any quick advice on this privacy issue before having to delve into the world's most reliable source of info?

I suspect both.
  1. Alphabet (Google) could receive the keystrokes, because you're using their keyboard, so they can send the data to their servers for analytics, text suggestions, etc.
    This is why Apple uses their own keyboard on sensitive fields, like passwords.
  2. The running app developer, by the simple fact that you're using the app. This is not keyboard specific.

Now, I don't know Gboard enough if #1 would be doing such a thing or not, but it is something to keep in mind regardless of the keyboards you're using. The trick is to read the Privacy Statement and the EULA (yeah, I know).

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Try resetting keyboard dictionary.

Personally I’m used to typing on the iPhone pro max, wouldn’t be able to type on the se, way too small.

I have to admit, that that is the only thing I've noticed from switching from the larger iPhone 8+ to a smaller 12 Pro. While I love my 12 Pro, I have noticed that typing on the smaller keyboard is frustrating.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find apples keyboard to be very good haven’t found a decent replacement.

I have tried a few 3rd-party keyboards, but I always end up returning to the default iPhone keyboard. Although it isn’t perfect, it’s good enough for me… :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using SwiftKey since iOS 8. I really like how you can remove non words from the keyboard dictionary, among other things.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m with you Turbo, for me Life became a lot easier when I started swiping instead of tapping (a few months ago). I started swiping thanks to my Watch S7 keyboard actually (and shockingly) being quite functional/useful with swipe. A few weeks after, I started swiping on my iPhone. Now I wish I would have started sooner.
Occasionally I’ll swipe ridiculously fast and get a few errors. But when I move at a quick but less impatient swiping pace, swipe for me is easily superior.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2