howdy folks. i am trying out the 13 pro this week and really confused about photo management...

on previous phones (all android) when i moved a photo in the gallery, from one album to another, it moved. it appears on this iphone that i have a "recents" album, a "send anywhere" album (the app i used to move a bunch of pictures from android to iphone), and then the individual albums of "travel", "models", "polaroids" etc that i created to separate out pics on the phone. and it appears that when i moves photos they remain in all three albums at once.

this seems hugely inefficient. is there a better way? or a better app for photo management? i want a main album where i can see the pictures i've taken with the iphone's camera and then i want separate albums of film scans i've shot with other cameras. should i start over and use "photos" on my macbook? i don't want everything synced or backed up to icloud. so there's also that. please i need help!!

thank you!!
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 11-16-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    11-16-2021 12:49 PM
    That's the way the Photos app works: everything is on the camera roll, and albums are a way to segregate specific photos and videos. You can delete photos from specific albums but if you delete them from the main photo roll they will also delete from the albums. Albums are subsets of all of your photos.

Photos on the Mac works the same way.

There are third party apps, and Google makes a Google Photos app for iPhone, but the iPhone works best with the stock Photos app. I used Google Photos for iOS when I first moved to iPhone in 2015 but I've long since given up on Google Photos and switched to iCloud Photos and the stock Photos app.
    Annie_M likes this.
    11-16-2021 02:57 PM
    That's the way the Photos app works: everything is on the camera roll, and albums are a way to segregate specific photos and videos. You can delete photos from specific albums but if you delete them from the main photo roll they will also delete from the albums. Albums are subsets of all of your photos.

Photos on the Mac works the same way.

There are third party apps, and Google makes a Google Photos app for iPhone, but the iPhone works best with the stock Photos app. I used Google Photos for iOS when I first moved to iPhone in 2015 but I've long since given up on Google Photos and switched to iCloud Photos and the stock Photos app.
    thank you. i am uploading all my android pics to google photos now and then hope to sync them to my iphone after. i think this will be a one time pain and get easier after this initial transfer of thousands of photos. i will consider switching to apple photos but am interested to see if having separate galleries solves my dilemma of mixing new iphone camera photos with my old film photo uploads. thanks again!
    Annie_M and Lee_Bo like this.
    11-17-2021 10:55 AM
    thank you. i am uploading all my android pics to google photos now and then hope to sync them to my iphone after. i think this will be a one time pain and get easier after this initial transfer of thousands of photos. i will consider switching to apple photos but am interested to see if having separate galleries solves my dilemma of mixing new iphone camera photos with my old film photo uploads. thanks again!
    Please keep us posted on your progress!!!
    walterkurtz likes this.
    11-17-2021 11:34 AM
    howdy folks. i am trying out the 13 pro this week and really confused about photo management...

on previous phones (all android) when i moved a photo in the gallery, from one album to another, it moved. it appears on this iphone that i have a "recents" album, a "send anywhere" album (the app i used to move a bunch of pictures from android to iphone), and then the individual albums of "travel", "models", "polaroids" etc that i created to separate out pics on the phone. and it appears that when i moves photos they remain in all three albums at once.

this seems hugely inefficient. is there a better way? or a better app for photo management? i want a main album where i can see the pictures i've taken with the iphone's camera and then i want separate albums of film scans i've shot with other cameras. should i start over and use "photos" on my macbook? i don't want everything synced or backed up to icloud. so there's also that. please i need help!!

thank you!!
    Much easier to organize everything on your Mac first.
    walterkurtz and scruffypig like this.
    11-17-2021 01:26 PM
    To cut Lightroom costs and maximize bundle value and privacy I've moved a lot of photos including film scans to the Apple Photos. The Apple Photos will allow you to adjust dates, and keywords from Lightroom are written to the files and searchable.

My job requires knowledge and use of several popular platforms. I'm happy with my now committing the photos to Apple platform because nothing really touches the phone and desktop integration or M1 powered computers. Still, I get how being used to something creates issues and frustrations.

It takes a while for Apple's cloud and client sync to learn all the photos, find duplicates, and recognize faces.
    11-17-2021 01:48 PM
    For organizing photos I highly recommend the MyPics app. It will allow you to do pretty much everything you stated and a lot more. Has a small yearly cost but it’s so worth it for organizing. They have a free trial before you purchase.
    Last edited by turbochgd; 11-18-2021 at 01:35 AM.
    11-17-2021 04:15 PM

thank you!!
    Take a look at the app Slidebox. This is what I use on my phone and I use it to organize/add pictures (from the Recents) to the different folders I've made.
    walterkurtz likes this.
    11-17-2021 05:40 PM
    To cut Lightroom costs and maximize bundle value and privacy I've moved a lot of photos including film scans to the Apple Photos. The Apple Photos will allow you to adjust dates, and keywords from Lightroom are written to the files and searchable.

My job requires knowledge and use of several popular platforms. I'm happy with my now committing the photos to Apple platform because nothing really touches the phone and desktop integration or M1 powered computers. Still, I get how being used to something creates issues and frustrations.

It takes a while for Apple's cloud and client sync to learn all the photos, find duplicates, and recognize faces.
    thank you. i am currently on with apple support for the umpteenth time this week...

after making room on my new macbook, i was able to load all of the pictures and videos from my android into "photos".

i then plugged the iphone into my macbook and using the finder synced to selected folders. after confirming that all my photos and videos were on my new iphone i removed them from "photos"...i literally deleted all of them (they're backed up on external drives and on google). i also turned off icloud sync.

i am on with apple support now because i can no longer delete an individual photo from my phone.

i suspect this is not possible without icloud.

EDIT support basically said to start over, sync everything from icloud instead of finder then disconnect icloud sync. i'm skeptical to be honest.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 11-18-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    11-18-2021 01:53 PM
    Take a look at the app Slidebox. This is what I use on my phone and I use it to organize/add pictures (from the Recents) to the different folders I've made.
    thank you! will look.
    11-18-2021 01:54 PM
    For organizing photos I highly recommend the MyPics app. It will allow you to do pretty much everything you stated and a lot more. Has a small yearly cost but it’s so worth it for organizing. They have a free trial before you purchase.
    i will check it out thank you!
    11-18-2021 01:54 PM
    thank you. i am currently on with apple support for the umpteenth time this week...

after making room on my new macbook, i was able to load all of the pictures and videos from my android into "photos".

i then plugged the iphone into my macbook and using the finder synced to selected folders. after confirming that all my photos and videos were on my new iphone i removed them from "photos"...i literally deleted all of them (they're backed up on external drives and on google). i also turned off icloud sync.

i am on with apple support now because i can no longer delete an individual photo from my phone.

i suspect this is not possible without icloud.

EDIT support basically said to start over, sync everything from icloud instead of finder then disconnect icloud sync. i'm skeptical to be honest.
    Do you have a Mac? If so consider the Photos app there for larger scale management and changes. Watch for the processing to be done. Even if not know the initial processing and sync between device and cloud takes a while.
    11-19-2021 06:49 AM
    Do you have a Mac? If so consider the Photos app there for larger scale management and changes. Watch for the processing to be done. Even if not know the initial processing and sync between device and cloud takes a while.
    yes macbook air. i've always had mac computers but this is my first iphone. i gave up on photos and am using google photos as we speak to transfer all of my pictures to my new iphone. i've seen a couple of comments that photos can take DAYS or WEEKS to upload all of your pics. google seems to be taking hours. will update if/when i succeed. thank you!!
    11-19-2021 02:40 PM
    yes macbook air. i've always had mac computers but this is my first iphone. i gave up on photos and am using google photos as we speak to transfer all of my pictures to my new iphone. i've seen a couple of comments that photos can take DAYS or WEEKS to upload all of your pics. google seems to be taking hours. will update if/when i succeed. thank you!!
    The uploading of your photos speed is a networking matter not what hosting platform you choose. A lot of photos at once and sync across multiple devices will mean a fair amount of time for the cloud side to process - not to see your photos.

I'm an Alphabet stockholder happy with return on the investment so I'm totally fine with free Google services and revenue generated from that spying. However, Apple's photos has evolved well and their bundles are value and surety the way iCloud backup and Time Machine work. Saying you are a photographer, I also suggested it knowing Lightroom exports will have your keywords in Apple Photos.
    11-19-2021 04:28 PM
    Days or weeks?

Try photos it’s much quicker thank you think.
    TgeekB and scruffypig like this.
    11-19-2021 04:30 PM
    There is no way it will take days or weeks. I’m not sure where you are getting your information from but stick with what you are hearing in this thread. Lots of great experienced Apple users who will not stir you the wrong direction.
    11-19-2021 04:49 PM
    There is no way it will take days or weeks. I’m not sure where you are getting your information from but stick with what you are hearing in this thread. Lots of great experienced Apple users who will not stir you the wrong direction.
    thank you.

this morning after speaking with apple i tried again. in an hour i think 244 of the 2000 photos and videos i put into photos on my mac had shown up on my iphone. there are an additional 6000 photos and videos i would want access to on my device.

i don't think icloud and photos is the approach for me. i want to be able to control what i keep on my phone vs what i keep on my macbook. syncing across all devices really does not appeal to me. i don't want or need all my phone pics on my laptop. i just want to dump all of my previous phones' photos onto my new phone...

i was not expecting it to be so difficult. i thought i had figured it out days ago when i added photos using the finder. but then i couldn't delete them from my phone. the garbage can was greyed out. for a lifelong mac user this system is baffling to me.
    11-19-2021 06:22 PM
    Days or weeks?

Try photos it’s much quicker thank you think.
    it was painful to watch this morning. i have 60GB of pictures i want on my phone. i don't know the size of the files that made it, but it took an hour to put 244 photos and 33 videos into the cloud out of approximately 8,000.
    11-19-2021 06:25 PM
    it was painful to watch this morning. i have 60GB of pictures i want on my phone. i don't know the size of the files that made it, but it took an hour to put 244 photos and 33 videos into the cloud out of approximately 8,000.
    Why didn’t you just plug your iPhone to your mac?
    11-19-2021 06:28 PM
    Why didn’t you just plug your iPhone to your mac?
    i did that days ago. i succeeded in putting thousands of photos on to my iphone. then i couldn't delete a single one. the trash bin was greyed out.

idk what to tell you. it isn't working for me. but it isn't from a lack of effort.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 11-19-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    11-19-2021 06:45 PM
    thank you.

this morning after speaking with apple i tried again. in an hour i think 244 of the 2000 photos and videos i put into photos on my mac had shown up on my iphone. there are an additional 6000 photos and videos i would want access to on my device.

i don't think icloud and photos is the approach for me. i want to be able to control what i keep on my phone vs what i keep on my macbook. syncing across all devices really does not appeal to me. i don't want or need all my phone pics on my laptop. i just want to dump all of my previous phones' photos onto my new phone...

i was not expecting it to be so difficult. i thought i had figured it out days ago when i added photos using the finder. but then i couldn't delete them from my phone. the garbage can was greyed out. for a lifelong mac user this system is baffling to me.
    I think you are making it more difficult than it is and not realizing how much the platforms and products are the same.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I know this stuff from our having near 1000 employees, having to know and use different platforms, and we have a lot of support to staff personal use. We have around 200 Apple device users and many in those 1000 who get personal support.

I've been through Adobe, Google, Microsoft and Apple migrations. Common cognitive bias issues get to people but the reality is it's not much different than ours and the fleet cars just have buttons in different places. If you are using a system that keeps originals or let's you revert to originals and offers the files on demand you will always have times of sync, processing and delay.

A few giants won here - photos and cloud. They are Adobe, Microsoft, Google and Alphabet. They're more alike than people and those firms would like to admit. I get the impression you might be like many tilting windmills here.

If you value those 6000 photos sync them to cloud, to multiple devices, and to another form of media. If you're not going to use photo management system features just use file sync but that will be its own mess with thousands of files.
    11-20-2021 08:34 AM
    I think you are making it more difficult than it is and not realizing how much the platforms and products are the same.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I know this stuff from our having near 1000 employees, having to know and use different platforms, and we have a lot of support to staff personal use. We have around 200 Apple device users and many in those 1000 who get personal support.

I've been through Adobe, Google, Microsoft and Apple migrations. Common cognitive bias issues get to people but the reality is it's not much different than ours and the fleet cars just have buttons in different places. If you are using a system that keeps originals or let's you revert to originals and offers the files on demand you will always have times of sync, processing and delay.

A few giants won here - photos and cloud. They are Adobe, Microsoft, Google and Alphabet. They're more alike than people and those firms would like to admit. I get the impression you might be like many tilting windmills here.

If you value those 6000 photos sync them to cloud, to multiple devices, and to another form of media. If you're not going to use photo management system features just use file sync but that will be its own mess with thousands of files.
    i agree. had lunch with a mate the other day. like literally everyone else in the film industry, he's an iphone user. i told him about my woes and he said 'you're over thinking it'...iphones are meant to be simple.

that being said i tried again last night. i ticked on icloud and photos on my new macbook, on my iphone and even logged into icloud on the web. i put photos into the photos app on my macbook. nothing happened anywhere else. i looked and it said 'unable to upload'. i searched the web for that error apparently it's fairly common. i tried a fix that seemed to work. i went to bed. i am up now and checked the iphone. photos is empty. just checked photos at icloud.com, also empty. i don't know what else to do. i'll probably walk to the apple store today. i think that will be my 6th time there this week? or i can use google. or use google's phone.

i'm going to try uploading directly to icloud.com but there may legitimately be a problem somewhere. and i absolutely agree it may be me. but i've used macs my entire life so apple's way of doing things isn't entirely foreign to me.

EDIT wow it seems to be working. bypassing photos on my MB and uploading directly to icloud.com. what a pain.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 11-20-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    11-20-2021 09:39 AM
    i agree. had lunch with a mate the other day. like literally everyone else in the film industry, he's an iphone user. i told him about my woes and he said 'you're over thinking it'...iphones are meant to be simple.

that being said i tried again last night. i ticked on icloud and photos on my new macbook, on my iphone and even logged into icloud on the web. i put photos into the photos app on my macbook. nothing happened anywhere else. i looked and it said 'unable to upload'. i searched the web for that error apparently it's fairly common. i tried a fix that seemed to work. i went to bed. i am up now and checked the iphone. photos is empty. just checked photos at icloud.com, also empty. i don't know what else to do. i'll probably walk to the apple store today. i think that will be my 6th time there this week? or i can use google. or use google's phone.

i'm going to try uploading directly to icloud.com but there may legitimately be a problem somewhere. and i absolutely agree it may be me. but i've used macs my entire life so apple's way of doing things isn't entirely foreign to me.
    Maybe you have a problem with your ISP and office or home office networking? I'm at well over 10,000 photos move to Apple now. All the background processing and AI takes a while but previews are there in a hurry.

At times when I help staff I find they don't even have 1 Mbps upload and crappy cheap home WiFi or crappy gear for free or rented from their ISP. This stuff also works better where I use Cisco and Ubiquiti. The mass marketers do sell a good Ubiquiti Amplify brand that works very well.

Even with network quality, when I batched a few hundred or near 2000 images it takes a while and that's same for all the platforms. You might just need to start and then leave alone what you're trying.

Something is an outlier here because you are having problems with what at scale I usually find an easy and reliable thing for our hundreds of staff members. Apple, Microsoft and Google have hundreds of millions of people doing this. It would be front page news if say 100-400 million people had something that didn't work or worked poorly.
    11-20-2021 09:55 AM
    Maybe you have a problem with your ISP and office or home office networking? I'm at well over 10,000 photos move to Apple now. All the background processing and AI takes a while but previews are there in a hurry.

At times when I help staff I find they don't even have 1 Mbps upload and crappy cheap home WiFi or crappy gear for free or rented from their ISP. This stuff also works better where I use Cisco and Ubiquiti. The mass marketers do sell a good Ubiquiti Amplify brand that works very well.

Even with network quality, when I batched a few hundred or near 2000 images it takes a while and that's same for all the platforms. You might just need to start and then leave alone what you're trying.

Something is an outlier here because you are having problems with what at scale I usually find an easy and reliable thing for our hundreds of staff members. Apple, Microsoft and Google have hundreds of millions of people doing this. It would be front page news if say 100-400 million people had something that didn't work or worked poorly.
    totally agree. i'm not even a digital photographer. i shoot film. and i imagine millions of others have had no problem moving photos on to their devices. and...update: it works!

after half an hour with apple support, i am currently syncing albums/photos from my MBA to my 13pro. i don't know what fixed it, logging out of apple ID or quitting or restarting for the umpteenth time, but it currently works. now i just have to decide if i want everything synced through icloud or if i should go back to manual syncing through finder. i think i would prefer the ability to delete from my phone without deleting anywhere else. and if i have to plug it in to do so that may be the cost of the additional level of control.

thanks for your advice!
    Annie_M, Ed7789 and TgeekB like this.
    11-20-2021 11:59 AM
    i think this will be a one time pain and get easier after this initial transfer of thousands of photos.
    As a photographer, it is a “one time pain” but that pain lasts a while. I went through the same issues when I moved from Android to Apple several years ago.

I’m about a 50/50 photographer (50% Canon and 50% iPhone) so I know then PITA you are going through. You’ll just have to figure out something that works for you and go with it. All my Canon photos are backed up to an external drive which is being backed up to a cloud service. I just let Photos handle my iPhone photos and move/edit/delete whatever I need to.

You’ll get there.
    Annie_M and scruffypig like this.
    11-21-2021 08:28 AM
38 12